Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Just one thing so far (with .7)

Discussion in 'General' started by Lupinemaxx, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

I took a big hit with v .7 as I used a bucket load of mod sandstone for a massive project. The mod is apparently abandoned. Not the fault of Keen....I know. So, I'll take the good with the bad.

One tiny little detail I want to put on my wishlist. Just before V .7, placing any object permanently changed any soil surface to that of the road texture (and it stayed that way). This I loved when it happened, because then camps and grounds created took on a 'worn in' ground appearance without the plastic look of freshly tilled soil from a hand plow or cart. It also allowed the construction of roads and footpaths that didn't take on that 'plasticy' look and would match right up with the roads already in the game. This was wonderful for me because I refuse to switch back and forth with creative/survival modes. As well any ground texture changes in creative mode always appeared choppy and dicey anyway. Not switching from survival to creative also was a lesson learned long ago about light shaders going bonkers when flipping creative/survival to and fro, the result being torches cutting in and out relentlessly when turning back and forth horizontally. So to make roads? I rather not switch modes anyway.

I liked that......could you guys bring that back?
    --- Automerge ---
    Other than that, please - carry on. You guys are doing fantastic work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Even though I don't like the feature of nature being completely destroyed because you can't plant grass if you want to do some creative landscaping around your structures, that feature is not removed from the game.

You can just plant a timber in the ground and grass disappears. Put down a foundation - you don't even have to finish building it, and it does the effect you want in your post.

They didn't remove that In order to bring it back? So I'm not sure what problem exactly you are having...because the game still works that way.

I wish I could plant grass. Having a clean line around walls sticking out of the ground, especially on log walls is very unappealing to me. Covering that unsightly line with grass really made the structures feel like they were a part of the environment.

I hate that feature very much, but they didn't remove it. The game still does that. A lot.

The only thing I like about it is that now grass doesn't show under structure that is too close to the ground. That's the only good thing I can say about it. Until they add the ability to plant grass, it has significantly marred my enjoyment of the game. I wish I could disable it.

3. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

I apologize if I wasn't clear. V .6 (near the end of it) let the player place a row of 20 some large blocks then remove them for a 'road' or 'cleared area' without that 'mud' appearance of the tilled ground.

I tried it. I placed stick frames then remove them to try and 'clean up' the forest floor texture as in .6. Thus far, placing 4 stick frames then removing them, 2 of the 4 blocks revert back to the original soil. Hence - no path, clearing or road making that way.

Grass planting? I did have a mod for grass planting - but it hasn't been updated to v .7 yet. That one is worth the wait. Just as you pointed out, having grass covering the 'fresh' appearing soils for a 'lived in and aged' appearance is better. There might even be others out there - might be worth your time to check it out since that sounds just what you are looking for! I'd be happy to share that link but it's pointless ATM - it does need updating.

4. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Ahh... It honestly sounds like a bug then. 2 out of 4 blocks doing one thing but not the others. That's definitely a bug because the behavior of blocks has to be consistent.

They redid the grid system, so I would post that on the support forum. That's where they are looking for bugs now. They keep telling people to post this stuff there now. Did you know you can now make a row of blocks in survival? I think it's hold for a few seconds and drag. I'm not sure what exactly the keys are. I saw it on the live stream and they said that you could now put down blocks In rows like in creative mode, but in survival. And they come with the unbuilt stick frames.

Then if the behaviour is still inconsistent, you can just hammer out those blocks that don't create the path and put them in by hand. That might work. (And then you can report for sure.)

You could also stick timbers into the ground - that also clears grass. Then hammer the timber back to inventory, but you might not get a straight road with that. Hmm.

Thanks for the suggestion about a grass planting mod! I hadn't thought of that. Here is hoping they implement it like they did with trees. :) Always sucks having your favorite mods go out of date.

5. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

You nailed it. I only work in survival. I could potentially make clearings and roads by switching from survival to creative and back - but as I discovered a year ago, switching as such comes with a whole different set if issues. So that's out. Maybe I just haven't built enough in my new world for .7 (still hanging on to the old .6 save file - too much work to abandon if I don't have to. Waiting on modders to update) I'll have to spend more time in .7 and see how it goes.

Maybe that's it. I haven't constructed a 'camp' yet with a decent amount of blocks......maybe after a while the desired effect will get triggered.

6. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Well, in the latest hotfix, it seems every block now almost always ignores clearing grass... I've gotten so used to being upset about the visible line on the bottom of blocks that I didn't realize how useful it was not to have grass stick out from under stone blocks or through floorboards.

I wish we could have a clear compromise. We need to be able to control "grass clearing" in a clear manner. Having that behaviour occur naturally but then being able to restore the original grass around the outer edges seems like the most straightforward way.

