Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, May 31, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

The first episode in our new series of behind-the-scenes footage and developer diaries has been released! This week we're introducing you to Medieval Engineers producer Tim Toxopeus. He'll tell you a little more about himself, as well as the short term and long term plans for Medieval Engineers. We want players to keep in touch with what’s going on week-to-week in Medieval Engineers development, so on upcoming Tuesdays you’ll hear a lot more from Tim, programmers, artists, and testers about changes they're making to the game. Keep an eye out for interviews, dev diaries, modding guides, and more!

Developer's note: We want to remind players that with last week's update, we released a new stable branch for Medieval Engineers on Steam (no action is needed from players to access this branch). With the release of this stable branch, we have decided to temporarily pause weekly updates (though video updates will continue as usual). Without the pressure to release something new for players every week, we can direct all of our energy towards getting Medieval Engineers in a more intuitive state and fulfilling our original vision for the game. Read more about this decision on Marek's blog: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/05/keenswh-team-structure-new-medieval_24.html

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Harrekin

So does this mean we'll get more detailed planets in SE too? :D

Nice idea overall, looking forward to more videos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. David184

that would be cool. would like to see more detailed planets too

4. Harrekin

I'd take wolves and bears and such on the Earthlike but that's a digression.

SE gets loads of love, Im mostly glad to see ME getting some love too.

It has the potential to be what Minecraft was always trying to be but could never reach.

5. MechanizedIT

Weekly updates are fun but unrealistic, glad for the change. Welcome to the Medieval Engineers team Tim. I look forward to seeing where the game will end up, engineering focus is much appreciated, however, a dab of NPC management would still be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hakon102

No weekly updates is ok, I know/understand the reasons.

More detailed Planets in Me ? Wow, sounds very nice :) !

Focus on Building/ Construction and Survival is ok, i like it. But, please don't waste too much potential , which this Game has.

Examples:
    - Some better Fighting mechanic ( different Kind of Weapons, Schields)
    - a standard Clothing and armor system
    - Simple NPC's (maybe only merchants, Soldiers and Farmers) + Enemies + Wildlife

Greetings

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. beelzerob

Good first dev video, and glad to see ME has a plan!

I'm completely fine with the transition from weekly updates to weekly videos about progress instead, but note that your viewing public would LOVE an occasional "teaser", or real-live proof of the progress being made behind the scenes. Of course, as seen in the SE community, that can lead to some pretty serious hype...but I personally think ME could stand some hype.

I really look forward to building in ME, especially the "contraptions" you mention....but I for one need a reason to build (I don't play creative mode), so I hope for good survival mechanics that lead to an obvious "this is why I need a castle" moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Harrekin

Just out of interest, will there be a "Dev version" with weekly updates still included?

I'd most likely jump on that train tbh.

9. waterlimon

Would be nice if they explained what they mean by "engineering" in more detail:

Is it about building visually cool things? (like a castle with interesting high level structure and lots of details that all fit together perfectly)
    Is it about building mechanically cool things? (many moving parts, working in unison, to... open a door?)
    Is it about building functionally optimal things? (producing resources as fast and efficiently as possible, for minimal cost, building the most effective defense for the current location and situation, keeping the design extensible and fault tolerant... kind of like programming I guess)
    And further, is the focus more on engineering castles, or engineering small block constructions?

I could also ask, will the focus be more on players making things that are interesting and elegant, or things that are challenging and meaningful (even if ugly due to circumstances)? (basically the difference between creative and survival mode)

Personally I would prefer if the large-scale gameplay was more about functionality and trying to overcome challenges of the environment, and find solutions to a constrained situation with limited time and resources. Whereas the small-scale gameplay (like building a cart, or furnishing a room) would have more creative freedom (as the situation is simpler, and there is less resources used toward the task). So the big things you have to carefully engineer for functional optimality, and the small things you have to carefully engineer for maximal perceived awesomeness.

10. tharkus

Interesting, i hope now M.E. get better. and the devs be able to use its huge potential

11. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Given this line "Without the pressure to release something new for players every week, we can direct all of our energy towards getting Medieval Engineers in a more intuitive state and fulfilling our original vision for the game." Id say no, and updates and comtent willl come out when they're ready.

12. Harrekin

Isn't that the opposite to what they stated in the roadmap tho?

I thought Dev branch would be optional with stable as the default on Steam.

Must say, hugely disappointed at that, the game was marketed as having weekly updates, I know that's all subject to change but it was part of the draw for alot of people.

