Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Lifts

Discussion in 'General' started by kdalts, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. kdalts Trainee Engineer

I've tried a number of ways to build a lift but just can't find a workable solution and I really dont thing stairs in a large space station are the answer.

Wheels/rota version
    I tried using wheels/rotors to roll up and down a column: wobbles too much and often the platfoms on each floor that the lift stops at are not flush (due to the rotor block I guess). Still, this was the best I could do

Landing gear versions
    Using landing gear as guides to prevent the lift from wobbling is ok but then how best to make the lift go up or down? I tried using gravity but the landing gear prevented the lift from moving. I added a gravity block to the lift and it crashed through the floor an floated off into deep space. Adding trusters works but its simply not realistic.

I even tried a hybrid of wheels and landing gear but it still wobbles. I checked youtube but couldn't find anthing workable

Does anyone have a model they can share please?

2. THE_VB Junior Engineer

lifts are available only on stations. try to make a lift on thrusters.

3. kdalts Trainee Engineer

You're not reading properly - that doesnt answer the question and you are incorrect - you can build a lift on a station and a large ship - you just need to be creative

4. glitchaj Trainee Engineer

On your wheeled version were the wheels on the lift or the station?

5. Vermillion Senior Engineer

During the testing phase of the mass blocks I made an awesome elevator using 2-4 mass blocks and 2 gravity generators. Unfortunately, I deleted the map.
    It had 2 Gravgens pulling at a different strength and ranges on mass blocks on the edge of the elevator inside a station shaft, with a door at the top and bottom for enabling/disabling the generators to control vertical movement. The player remained standing on the platform, regardless of which direction the pull was.
    It's a waste of time though. You can fly up and down faster.

6. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I'm actually am curious about this myself because I'm currently am building a AC. Sure, I could just have gaping holes on the side and call it good but I actually want to build a ship with lifts that take the small craft from the deck to the cat tubes. The design isn't for efficiency, it's because if it works right it will look awesome.

7. glitchaj Trainee Engineer

Here's something I made awhile back.
    The larger wheels are the ones that turn, the rest are just guides. The downside to this is that it takes up twice the space that it moves.
    [​IMG]

8. Knsgf Junior Engineer

And here is my design:
    [​IMG]
    For each floor there are 2 opposing gravity generators in the shaft and artificial mass block in the elevator itself. The car is operated by switching artificial masses on and off; thrusters are solely to keep the speed under control.

9. Polenicus Apprentice Engineer

So, is which floor you go to determined by the number of mass blocks you have activated? Or is operation more complex? Can you control it from within the elevator car?

10. DDP-158 Master Engineer

So if you want a elevator to go up or down do you just adjust the gravity of one of the gens? Or do you just turn one off?

11. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I was testing multiple lift techniques and made a few very interesting ones (and many not so interesting ones). Wish I had some shots to show you, but I was just tinkering and resetting constantly to try things out.

One of the versions I made that worked best was an incline lift. Basically a horizontal platform that ran up/down a 45 degree incline rail, using wheels and a single mass block. One set of wheels ran along the upper ledge of the incline, the other set of wheels ran along the underside, and were positioned to keep the platform level when a mass block in the center of the platform was active (basically all of the weight was held on that underside set of wheels). That was the only way I could get a wheeled version to have enough traction for consistent vertical movement - the wheels behave like metal on metal with constant slippage, not rubber with grip. Rough sketch of what I did below:

[​IMG]

12. kdalts Trainee Engineer

Great stuff guys.... thanks for the info.... going to try these out later. No thats what I call creative:)

13. maxxod Trainee Engineer

Vrmithrax. Do you mind if I use that elevator idea? Been trying to figure out how to make a diagonal lift for a while. That is a great idea.

14. Knsgf Junior Engineer

No, the GGs are always on and their fields are only 1 block wide so each pair of generators affects only 1 mass block.

For example, in the screenshot below the 2nd artificial mass is activated and the middle gravity generator will push the elevator down. When car reaches middle floor, the opposite generator will stop it:
    [​IMG]

Conversely, if the car is initially at the bottom floor, then the bottom generator will push it upwards until the top one stops it.

15. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Go for it! That's why I shared it... The whole thing worked pretty well, I think it could be better if wheels got a slightly better grip coefficient programmed into them... I will warn you up front, though - getting the spacing right and aligning the mechanisms together was a bit of a beast... heh

Be sure to show us how it all works out!

16. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I see, your lifts are controlled from the lift itself. Since I want it to be controlled from the deck, I'm wondering if I can turn off the lower gen to make the lift drop, then turn it back on to stabilize it once it hits the bottom.