Even the timbers don't clear grass anymore. Large blocks "rarely". But it happens once in a while. Unclear how.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Thank you Tenzo - I feel vindicated now. Keen Dev testers can't miss what you just described while they are in-game...and more than likely I imagine that either they will eventually set block placement to clear ground textures to at least what it was (road) or a new unique texture altogether. Were I planning it myself, I would make a tool (or allow an existing tool) to specifically alter just the surface of the soil texture (and not the soil itself) for a possible alternate texture (road dirt, a unique cleared soil or grass) so players such as ourselves (well all players, actually) can do some desired landscaping.

The v .7 notes did suggest some hurdles for the Dev team to jump yet. Hells, my sounds aren't working correctly. I can bear with it. They've done a fantastic job thus far.

Thanks again for the affirmation Tenzo.
    --- Automerge ---
    Oh.....Tenzo......I rolled back to .6.4. Here's the link to show how. Easy Peasy.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/333950/discussions/0/1621724915789852485/

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@Lupinemaxx

I think I discovered the secret.

There is a delayed reaction to the grass clearing.

Lay down a bunch of stone foundations in a line, and even though they are close enough to the ground that the grass peeks through them when you build them, come back later and you will find that the entire area is cleared.

And it seems to happen rather consistently, it is just not instant. I have not tried it with wooden blocks, but it seems to work for all the stone foundation blocks. You just have to wait a little while.

But the downside is, it might keep pruning grass, even if you later drop some on the edges in creative mode. I'm not sure I like this change. It is a little strange.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Tenzo - Glad to hear you are sticking with it. I'm giving it some time. My sounds (hammering, trees falling etc...) aren't even working right. I'm dying to get back into it. I'm waiting for -most- of my mods to be updated so I can get back to my .6 world I spent half a year in. Sadly, I'll never recover a sandstone mod desert project I spent ages on. That sandstone mod is dead. I found a Chasm @
    Fareon F-4/E-2 that just begged to be bridged in survival.

My photos below. I'm having steam issues doing copy and paste of the URL so all it pastes is all published. I'm not fighting with it. First three photos are examples of foot paths and clearings made with cube and wall blocks. The second three are the Chasm and subsequent construction using the now defunct sandstone mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197993979635/screenshots/

I'll become more active in ME again after my sound is fixed and most if not all my mods go .7 ready.

Oh.....and the above 'rolling back' was intriguing but sadly .7 mods are defunct there now. So....6 of those/half dozen of the other when rolling back the beta.
    --- Automerge ---
    Addendum - I will also wait to get back deep into ME based as well on the new scrolling inventories. Just one hour of play with that system and I realize already that further down the road as tech is discovered that manufacture of construction material is going to be slowed to a crawl.

10. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@Lupinemaxx That looks like quite a big project! I like that canyon look, looks like a dig site for relics or some such. :) Night time gives it a very moody look. It's visually interesting. It intrigues me to know what's in there.

Yeah, it would be hard to give up and start over.

I have a solution about the sounds!

My sounds do the same thing. They screech through my headphones. But! In the first hotfix after .7, they added an option under Audio Options called "Enable Advanced Audio". It has a check mark to "on" by default, and that is just the advanced sound filters they added on almost every sound, which has the effect of making them not work at all for most people (including me). You want to uncheck that. After that, you should rarely hear any more of that high pitched crackling.

The crafting thing I have no answer for, lol.. That one is.. It's rough. What I do is have two crafting stations and then just click up queues on one, and then click more on the other, get back to the other and collect the stuff, then queue up some more. Rinse and repeat. That is not a fun process but, at least it goes by faster. The clicking isn't ideal but I think, turn out more processed resources at once and then forget about it. Kind of like a bandaid - the more time you take to rip it off, the more it's going to hurt. I have two crafting tables that I use to double my output. It's bearable. Not ideal by any means, but I am making progress on constructions that way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Tenzo - I do hope you got a peek at the clearings and footpaths as well. You can see why I like that as an effect of placing and removing block by the row or angles. The texture syncs right up when you connect your path to the existing roads without that tool crafted 'mud' appearance. It gives a high traffic area a 'worn' appearance. Many mods I use are now converted so, that'll be a big help. Just waiting on the grass seed and wine & beer mod ( I think that's it).

Please, go check that chasm in your game. It's huge. It's not marked as a wonder, so, none of the subsequent placement/removal lag I've discovered near wonders. I want the bridge all the way to the top but that was the limit for the foundation I created. I could have started over and used cubes and not walls for support but would the extra weight be a worse trade off? Damned skippy I'll try again! Be careful fast travelling there.....it's easy to die many times finding a good jump location and surviving it. And yeah......it does have an air of spooky at night. I was going for Elder Scrolls First Era Hammerfell 'lost city' kinda thing, so you were close on the relic thing too. Who knows - maybe the sandstone won't just disappear.....maybe I'll be lucky and it might just translate back to white stone - but it just won't look as imposing.

