1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Manual Construction Mode in ME

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash87, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ash87

Ash87 Senior Engineer

I'm going to get on this one first. First Suggestion for Medieval Engineers:

Manual Construction mode: Speed of Construction: Dependant on NPC/PC helpers

SE Is a whole different kettle of chimps to ME. 2 guys in SE Welding up a ship... it removes you Somewhat from the experience, but not enough that it drives you off. Now, building a castle is something else entirely. Single stones for a castle wall can be bloody Huge, and 1 guy carrying a 200 lb stone, of which you need a few Thousand, if not a few Million, to build a small fort... That wont work.

This game, more than SE Ever did, should contain something about the need for help to build what you want.

So, if you are building a wall, lets have it so that you need runners to carry stone to and from the storehouse to the wall. Bigger stones, maybe even get some kind of sled going?

Now this can, and probably should be handled mostly by NPCs. Not going to say you should get 40 friends to log onto ME just to help you build a guard house. But, NPCs should be a factor in the building speed, just from a material transportation angle.

2. waterlimon

waterlimon Senior Engineer

I agree.

The game involves:
    -Big defences
    -Castles with lots of space
    -Lots of resources that need gathering, processing, storing

That just makes no sense for a single player (You would end up with everyone building 5x5m underground bunkers).

Remember another fact: In dedicated servers, the single player will be OFFLINE! In SE we have automated defence, in ME we need something similar to fulfill that role.

Considering these considerable considerations, ME will need NPCs to work. Not many. Maybe less than 10 per player on average.

Of course ideal would be factions owning castles in dedicated servers and single players just living there or having their own smaller buildings outside the castle or in the forest, with many real online players running it all. But that would require massive keen-maintained servers to work well (And that wont work because someone will build a trademarked logo and keen will get sued which AFAIK is one of the reasons why hosting is delegated to players)

3. Ash87

Ash87 Senior Engineer

Yeah, even 10 NPCs would be fine by me. I don't expect 100 person crews to build a single tower, at the end of the day, it's still a game. Even 10 people though, that you click to direct to do certain stuff would make one's life 100 times easier.

I mean the bricks you need to build a decent wall... each one would be about the same as a single radio component from SE... but you'd need them with the same frequency that you need steel plates in SE.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.