Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Marek streams suggestion

Discussion in 'General' started by Light_gemini, Jan 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

My personal suggestion?

Have Marek disassemble a ship designed by someone else. Watch his reaction when he breaks a gyro free, then see how many weeks it takes for gyros to attach on all sides.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Aracus Senior Engineer

I'm more than a little amused to see that disagree tag on Dwarf-Lord Pangolins post, why? pointing out bad things in a very obvious way so as to get fixes on weak design points? is that a BAD thing? :eek:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I disagree that gyros need a change. The fact that they're anchored on only one side introduces design considerations.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Aracus Senior Engineer

But it still makes no sense to have such a vital component be designed in such a risky way. You would want to anchor your gyro properly lest it shake itself loose.

Besides, it needs to both be remodeled to lower the poly/tri-count and either have its max power increased and let the slider do more work, or have more powerful versions added. So yeah, lots of change needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

I agree with the single anchor being about design considerations, but
    it feels somewhat implausible. Kinda weird to mount so much (probably spinning)mass from one side only. It would tear itself loose in a sharp enough turn (sounds cool, actually)! I tend to build my craft in a way the gyros would be mounted from at least three sides. No actual effect ingame, but it feels right. Just like symmetrical thruster placement, or braking without dampeners when we still had the crazy 10X multiplier. Wonder if structural integrity got into SE, would it change gyros' mount points?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Malware Master Engineer

Interesting idea, could perhaps be considered as an alternative to the structural integrity... considering Marek mentioned SI for SE (... ehm... sorry...) would possibly be too performance intensive (at least as implemented in ME), perhaps this could be used instead to force the larger ships to move more realistically? Since as it is now, even the hugest ships can turn way, way faster than they should be able to.

7. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

This is needed so much, large ships being laggy and having cluttered menu screens due to many gyros would cease to be as much of a problem if we had one big one.

It would also be hilarios to watch somebody spin thier capital ship around and have it fly to bits with the acceration. And to think people complained about landing gears breaking in this situation, there were even some bug reports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

It sounds hilarious exactly as long as it hasn't happened to YOUR capital ship yet...

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Malware Master Engineer

Another alternative which would be way more interesting in my opinion, would be to do away with the gyro as a spin invoker in the first place (for the larger ships), and use proper, thruster based rotation. Imagine needing only a single gyro for measurements, and only need strategically placed thrusters in their place - thrusters you're very likely to need anyway.

Gyros as spin invokers for smaller ships is still way too useful to just do away with, and is not unrealistic anyway. But perhaps this second thruster based solution would be available as a choice for low mass ships, and a requirement for high mass ships...?

Yeah. I'm dreaming, I know. But last I checked, there was no law against that ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Spets Master Engineer

I'm late here, there was a streaming today and I missed it?

11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Streaming's tomorrow. I was wondering myself.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Spets Master Engineer

I missed it anyways... :((

edit: watching the replay now

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  13. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I saw it.. without sound. Heck of a day not to bring headphones to work. From visual observation:

-Marek spoke about glass for a while and kept gesturing towards it. I assume its still too clear/hard to tell its there. Maybe they'll add reflections?
    -Marek Set up a spotlight on the ground and was pointing out odd illumination. He also made it blink in interval and was speaking about it. No clue what was said.
    -Marek got stuck several times in the mangled metal from a crashed ship, even when it looked like he shouldnt have. He spoke about this.
    -Marek kept looking down at the grass. Not sure why :(

14. pathogen69 Trainee Engineer

Yeah, he's still not happy about the glass being so clear. And he talked more about particle effects. Seems he really only cares about how the game looks, which was why he was looking at the grass.
    The spotlight thing was after viewers noted that the suit light is brighter/lights up more area than the giant spotlight. It was frustrating watching him just try to build the spotlight. He doesn't seem to know how to play the game very well. And then he points it right at the hill side. Didn't really prove much. Sounded like they will also be moving the suit lights to shoulder mounted lights to remove the whole weird thing about how they still work with the helmet off... Because that's what really matters.

Also, all that was in the dev build of 1.120. He only spent about 5 minutes in 1.119 and didn't really do anything but complain about the custom world options. Though there does still appear to be problems with ship hovering. I noticed they kept gradually gaining altitude. There was also a bug (I think in 1.120) while he was grinding a destroyed drone. The parts would float like it was 0G for a second until the game realized that there actually was gravity. More fantastic programming.

Then, people kept requesting he play on a DS, instead they switched to a completely different game, a game they don't even make, 7 Days to Die. I closed the stream at that point. So yeah, the SE segment was pointless. He barely did anything in the game and thus didn't experience really any of the main bugs that continue to plague the game. Though he did experience a game crash bug in the 1.120 build while grinding. Anyone want to take bets on if that gets fixed before it's release on Thursday?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I didn't catch the glas-part, truth be told half the time his voice was too low and the game too loud, but... It's glas. It's fucking glas. Windows are fucking seethrough unless they're not, in which case they're not windows but fucking walls. Can we fix ship acceleration now so that my perfectly-thrustered-last-month ship doesn't need the same time as his entire stream just to reach 70 meters per second this week? You know, real problems?

