Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Jump Drive

Discussion in 'General' started by AnttiFin, Feb 17, 2019.

?

you want to use jump drive to go other servers with your ship?

1. yes

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. no

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. AnttiFin Trainee Engineer

What if Jump drive work also through servers?

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Not being a “multiplayer” player, I really don’t care.

3. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

Not at all... People building excessive ships in PVE with no hassle then jump to PVP servers. or exploits galore, not to mention mods incompatibility etc

4. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I don't know about using jump drives to do it but, yeah, I'm all for joining servers. Apparently, so is Marek. @rexxar built the framework, or at least a working mod that can make it happen.

Of course, it's more than just writing code that will allow it. The server admins of all servers involved must be in agreement and work together because:
    and that's just the tip of the iceberg. If it's an uncontrolled free-for-all then it doesn't have much of a future. If done correctly it could make Space Engineers a "must have" game.

I am optimistic because, as I said earlier, Marek has publicly stated that he would like to see linked servers. He has also stated that he would like to have Keen public servers, although a fee may be involved. Official Keen servers that are linked?

Could be.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Would it be safe to say that without this capability you've found the missing link?

6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Safe?
    No.

7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I can see it being a cool thing to have, as it would add a feeling of jumping to other sectors of space. For me personally I wouldn't use the option unless it was a server of someone I knew really well and if that is the case we more than likely would be working together and not be so far apart where a jump drive was needed, so based on that I voted no.

8. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Well, just want remark that if a recurring fee gets involved to play SE, I'm outta the same moment. Death criterium for games for me. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Malware Master Engineer

I believe that was about playing on those specific servers, not playing SE. I can't say that's unfair given the cost of running and maintaining servers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Lord Grey I feel the same way, I would not want to pay to play on certain servers, but that just is also not my play style.

11. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I'd prefer jump gates between servers instead of jump drives. I always liked the style of jump gates.

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I believe a couple years back people were exploring the idea of linking servers together. But I don't want to JUMP to conclusions if it ever got anywhere. But the puns definitely have some legs.

13. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, I believe years ago I posted a thread, maybe in the forum about servers, in which I postulated that since an SE session consists of a one billion cubic kilometer space, and when people play they tend to stay within about 200,000 kilometers (I'm being generous) of the origin, then perhaps a group of admin server owner/operators could get together and create adjoining 200k cubic kilometer "sectors" all around the origin. Each "sector" would be unique, but all sectors would run the same mods. If you are allowed in any sectors, you are allowed in all of them. I'm not entirely sure how moving from sector to sector would work. It would be great if it could be accomplished seamlessly, but I'm guessing the "jump gate" model would probably end up being used.

My thinking was that individual servers would have less performance issues if they limited their world size to something like 200k or even smaller. What I was really hoping was that since we are talking about actual servers here and not just laptops running Windows Server, the machines could "talk" to each other, and idle or lightly used servers could "help" busy servers.

SE on a vast scale would be... would be...

Excuse me. I need to be alone for a minute.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.