I'll get back into adapting to the inventory container scrolling thing I suppose. When my initial 'farm' is got a head of steam, I generally have three crafting tables in a row anyway. I just hope the higher end production like the grist and lumber mills aren't relegated to 'tedious' by the scrolling and new 'taking inventory' thing. The old way for mills was nice.....you could 'set and forget' for a while and multi-task. I hope that's not come to a screeching halt with the new system.

I'll try the 'sound' thing. What I get is not a 'screeching' but dropping the hammer actually makes a muffled bell ringing sound. Kinda like striking a bell covered with blankets. It's still less annoying than that sound shutters made in .5 - that.....crackling over-modulated ear splitting sound!

Keep in touch - I'd be glad to see your progress. Feel free to add a contact if you wish. It's not always a convenience crossing paths in game with different time zones and all....but who knows? My worlds are mostly nothing more than Elder Scroll inspired fantasy towns and I love role playing at just being the 'gentleman farmer' most of the time. Sometimes the wife jumps in the game as well.

Peace.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Yes, you're right. It does give the clearings an Elder type feel. The camps seem like towns you would find out in the open. I too dislike the mud texture for anything other than crops, so that feature is quite handy.

I don't think I can check it out in game, I think you have to upload your world to the workshop. I tried looking but I only found the screenshots. Do you mean maybe a server?

They just added some new things. As I'm typing this I can't contain myself to jump in and see how they work. Dddd..dd..dd.iagonal timbers in.. all sizes?! That is pretty major, lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

I didn't know that about diagonals. Good on them, that'll be handy at the most for cart building. That's a step in the right direction.

As far as the rest......I guess what I'm saying is I offer you an invite to any of my games. No obligation, it was just a suggestion. I'm not the kind who gets bent at a 'thanks, but no thanks' kinda thing. It's all good. All I say is that if you ever get bored and want another player around for PvE in friends only, My offer stands.

In the meantime.....I did just try and load my .6 game (without a beta rollback) after today's patch and it crashed. I'll just wait another week.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

@Lupinemaxx Ahh, I didn't mean to sound dismissive, I just didn't know what type of game you had going. I assume now it's a Steam friends only game? That's the problem for me, I don't use Steam as a profile platform. I just use it to store my games. I had a security issue a couple of years back and I felt so paranoid I ended up starting a new Steam account and rebought most of my titles (including ME) and now that's all I use. I wanna avoid all those unpleasant memories. I think we turned this thread into a soap opera box. :D

We could try to play on a public server, but with all your version rollbacks I think that won't work. Plus it's such a hassle to keep different versions of games without Steam deciding you should have something else. I know the pain of multiple version maintenance. I have about three separate "backups" of Medieval Engineers, including one of the game when we had the freeform compound system of building....somewhere. I haven't loaded that in ages because I know there is no going back, so trying to adjust to the new blocks even when they are not working... There is still a lot of that 'invalid placement' for things that should work normally, some bugs, etc, it irks me.

Like the left log wall slope not fitting with the tile roof...the large round floor not being able to be placed when you have large round battlements on top...it's definitely a work in progress until they iron out those bugs. I can't even imagine thinking about all the different versions.

Oh, and I also hate shovels.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lupinemaxx Trainee Engineer

Tenzo. No worries. I lean in favor of solitude just over 50% anyway but always like to cross paths with people on occasion. I also understand security issue - my PC is fairly secure now, Steam, Facebook, etc....but I do know the frustration. No harm done Tenzo.

I have given up on doing 'the rollback' since .7 ready mods won't work there. I'll just have to do what I did when the .5/.6 transition happened........time to start yet another world to do. Only a few mods to go to be .7 ready......and I can live without those for now. I spent an hour in game last night. OK, maybe the new inventory containers are 'alright' with some drawbacks. I don't see a way to smelt particular ingots. Example - holding copper and tin ingots I was unsure which would default to make metal parts. I almost always use tin only for metal parts. Since there is no 'container' on the crafting table for resources that come right out of player inventory, I had to make an extra step to store the copper ingots so not to expend them on metal parts. Another thing that seems counter-intuitive is.....i didn't understand why I have to 'take' items made in personal inventory? As immersion goes - that's like putting something in your pocket only to give it back to yourself? The scrolling is also something to get used to after training a physical memory with the .6 system. I kinda like the alphabetically organised list. We'll see how it goes. Well - back into the grind anyway, huh?

Peace.
    --- Automerge ---
    Oh yes......and shovels. Only good for leveling IMHO. Other than that, they are mess-makers of soil. Take a shovel to the ground and you've just ruined that spot...forever.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.