Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Larger than 120 km planets?

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Nov 19, 2019.

1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I would like to make some modded gas giant planets like Jupiter extra large. Is this possible somehow?

2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Planets larger than 120km are still possible. It requires basically installing an older version of the game. I believe you can use an older server build. You manually enter the size of the planet in the .sbc game files and have the old server software create the first instance of the game world. You can then load the gameworld into a current version of the game. I've not tried this with the latest version but there are some tutorials out there somewhere.

From years back, I still have a 3x Earthlike that still loads.

3. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Hmm... I might have to try this out. Cool scenery is really refreshing to have. Nothing more amazing than gas giants while flying by.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The biggest issue with oversized planets, from my own personal experience, is that you're stretching all of the mapping that covers resource distribution and height maps. So it is possible to have some extreme angles when those height maps are applied and scaled. This can lead to problems with characters and grids falling through the planet, especially in really rocky, mountain areas. For the most party everything is fine. But you might run into a couple issues clipping through voxels in the most extreme areas of height.

5. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I'm not looking for huge planets to land on. Just some gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn for scenery. Ideally make the gravitational forces so big you're unable to survive a landing anyway.

6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It would be cool if there were gas giants, and as you say, get too close and gravity pulls you in and crushes you and your creation, gravity much much stronger than that of earth like planet for example.

I would love for there to be ring planets, a gas giant would be a good contender for such a thing.

7. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Is there any way to import the larger planets into a current world? For example, make a large planet in old version > save > move the planet file from that save to another?

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There isn't a way currently. When you first initialize a world from a scenario (doesn't have to be set up as a "scenario" but that's how things are stored). The planet definition is referenced and then calculated during that first run. If the world already exists then you're S.O.O.L.

You would be better off adding the content from your existing world to the oversized one you just rendered. But now that SEToolbox is in the dustbin... good luck.

9. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Would it be possible to cut the oversize world in one game, load the other and paste it in?

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, a custom planet can't be just pasted in like a ship or grid. You'd have to move over every asset and line of code that is associated with the planet. I think it could be done. But you'd have to know exactly what you're looking for move ALL of it over... definitely not a cut 'n paster.

11. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Shame, I don't think the hassle is worth the hoff right now.