Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Mars Monolith, Unrealism, and the promises of the Steam store page.

Discussion in 'General' started by Rebellionmarch, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. grant.ivy Apprentice Engineer

I understand both sides, but when you buy into early access and you count on something, it can still change :(. I Am happy with the change but I understand many not being ok with it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

On a certain level, you are right. Keen has added a few things that might not be considered realistic. But I'm pretty sure most of the changes Keen has made has been due to comments from the users. Planets came from user requests and that tells me Keen is listening.

Keen had a vision on how this game was going to be two years ago. I'm sure they will be the first to admit it's changed a lot since that time. Personally, I'm glad they did. The gameplay evolved based on what they could do and what users requested. You may not know this, but your big AAA games also go through the same process of change from inception to completion. We just never see the process.

If this game is no longer what you want to play, then don't play it. I'm sure there are a few other games that will satisfy your need for realism. But adding a post like this to the forums is insulting to Keen and will not make you any friends.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. grant.ivy Apprentice Engineer

So Keen isn't obligated to give a refund, since they said things are still subject to change. :(

4. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

I thought they were working on the EM "impulse" drive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grant.ivy Apprentice Engineer

Not sure about that one, but I heard about them working on Warp/speed of light travel

6. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

And then, neither NASA, you, nor myself have found anything that would make the introduction of complex alien life in the next 60 years NOT feasible... so whats the point?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I think the best thing you could do @Rebellionmarch is to request a refund from Steam. I've no idea if that will work however.

Whilst I believe the unrealistic stuff you mentioned actually benefits the game, you are quite correct in saying that Space Engineers is not the "realistic" space building sandbox based on NASA tech from 60 years in the future it was originally stated to be. Personally, I believe Keen should remove that paragraph now. Obviously this raises questions with Early Access in general, as games regularly change during production. When does a game cease to be what it was originally described to be?

You are not alone in hating the unrealistic things added. You are however part of a minority of players and it is extremely unlikely that SE will change direction to return to realism now. Perhaps you would enjoy Kerbal Space Program?

It could be worse though, at least we don't have bubble shields and Laser Cannons... :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GeekWere Trainee Engineer

I think the thing to keep in mind is it's a game, it's not surprising it's going to be inspired by sci-fi. These things can be nods to culture. The point is to enjoy yourself.

• Like Like x 2
  9. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

Soooooo....No one has found alien life, therefore alien life does not exist?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Well, you have a whopping 2 of 2000 signatures, mine won't be one of them, good luck though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ojurb Trainee Engineer

Yet...:carlton:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Rebellionmarch Trainee Engineer

The point being this is not about potential possibility, it is about grounding in present reality, by your argument it is possible that we encounter space ponies with rockets up there butts, it is possible we find jesus moonwalking on saturns core, it is possible we find a planet composed of bubblegum, and therefore, we should add such things to the game, as you can see, such a line of thought would lead to an insurmountable quantity of sheer ridiculousness, therefore we require proof OF something not proof AGAINST it.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  13. Lrj52 Apprentice Engineer

Not sure if someone has posted this here, and I really don't want to wade through the entire thread to find it, but...[​IMG]
    Good luck with your petition, but considering its existence is down to one guy bitching about a design change in an early access game, it probably won't work. The game you bought 2 years ago stated that everything could change and they have the right to change everything, so you complain about an easter egg and a required game mechanic.

Well done.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

our universe is billions of years old, our galaxy has 400 billion + stars, most stars have multiple planets.

The idea that we are alone in the universe or the most advanced is at this point naive

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Rebellionmarch Trainee Engineer

If you can manage to pay attention and wrap your head around the compexity, you will herein discover a sound argument that me may, possibly, indeed be some of the first.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  16. ChoMar Trainee Engineer

Whats this about? The Monolith? The Alienplanet? Who says an Alienplant is not realistic? Have your even seen one? Well, of course, there probably is none in our solar system, but whelp, seriously, who cars, you CAN build your own starsystem if youre not happy with this one.
    But, mor important, who cares? The existence of the Monolith is not affecting gameplay. The Jumpdrive is unrealistic and is affecting gameplay. But thats a GOOD thing. Because i would rather not take a few month to reach mars. That would kinda make the game, well, I dont know, BORING.