I had a moment. I apologize.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. chrisb Senior Engineer

I didn't watch the last one, only the first and that was bad enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Spets Master Engineer

wait, only 5 minutes of SE?
    im watching the replay now, and he is playing ME

18. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Well over 5 minutes. But not as much as people would like. This includes me but it doesn't bother me that much. ME needs a crapton of attention too and it won't get any from me. I'm busy building ships.

19. pathogen69 Trainee Engineer

Only a few minutes actually playing 1.119. He spent more time in the dev build of 1.120 but still didn't do jack shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Spets Master Engineer

he is talking about the starting game interface. What about saved presets, with all the settings and mods you want. So, if you need to create another world with similar settings it will be just a one click. This was suggested so many times already

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Samulus Trainee Engineer

This pains me. I dunno about everyone else, but I don't spend a lot of time playing SE in different maps. I tend to start one on specific settings and dump 10 hours minimum before moving on and creating another. Unless it's creative, but then I'm only getting in to design a blueprint and will be back to the main save file soon-ish. My blueprint building save may be the oldest of them all, though.

EDIT: I rambled, I meant to say that quick-click "game presets" seem like a QOL addition prioritized to WAAAAYYY later. Anyone actually playing and creating games as often as Marek has in the two times he's streamed is probably playing things wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Krougal Senior Engineer

I can't be bothered to watch videos, but listening to everyone's comments it's embarassing.
    I've got a suggestion, he should not play SE anymore, just pretend it doesn't exist, and go on to his next project.
    It is becoming painfully obvious that he isn't going to improve anything, just the opposite since now they are falling all over themselves to implement whatever idiotic suggestions he comes up with because he is the boss.
    Pointy-haired boss from Dilbert comes to mind.

The windows again FFS! We were happy with them. Then we got shitty ones. Then we got better ones. Then they broke them. Then they fixed them. Leave the fucking windows alone already!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. Spets Master Engineer

I see that he is focusing more in the visual aspects of the game, and the point of view of new players, to make them easy to understand the game mechanics, like new tutorials or real time hints on screen. Im not complaining tho
    you can see that they added that highlight lines thing around the items on the floor when you look at them in the 1.120 already. I wish they turn off that annoying yellow box when you look at a monitor, cockpit,... maybe a transparent selection frame would be better

• Like Like x 1
  24. Lord Wraith Apprentice Engineer

Ok guys, I have to admit, i had a chance to go and watch Marek playing SE on Youtube, and to say i'm disappointed is putting it mildly, from what i saw it took him sometime to decide which way to play SE, then he set the asteroids to the highest level, meaning they came straight at his ship, (which somehow he managed to crash :{ how i will never know because he was on the bloody ground for god sake.....
    Ok next he runs around shoot the dogs, talk about doing it hard core.. when he's out of ammo and others are landing their ships next to him, all he seem concerned with was windows, (are the clear or not) lights, (shining on ground) and finally particules and how they don't look right when the asteroids come slamming down to the ground(?). so all this was done in survival, no building, no mining, no welding, no nothing, have to ask why did he bother, what was he doing? and who did he ask about problems from the gamers side of things (sorry sage, aron, scot, w4sted and mike) what a wasted chance to talk with the other members of the community about the problems that they are finding in the game, we are not all master YouTubers, with channels that have lots of viewers, some of us just play the game (3055 hours to date and counting) what about us, what about our views, and the things we want to see fixed, do i want a single or double click ability when i choose which world or mod or section i want to load, not really, what i want is a game that has less bugs in it, something that i can work with, not put up with, I WANT MY VOICE HEARD BY YOU MAREK hear what i and others are saying listern to us instead of those that talk about frames per second or dpi or any number of things that have nothing to do with the problems the community is facing right now with the game...hear us please

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. pathogen69 Trainee Engineer

That wasn't even today's. He didn't even do any multiplayer today. Today's was a complete waste of time. It took him like 15 minutes to build a spotlight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Echillion Senior Engineer

And even cheating with spacemaster he still couldn't do it! this was yet another car crash waiting to happen they actually need to get someone from the CTG who can and does play SE in single/creative and multiplayer to go on one of their streams and actually show them how to play and why things the devs have done has peed us off!. I'm just waiting for W4sted's interview with Tomas to be broadcast?

• Like Like x 1
  27. Krougal Senior Engineer

So what I want to know is why has not 1 of the multitude of "white-knights" who like to point out to the rest of us when we bitch about something that 1. This is EA 2. This is alpha,
    and then go on to explain what to expect and not what to expect haven't stepped up and explained this to Marek? Cause he doesn't seem to have a clue.

That and someone needs to make him go through ALL the tutorials so he can learn how to play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. Nesterus Trainee Engineer

The worst thing a company can do is actually showcase their CEO in scenarios where he can be considered inept or incompetent whatever the case may be.

29. Echillion Senior Engineer

Thing is he didn't have a clue how to play 7 Days either and after watching him butcher SE I didn't want another game I play receiving the same treatment so came off the stream.

30. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Because he doesnt read the Twitch Chat and having Xocliw relaying chat questions directly to the ceo is too precious am oppprtunitÿ to misuse for snark.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.