Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ladders! Bare with me on this.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by HCP2311, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. HCP2311 Trainee Engineer

We once had ladders, but we were only in space. Now we are on planets where it is almost impossible to ascend. Do we not, now, need ladders? Device's where one might use God given muscle strength to climb upwards in clear defiance of planetary gravity?

P.S Please hurry. Stuck at bottom of hole.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Leif_The_Head Apprentice Engineer

*throws down rotor rope* *rope explodes violently*
    Can't help you, sorry.

+99999

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. RoSothian Apprentice Engineer

I highly doubt any space station or ship in real life has stairs, WE NEED LADDERS! Even more importantly, handles that you can stick to to hang off the side of a ship. Maybe like a short leash range that you can't leave without "letting go" but can inch your way from handle to handle and into an airlock.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. waterlimon Senior Engineer

Also, if stairs are technically impossible, add ANY method of compact vertical transport.

Really, its ok if its just a black box you step inside and hold W/S to go up/down, unaffected by whatever happens in the environment (like you were in a cockpit). As long as something is added.

Of course, an ideal solution would be to allow us to parkour up any surface with ledges and grabbable handles, including ladders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vaskadar Apprentice Engineer

Ladders are completely necessary for this game now.

Can't go without them!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ironpaw Trainee Engineer

Fully agreed, in gravity with a very nearly useless jetpack ladders are badly needed. Sure you can use angle blocks but those are quite large and space intensive thus impractical for many tasks.

7. Harrekin Master Engineer

I'm not disagreeing with the fact we need ladders...but I will point out that they build large ships in space in sci-Fi for a reason ;)

8. waterlimon Senior Engineer

Because ladders are easier to climb in 0 g? :tu:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. EternityTide Senior Engineer

The one that always comes to mind for me is the "Hugo Gernsback" from ME2.

10. SenorZorros Master Engineer

wasn;t this discussed three days ago?

11. EternityTide Senior Engineer

probably

12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Don't think you'll find stairs or ladders on the ISS.

In a lot of anime ships have these handles in the wall you hold on to and they pull you along down the hall.

Then, there's this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=417028349&searchtext=grav. If you accept artificial gravity as a thing, then you should be happy with this. Personally, I close my eyes and pretend the motive force is electrostatic fields.

13. Hellothere! Apprentice Engineer

Those would be horrendously hard to introduce as a game mechanic. We have artificial grav and jetpacks for a reason. However we do need ladders for planets, both the static and the extending version. Take a look at KSP for this. They have pretty great ladder mechanics.

14. Bipin Trainee Engineer

Ladders most certainly are a no-brainer. We can't have stairs and jetpacks for everything... :p

15. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, ladders was a topic during the planet release livestream. Marek himself explained that there were issues with ladders that made them take them out. From what I gathered those issues had a lot to do with using ladders in zero gravity. He said revisiting ladders was not going to be a priority. I agree that we need ladders. I have the "bring back ladders!" mod. They make sense on planets.

Moving grab handles would indeed be hard to implement. So would stationary grab handles. There's no mechanic in the game for holding on to things. If there was we would be hearing less talk about grappling hooks. The Grav Tube mod seems to be the best solution right now. My capital ship is a bit over a kilometer long. I'm not walking (much less running) from one end to the other. Using jetpack means I have to steer. I'll probably have a maglev system as in Sea Quest.

16. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

100% agree. We need to try and make this desire seen. Drop some hints in youtube comments and such.

The only thing that actually didn't work on the old ladders, was that you couldn't climb off them backwards in the way that their model suggested was the intention. If you climbed out the top of them and moved forwards onto a new floor, they worked flawlessly 100% of the time. My old Architeuthis Assault Carrier that I built for the 1st community carrier competition used them extensively and with great practicality. They were removed just before the deadline when judging would begin, rendering much of my carrier an illogical maze with areas that couldn't be traversed properly. I was really gutted. '-'

17. Franblast Apprentice Engineer

18. igMac97 Trainee Engineer

yes please add ladders back. they werent so much buggy and they were so useful to get down ships and stations. simple block, many uses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tyrantissar Trainee Engineer

In real life, there is nothing but ladders on spaceships due to the fact that in real life we don't have artificial gravity. Even some films properly displayed this fact on the big screen and the famous moon lander itself has a ladder.

Now I know that it was removed due to some abstract in game reason that I know nothing about... however maybe its time to bring them back?

20. Croolis Var Trainee Engineer

It is. I'm very much enjoying planets and relishing the difficulties of mining and building on planets. I even enjoy thinking about the scaffold design I'll need to build my ships. It's actually pretty possible to build on planets making extensive use of the jetpack and hydrogen bottles, often negating the need for big scaffolds. Increasing the hydrogen capacity of bottles (I also don't know any way of seeing how much is left in the damn things) could be useful, even a small block hydrogen generator would be good. I don't want the jetpack buffed, I think it's fair the way it is, effectively big jumps.

But hell, if planet building is going to be about scaffs to some degree, a ladder needs to be a part of that, so I'd like to see them.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.