Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Maglev on planets. repulsors

Discussion in 'General' started by Mollymawk, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

with connectors you can adjust the force of attraction - i was just wondering, are there any mods that give a repulse force?

it would help with clean undocking too.

2. Echillion Senior Engineer

Hover engines have height above ground adjustment

3. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Hmm... Makes me wonder if you could have a suspended monorail on a bunch of connectors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sich Trainee Engineer

Can the connector stay on "repulsive mode" ?

5. odizzido Junior Engineer

a monorail made of connectors would be so expensive.

To make vehicle connections that require a track really worth something we would need it to be reliable....like really reliable....and significantly cheaper than a long conveyor tube. It would probably need to be close to 10 steel plates per large block.

Of course I am talking about survival.

edit------------

I want to mention that ore patches on planets can be pretty close together so building a dedicated mining rig connected by rail could potentially be useful. Especially if it's easy to automate the train to deliver ore....as in no scripting required. It's disabled a lot in multiplayer anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sich Trainee Engineer

Yes we need a cheap way to build rail.... Because If we want to build a train to get back ore from the mine at 10km this need to be doable without costing more ressources that we can get in the mine....

At least we should be able to build road with voxel block to use wheel.
    And auto pilot should work with wheel ! This to use less energy... Flying around cost a lot of energy... Not the best thing to carry a lot of ores....

Slow ground drone are fine to carry lot of ores.

7. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

If "survival" was about survival then yes its a daft idea and a waste or resource...

Material cost doesn't matter much really, you just build bots to get as much as you need and I would use a blueprint projector to create track sections.
    And build time isn't an issue as i intent to automate it a little like a wheel version mono rail idea i had.

I've done wheel based rails several times. I just want a magnetic version.

8. odizzido Junior Engineer

does that work well now Mollymawk?

I tried building something similar many months ago. I gave up because my car would always fall through the rail if I recall correctly.

9. Sich Trainee Engineer

Hum yes, interesting.
    I have tons of iron even in survival, but yeah, this will be done for fun, as I actually have drone carrying ore from mine to my base.

But yep, I should try someting with bots, at least this will give me something to do :)

I have never try to build some train.

10. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

It seems to work fine. I used to have great trouble with explosions when i tried it several months ago.
    2 tips: 1 the wheels run on bevelled edge blocks rather than square edges as it aids in self alignment. and 2 i now use a gravity aligner script that seems to damp oscilations that used to climax with explosions.

11. shimonu Apprentice Engineer

Not sure how it work now (didn't use it in ages) -> link

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I put in a suggestion years ago to provide an extra mode on the landing gear, so you'd get an unpowered mode, an attract mode (locked down) and a repel mode that would push against metal. It was initially intended to be a fix to help undock complex systems when we didn't have much option for it back then, but it definitely would be something you could apply here. A few landing gear pads in repel mode spaced to run along a metal rail, and you've got basic maglev support.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

perfect I'll give it a go.. I've got a version made that uses Hover Engine http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1225107070

but hover engine is not perfect as the track is contrived and not needed for the vehicles to function. I am however loving the hover engines on an orbital sky lift, though my tower can't quite get high enough without killing my game, it runs out of memory.
    I'v also found I can use the hover engines as buffers on mining/tunnelling craft to save from friction damage.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.