Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Linux Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Quazil, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Quazil Trainee Engineer

I know this will be a PITA for the devs but this is a critical step towards stable servers for the game.

Steam is available on Linux so I think that means the path for integration is there for the mod workshop stuff.

Renting a Windows Server is $100+/mn because you can't rent Windows 7 you have to rent 2008 R2 et. al.

Renting a Linux server is $20~$30/mn for a beast.

This then opens up the possibility of a multi-core enabled server and no more jitter from the crappy performance of self-hosting and running a client on the same computer etc...

The 100 m/s speed limit is problematic with the new larger, more spread-out asteroid fields.

The performances continues to be so poor it's difficult to enjoy the game in a multiplayer setting.

À mon avis, there is no point in implementing any new features while the core infrastructure of the game remains sub-standard. (It still doesn't even save your server settings correctly ...)

2. Striped_Monkey Junior Engineer

I agree with you that they should port it to Linux. I have high hopes that they will do this but until they release the game officially I don't think that they will do it.

Yes No polls are not allowed please read the rules.

3. Wombats Junior Engineer

+1 Everybody likes more stable servers

4. Darkix Trainee Engineer

Use Wine to run dedicated server on anything other than windows: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/tutorial-dedicated-server-on-ubuntu-13-10-using-wine-6922069

Porting it to Mono won't make it any more stable or less resource hungry, just a wasted effort at this point of development.

5. Quazil Trainee Engineer

I tried running with wine and even once you get it running it's not stable.

6. bladedpenguin Apprentice Engineer

Wine does not lend itself to stability. I've yet to have a solid experience with it. There's a reason so many people dual boot.

I absolutely concur. A Linux server is a must.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.