Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Maintain course

Discussion in 'General' started by Mike55520, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

I love having inertial dampeners but i think we need some form of sticky throttle or something. Id love to be able to set my ship at a certain cruising speed and have the ship auto maintain altitude and speed. Currently the only way to do that is to literally shut off the thrusters on certain axis' and activate Dampeners, i also wish for the ability to have the ship maintain ots forward momentum through direction changes without manually accelerating

• Like Like x 2
  2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

yes...this.

would be great for atmospheric ships travelling a fair distance.
    true....thruster override would work.. but having a button to push versus having to access menus and make adjustments.
    ....suppose the same can be achieved with a setup of timers.

I'd also like if cruise control was a thing for wheeled ships.
    enable it and the rover will lose no speed unless of course it gets airborne from a bump or rough/steep terrain.
    but for the most part you won't lose speed due to not holding on W all the time.

3. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

I always secretly wished for the forward/reverse thrust keys to be selectable as binaries (like they are now, either 100% on or off), or as steps. Like, each time you tap W it increases your forward thrust 5%, hold to rapidly ramp to 100%, tap S to back off in 5% decrements, etc. It's almost a pseudo-analog throttle solution, and would allow things like cruise control for forward & reverse at least. An "all stop" button would kick throttle back to zero, so you don't have to fumble through tapping to get back to null throttle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HurrayItsRaining Trainee Engineer

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying and it's been awhile since I've played but couldn't you add all your forward and reverse thrusters into separate groups and create a thruster override incrs/decrs buttons into your toolbar to accomplish this? For the all stop you could put all thrusters into a group together and add a disable thruster override button..if your dampeners are on the ship will stop.

5. mdram Apprentice Engineer

ummm this may be a game, but lets not violate the laws of physics that much

6. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Its something airplanes and helicopters do every day there broheem, idk what you are envisioning but nothing i suggested goes against any law of physics.

7. mdram Apprentice Engineer

ACTUALLY, they do accelerate through the turns in order to maintain speed.
    there is no conservation of momentum by changing direction without an application of force required.

you actually accomplish this in came now my keeping your thrusters on while turning

8. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Most turns in a plane require no throttle adjustments unless its a real tight turn. They bank and add some rudder and aerodynamics does the rest

9. mdram Apprentice Engineer

planes also have air resistance, lift, and an engine that is running.
    its called angular acceleration.

10. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

So should SE ships unless they defy the laws of physics

11. mdram Apprentice Engineer

they currently do
    in order to turn you add thrust
    for lift you use downward engines

turning without any external force violates physics

as its currently done its a simplification

12. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Ok now i KNOW were not on the same page. I never suggested anything happen without any external force. I suggested a) a way to maintain a set speed without having to shut.off thrusters or having the ship attempt to stop itsself or max out my acceleration the whole time i wish to move and
    B) that it prioritizes forward movement as the main direction, and does its best to keep momentum going that way, instead of stopping as IDs currently do, ie to maintain x speed during a turn increase forward thrust to compensate fpr loss AS the side and bottom thrusters eat away at it

13. mdram Apprentice Engineer

you want a throttle lock or cruise control
    i think there are scripts that do that from my searching

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.