1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

"Main" Server?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Commissarius, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Commissarius

Commissarius Trainee Engineer

I don't know much about servers, so my apologies if this seems a foolish question.

The multiplayer game for Space Engineers is currently a bit disappointing in my opinion, simply because it exists in the form of hundreds of relatively small servers with only a few players each. Many of them are troubled by lag and all the servers I've played on to date have been shut down after no more than a few months.

Given the idea of factions, the vast sizes and distances involved, and the scale of newer additions like planets, I think the multiplayer for Space Engineers would be worlds better if there were a much larger, "central" server hosted by the developers (or something like that), capable of supporting more data and more players - as in hundreds or more, if that's actually possible without devastating lag. I'm thinking more along the lines of mass-multiplayer games.

Again, I don't know much about servers and how they work, so it wouldn't surprise me if this would simply require too much in the way of resources or if Space Engineers is too detailed a game to make that possible. However, if that isn't the case, is there any such server planned for the future, by Keen or an affiliate? Space Engineers is terrific as it is, but roaming around alone gets old eventually - a more expansive dimension of multiplayer competition, factions, et cetera would add so much to the game.

2. Samulus

Samulus Trainee Engineer

There are games out there that split a game world into pieces/sectors that are managed by a list of different servers, Eve Online as an example (and up and coming MMO Life is Feudal is planning to do so as well), but thus far SE doesn't have anything like that. This is mostly because Keen is still in early development and haven't hosted any official servers so far, but Marek did mention doing this in the nearish future (it may be as far out as when the game moves to beta, I don't precisely remember).

Now my opinion is that Keen will most likely never do things that way, but I don't know much about servers either. You, me, and 75% the people to have ever browsed these forums are seriously chomping at the bit for a real multiplayer experience in this game, so your wants/needs in purest form have been voiced many times. So you don't have to worry about them NOT doing something to improve it. Like you, I seriously hope the game can one day support 100 simultaneously connected players blowing things up without lag.

3. wallofchaos

wallofchaos Trainee Engineer

There is a 100 man server here on the forums. I however refuse to even bother. The reason you see such low numbers is because keens server software and their game in general crashes non stop. No one wants to pay for a server that they have to babysit 24/7 for crashes so they can reboot it when it does. That is one of the SMALL issues with multiplayer.

The biggest problem
    Add more than 5 to 8 people on a server and the simulation speed of the server takes a dive and next thing you know you cant move or do anything very well. Its like playing in slow motion.

I could go on but I wont bother. Im sorry your not enjoying the game. MAYBE someday. but not anytime soon.

4. Nark0t1k

Nark0t1k Trainee Engineer

All server will crash with 40 player ... than hoster doesn't up more slot :/

All server need a manual cleaning system (More player more clean need) take time, not really fun for hoster

All server lag as hell if player turn on more than 30 drills

Than most of player stop play because bug make them fool and they are bored to lose their ship because server shutdown because try to access to a bad memory adress ...

5. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I believe Tyrsis was working on an adaptation that would allow players to jump from one server to another using a stargate system. Your ship gets deleted from one server and then added to another.

The main draw back is if each server is owned and admin'ed by an individual than you can end up with someone gifting themselves ships and items on their own server, then jumping to yours and making a mess of everything and everyone.

A multi-server system would have to be owned by one person, one entity that could be trusted to ensure fair gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.