Basically what I'm looking to do is have a fighter land on the platform and clamp down. An operator in the control tower will lower the elevator down to the launch tube. Once there the operator will clamp down the lift and turn off the gens leaving no gravity in the lift. This gives the pilot the green light to engage his mass blocks before he pushes into the launch tube which will take him from 1 G to 7 G's before exiting the craft. Once he's out the operator can reset the lift for the next bird.

The aircraft carrier has 2 of these tubes and with everything being grouped now I'm hoping it can be a pretty fluid operation to launch craft.

17. SciMan Trainee Engineer

I think you could control the lift from the ship easy enough, you would just need to keep all of the mass blocks on the lift powered, and turn on/off whichever pair of gravity generators would push it to where you want it to go. You could also put landing gear at each floor to hold the lift in place, instead of having the gear on the lift itself. You could also have a (Number of floors +1) pair of gravity generators that acts on all three of the mass blocks to send it to a stowed location that would have extra landing gear to hold the lift secure while moving. That same stowing position would probably also be a good place to add a conveyor connected to the rest of the ship so you can refuel the reactor on the lift that's powering those mass blocks, as well as access supplies you might need to repair damage from collisions and thrusters.

18. kdalts Trainee Engineer

@ Knsgf

I so nearly got this but still struggling with a couple of things - was wondering if you could workshop your lift so I can play with it please?

Can I just check -
    • The actual lift is a seperate 'large ship' right? Seperate from the main structure?
    • The lift frame is part of the station or main large ship?
    Everytime I try it I end up with the controls on the station or main large ship instead of the lift - obviously because it is a ship in its own right and not connected the the main structure. Also, I end up with gaps between the lift and the floors - not big enough to fall through but looks rubbish.

Another problem is that I cant turn off my jet pack when in the lift as it rises because the gratity pull is above me (thats what is pulling the lift) so I end up spinning upside down and shooting out into the abyss.

Maybe too tired to think anymore - lol

19. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I did that to a friend about 2 weeks ago when I was trying out a mass drive. I had the gens on but the mass blocks off and he came aboard to grab some metal. Ended up with a blood smear in the bow of my ship after he did a 5G dive into it.

20. glitchaj Trainee Engineer

I believe the grav-gens each only have enough range to effect one of the mass blocks, so you can control it by turning on and off the mass blocks from the lift.

21. DDP-158 Master Engineer

So got a bit of R&D done and I've got a ok lift going so far. Tend to be a bit erratic at times. I originally started with just 4 wheels on each side for 2 pylons, front and back, thinking that would be enough but I couldn't get them to level out. I added 2 more wheels that would be on the inside of the rail but even those wouldn't level the lift so I added 2 more on the bottom where it seems to be doing ok now.
    Now originally I put the mass block right directly under the lift. This was a mistake because it wanted to pull the lift down which in turn offset the wheels on the track. So I relocated the mass block so that it's parallel with the wheels and it's running a whole lot smoother now. After several more up n downs and moving things here and there I think I have a semi decently working model. So tomorrow I need to cut 5 blocks from the rails so that the lift will end up equal to the launch tube. I also need to copy and past the unit and try to get it on 2 more rails (the second tube and the rear return lift).
    My only downside to it though is that as with anything involving motors, I'm left with a gap between floor and lift. Such is life though, I can live with it.

[​IMG]

22. Knsgf Junior Engineer

Here you go: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=248298522

Yes and yes.

Put the gravity generator on the lift itself and adjust its field so it won't touch any mass blocks.

Use barriers or catwalk "lips" to minimize the gap.

23. Marneus Apprentice Engineer

That's why we need rails, among other hundred things.

24. kdalts Trainee Engineer

@ Knsgf

Thank you - you are a star:) Works a treat... exactly what I was trying to do... now to figure out how it works:)

25. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

Just waitfor rails and lifts will be super easy to build :)

26. Knsgf Junior Engineer

Press Alt+Shift+F12 to see gravity generator field coverage.

27. StellaVagus Apprentice Engineer

Pistons anyone?

28. kdalts Trainee Engineer

Sadly I manged to break it and I cant figure out how..... added multi-exits and all was good untill I tested 'call lift' this now no longer works... Jezz... save-as would be useful. Is there any way to colour the grav radiusus's (is that even a word?) as it is hard to figure out which grav is pulling and pushing

29. Capsuna Apprentice Engineer

I made an elevator that works pretty well.. its kind of big and goes slow but it works and no wobbling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX1NGN5wxiM

30. cherv-saper Apprentice Engineer

Hmm... I've tried to push free armor blocks in 1-block gap between two smallest wheels (on rotors), but broke blocks on which rotors was based... (May be reason was that my base blocks was unwelded...)
    How did you such thing - i mean guides?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.