Too much realism in a Spacegame kinda makes the targed audience very small. Basically would limit them to the few people that can actually do all the math, physics and stuff NASA uses whole TEAMS for. I dont know if it is possible for one man to design a working spacecraft, but I think given the materials I believe there might be a few people that CAN actually do it. Maybe that could be a question for XKCDs "what if" or the blog? Anyway, developing a "realistic" space game seems like a stupid idea. Because, thats not a Game anymore. You draw the line at a Monolith? Interresting choice, but thats up to you. Demanding a refund because of it? Utterly nonsense. Demand a refund because Planets but the game back into early alpha if you must, or simply stop playing it...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

and even if KSH decides to add jesus riding rocket-driven space ponies on a bubblegum-planet, because... well, cant imagine a reason... still this wont run against any statement they made, since no promises were given...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rebellionmarch Trainee Engineer

These repetitive replies are getting repetitive, so I will be brief, I drew the line months ago with the joke of the spaceball, and as to the rest, these things could have been released as Keen Official MODS through Tomas, as other questionably relative content has been in the past, and as for realism being boring? EVERY other space game fills this role, Space Engineers was supposed to be the EXCEPTION and THAT is the idea I invested in.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  19. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Oh you know what, do please shut up and leave. Can we get some moderation on these sorts of threads. If you're so angry or disappointed or whatever just leave or send them an email. Stop trolling those who like it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rebellionmarch Trainee Engineer

You can ignore this and leave yourself, I am expressing myself, and if I am breaking some rule or another, report me, and the mods will decide, non-constructiveness is not required. you cannot maintain your cool head for even one post, whilst I have remained polite, if adamant, while pursuing discussion and debate against multiple detractors across two seperate forums, please maintain maturity.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. entspeak Senior Engineer

2001 was realistic sci-fi. So, no valid complaint there.

Giant spiders could exist in the high O2 environments the game uses, not to mention that these particular ones could have the large tracheae capable of allowing them to reach this size (tiny tracheae are what currently limit insect size).

Jump drives - okay, let's put them in with gravity generators as concessions to reality for the sake of gameplay.

What a bitter nonsensical post, OP.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Sanyika66 Trainee Engineer

lel what a big thread on absolutely nothing

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Rebellionmarch Trainee Engineer

Realism in that we have proven there was indeed once intelligent life on mars that left artifacts? Source please.
    and yet again, Source on discovery of complex alien life by anyone, NASA or otheriwse, insect, arachnid or otherwise

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  24. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

Why are we still here? Can we just /thread already?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Your tears- do you ever run dry? You clearly cry about everything.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. Rebellionmarch Trainee Engineer

Wow, constructive criticism much? debate my points, but refrain from childish personal attacks.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  27. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

I haven't used the jump drive at all because I play with an unlimited speed mod. So as far as I'm concerned, the jump drive doesn't even exist, because I use a different gameplay modification that solves the same gameplay problem via a different set of benefits and trade offs.

Were you there to complain about the radiation hazard trefoil that is on one of the premade asteroids? Because it's pretty unlikely for ore to form like that.

Heck, an even more realistic game, KSP, had a magic boulder around a moon, and has several Easter egg monoliths. Are you going to whine about those too?

• Like Like x 4
  28. Morrigi Apprentice Engineer

OP, you just went full retard. Never go full retard.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. Archetypal Trainee Engineer

seriously? are you sure that you understand what 'possible' means?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Rebellionmarch Trainee Engineer

A seperate game which I do not own, is in no way relevant. And to be clear, I am not demanding every realistic detail be as comoplex as it is in real life, simply that it has a foundation in it.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.