Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

KEEN SWH Foster Home for abandoned SE mods: Parenthood exchange

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cetric, Nov 10, 2017.

?

I came here for:

1. Giving away my mod into loving hands.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Offering a new home to any mod available. Ask me.

25.0%
  3. Providing a new home to a particular mod I want to see succeed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Negotiating a parenthood change for somebody.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Declaring a mod parenthood has changed from X to Y.

25.0%
  6. Inviting a reluctant ex-modder to either change his plan and continue, or give it free.

25.0%
  7. Something else. Explain yourself.

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cetric Junior Engineer

I'd like to ask KEEN to make this thread one of the accentuated leading posts in modding section.

Fine mods getting abandoned and their parts becoming obsolete is a big annoyance for every game and also for Space Engineers with its vast array of mods in use.
    So what we need is an exchange center where people can look for new modders willing to continue their work in case they gave it up, or for people offering their work for such purpose.
    --
    Contact people on Steam Workshop whose mod you notice is out of function and the author does not care, and point them to this place here. This should become the FOSTER HOME for abandoned mods waiting for adoption by a loving new father or mother. Let this be the place where defunct mods are getting handed over to new parents.
    --
    Question is, what if an author completely disappeared from the scene and does not respond to a request that his mod should be revived by someone with fresh energy? Then we should leave a note on his Steam Workshop comment thread and point him here, if after a given period we do not hear from him, the mod is to be considered as abandoned and someone may adopt it for further updating as the core game proceeds.
    --
    What if an author does not cooperate? He may get the message his mod is wanted but he refuses to let it go? Then, I am afraid, the mod has to stay dead. We can't overrule the opinion of the original creator. But why should someone not wish a better future for his baby? In any case, if the mod finds a new update, the first owner/parent should still be mentioned as the primary source and given respects to.
    --
    So please use this thread, modders, for your OFFERS, SEARCHES and announcements of changed parenthood!

PER ASPERA AD ASTRA!

2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

the only mods are this time I am able to easily create are sound block mods and LCD screen mods. [those are rather easy really once you have a template and understand how it works.]
    LCD's...are kinda obsolete since we can use that awesome converter then the custom font to make any image.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730877708&searchtext=
    audio mods....have yet to break.
    If i knew how I would very much like to restore this character skin mod.
    SnoBot Mk1
    but i haven't a clue. how to. animation is broken with a sound of very very rapid footsteps...might be a broken skeleton...
    makes breathless gasping sounds like when helmet is off in vacuum or out of oxygen...sometimes causes crashes when spawning.
    as for the author completely disappears question. i would say yes but leave a comment at the mod and a note in the description to say something like. if the author is reading this and doesn't want it leave me a message and i'll remove it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cetric Junior Engineer

This interesting piston pack has not been updated for three years. And it is still functioning! Trouble is the textures are lost and pistons appear purple. I ask the author to give it free for adoption if he does not care.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327627089
    --- Automerge ---
    dcMetallbau has a sortiment of great scaffold parts, the metal grid is in large use by me. Since two updates, it causes critical error during loading and all laid metal parts of this mod have disappeared. I asked the author if he likes to update or give his project free for adoption here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=733410371
    Requires also partner mod with own ore types.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327627089

4. Malware Master Engineer

I'm afraid you can't do that. Copyright laws. That would be illegal. If the author cannot be contacted, the mod is dead. Otherwise you're breaking the law.

The only way someone else can take over a mod is if the original modder approves.

Sorry to be a killjoy...

5. Arcturus Senior Engineer

6. Cetric Junior Engineer

Affirmative. Copyright has to be taken serious. We don't want to deprive someone of his rights. However, I doubt someone will investigate into 'creative recreation' of a mod code once he has played dead duck and not responded to attempts to contact him in this matter, thus showing no further interest in the game, including his mod to be still functioning. Also I see no economic disadvantages for him if his 'dead' mod is revived by someone more dedicated to our community than he apparently has to be considered. The previous modder has no loss he could claim.
    In films, there is the public domain status waiting for vintage movies whose legal copyprotection has run out. A fine thing for preserving culture and making them available to everyone. Is there something similar for program code? Less than 96 years to wait for?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain_film

7. Malware Master Engineer

No but anyone taking their mod could easily still get some nasty fines. I wouldn't say it's worth the risk. All you need is one badtempered modder coming back seeing their mod "stolen"... If they press charges, the laws are so clear that... well, the poor adopter don't have much of a chance.

Even if there is (and there probably is) it's not likely to be any use before SE is stale itself...

8. Cetric Junior Engineer

This one has been great. Live feed camera for your LCDs.

Went broken a year ago, I think in october 2016 that was. When that happened, the game would not start any more because of alien dll you had to place in your installment folder and a start argument connected.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=611332581

As the author 'tyrsis' wrote on steam workshop <<THIS MOD NO LONGER WORKS. TOO MANY INTERNAL CHANGES AND LACK OF TIME MAKES MAINTAINING IT IMPOSSIBLE. SORRY.>> I think he might agree to give it into loving hands. I gave him a request and pointed to this thread.

9. Sapioit Apprentice Engineer

I also hope the "Live Camera Feeds" mod (link in the previous comment) will be continued, or someone else would make another mod that works nowadays.

10. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

speaking of abandoned mods.
    I'm sure we're* all aware of the mass amount of pink planets.
    I'm wondering if it could be possible to say create a mod that enables the use of the old texture path as well as new.
    because it really is a shame at the quantity of wondrous planets that are pink due to the old texture path.
    and if it's possible to do it that way it would prevent the need to do each planet piece by piece. :(
    as far as texture paths go the only contact i've ever seen with that was things like fallout and elder scrolls games.
    you know like a shield has no texture or something...you look at its path and it was looking in the wrong area.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. rexxar SE Programmer Staff

As a modder, I hate this. I don't want anyone reuploading my stuff without explicit permission under any circumstances ever. Period. The end. Lots of people share this point of view.

As a developer, I am obligated to delete/report mods which violate IP or copyright. And Valve does not take this kind of thing lightly. Too many copyright strikes on your account and you're banned from the workshop.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Cetric Junior Engineer

That's why the authors of said mods are being asked to participate here. When they have lost interest in them, they should feel honored people care about their work and want to see them revived and continued. That's a kind of compliment.

13. Akimitsu18 Apprentice Engineer

As a gamer I think the way mods are becoming is not conducive to... well... playing. I look for modding ability as a primary component in whether or not I'm really going to enjoy a game past the first few hours. But modern games with constant mod-breaking updates seem to eventually drive modders to give up on specific mods or on the game entirely. This basically means players like me (I'm sure this is no small number) ultimately have a finite time limit on how long we can enjoy a game.

There are numerous mods that are fundamental to my desire to play SE, and have been pretty much from day one; mods like additional armor slopes, additional conveyor pieces, small ship windows, increased max speed, etc etc. If those mods were to disappear I would be required to abandon work on a project (potentially ending hundreds of hours of effort), search for a suitable replacement, and hope I can salvage a good portion of my previous work.

Obviously modders have the right to protect things that they've created, even once they've abandoned it, but I would like to know why. Having a right to something doesn't necessarily make it correct. Is there some importance or benefit to owning a small piece of a thing that they won't ever interact with again? If it's recognition, what is the purpose and why is it good, or how is it better to be recognized for a thing no one can use versus being recognized for a thing that someone can use?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. rexxar SE Programmer Staff

No, it really isn't. That's not how this works.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Akimitsu18 Apprentice Engineer

So how does it work? If a modder abandons a mod and another person asks their permission to continue it, where is the person wrong? If the modder gives said permission, where is the modder wrong?

16. Cetric Junior Engineer

Another argument for this exhange place for finding new caretakers for abandoned mods is, we can take a burden from KEEN SWH with an increasing number of successfully refurbished popular mods (if that ever happens). Why?
    Because people who met problems because of aged mods causing malfunctions will in the first place make KEEN responsible and start ranting here. WE HAVE SEEN IT ALL THE TIME, with every update someone is complaining this or that is not going right. Good part has to do with mods getting broken. Those still taken care of will match up with progress again, others will be left behind and still cause trouble, because they stay on Steam workshop and continue getting subscribed - thus continue making trouble.
    So, with finding new parents for mods, altogether the pressure on KEEN is relieved as more mods will be kept in working order than before. That's not proven yet, as we have no successfully negotiated transfer of parenthood so far (just set this up last week-end), but it is a logical expectation about the longtime effect of keeping mods which seem precious on the scene. I don't understand why this is not welcome to you as developer, Rexxar, when we have in each case an agreement with the original modder as precondition.

17. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I am surprised. I thought making mods functional again with permission would be a good thing.

18. Sapioit Apprentice Engineer

So long as you remake a mod without using the original code, copyright protects the new mod, which is coded differently from the previous one, but does the same thing.
    I mean, Chrome and Firefox are both used to browse the internet, yet neither one can entirely stop the other. Because they're coded differently. There are sues about features copied, and things like that, but they're not about the whole browser, just about a tiny part of it.

19. jb_aero Trainee Engineer

If it makes you feel any better, this one was updated to DX11 two years ago by SEModder.

20. Akimitsu18 Apprentice Engineer

I'd still like to know why something like this would be a bother to modders, I mean other than the fact that mod-makers have been told they have the right to behave in that manner. Unfortunately there's a veritable graveyard of dead mods on the workshop, and it's somewhat disheartening to see that someone made a mod that you've really been looking for, but it doesn't work.

If a game like Minecraft can have enough cooperation between players that some mods have been passed down from modder to modder in excess of 6 times, I don't think it's unreasonable to put effort into having the same thing here.

21. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

That mod has been revamped, with the original authors permission http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=566142426

just a friendly fyi. :)
    --- Automerge ---
    Sadly as of late, it seems Valve / Steam powers that be,do not respond to the re-uploads as they once did. Not saying your wrong, just something I have come to notice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

that sounds delightful, any idea which mods were like that? I do remember a modder named golden porkchop.
    i remember i think it was called thumbcraft....no it was called "thaumcraft" the most notable feature was a cauldron with the ability to break down almost every item thrown into it into a purple magic liquid which could be used to duplicate other items..
    another one was Tekkit classic was my baby i really enjoyed that one..
    --- Automerge ---
    that sounds delightful, any idea which mods were like that? I do remember a modder named golden porkchop.
    i remember i think it was called thumbcraft....no it was called "thaumcraft" the most notable feature was a cauldron with the ability to break down almost every item thrown into it into a purple magic liquid which could be used to duplicate other items..
    another one was Tekkit classic was my baby i really enjoyed that one..

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.