Having a stable version isn't much fun if there's still nothing to do in the game ;)

13. Cetric

Don't know how you came to that opinion. I have much fun and there is always still too much to do in the game. That's perfect with me.
    Of course we know a thousand things we want more. And discuss here things we imagine. Hope that one or the other idea gets implemented later.
    However, the game as it is now, I found already much more fascinating than a number of full price games I had acquired earlier. Let's not forget about the quality time we had so far.
    In general, I don't like the negative approach and nagging around. We should better encourage the developers by expressing our support and showing appreciation. That is what makes their work more pleasant.
    --
    And tell other people you know they should try out this game, especially history buffs. Sold copies is the other factor by which developers are feeling rewarded.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Deepflame ME Producer KeenSWH Developer

There will be teasers, don't worry. :) We intend to showcase what we are working on once we have things to showcase. :)

Nope, this would defy the point of not having to release anything on any schedule.
    We will go back to regular updates in the future, after we have our ducks in a row, so to speak.

We are still exploring these directions, so it is hard to give a definitive answer to that. It will be a mix of all of the above, probably leaving a lot of it free to the players to define for themselves, but to what degrees for each is something we are currently experimenting with.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Not opposite, just different. It sucks a bit for us, but is something that is probably needed and will end up doing the game some good. Just as importantly though, they're going to be communicating with us rather than just leaving us sitting here.

Dev branch optional, stable as default is what SE is getting, what ME is getting, is a stable version with no weekly updates for an indeterminate amount of time, so that they're not rushing to pump stuff out.

It hasn't been marketed as having weekly updates, its just what we've come to expect from Keen and something that they've stuck to, even at times when they really shouldn't.

While I do agree that I feel that there's a lack of content in the game, things being done this way means that, while in the short term we'll get less content, it more than likely means we'll get more content in the long term and more importantly, that content wil be at a higher standard than previous, more thought out and generally better.

Don't forget, new team structure, new team members, its gonna take them a while to get into the groove of things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Harrekin

Automerge broke and I dont wanna retype it but thank you both for your answers.

Let's roll with it :)

17. effe

Thanks for the update @Deepflame, great video! Sounds like a great plan and much work for you to move forward on at the moment. Glad that you fixed the weekly update things this way too. During an alpha stage, such frequency was not making it, that's for sure.
    I have a tuff question but it may be a good time to put it back on the table at this stage as water impacts or influences pretty much terraforming :) While building these planets, do you plan to consider building some sort of intermediar water solutions even if not procedural? I have been using the voxel one from jugbot mod lately and it's cool to give some more life to the worlds but some animated textures on it, depth detection, etc could make it, i believe, a cool enough element for me to be included in planets.
    Thanks again and long life to ME :)

18. Deepflame ME Producer KeenSWH Developer

Water is not planned at this time, if we are going to add water we would do it properly to fit in with the other more-or-less physically correct systems in the game. So we would have to add the ability for it to flow, buoyancy, etc. Unfortunately this is a lot of work, and while it's undoubtedly very cool, right now we are going to focus our efforts on other elements. Who knows what the future will bring, but no water for now. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. effe

make sense. :) Thanks for your reply
    makes sense. Thanks for your reply :)

20. entspeak

Will modding of planets be available when planets are released? Will they work the same way it does in SE?

21. waterlimon

CONFIRMED
    --- Automerge ---
    If you turn medieval engineers into an ice-world, then you only need to simulate the few liters of water players manage to melt :tu:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Ed Frost

hope things will go in the direction most of us are waiting for.... curious to see what will come the coming weeks.

23. Manchou

what's the benefit to have a spherical planet in ME ? Because, it's clear players are not suppose go in space ... so, why ? It add some difficulties for programmers. As say in an other part of the forum, to see the planet curvature you have to be at hight altitude so what's the interest? Challenge? Map could be flat like doughnut shaped or a fake cylender as it evoked by RedAceFred. It's not a critic, i like to have point of view of programmers and game director. :)

24. beelzerob

I love the idea of planets for medieval engineers. I can't think of any other "ground-based" game (no flying) that gives you a whole planet to explore. Instead, they all put in very arbitrary barriers and supposedly impassable mountains.

Humorously, even though it is by definition finite, I think of planets more as "unlimited".

Besides, your standard issue SE planet would take HOW LONG to walk around? Hours? Big enough for me.

25. waterlimon

Its so they can share technology between SE and ME, instead of maintaining two incompatible technologies.

Plus, its obviosly cooler, and it does also save development time as they dont have to figure out how to prevent players from walking off the edge (I mean, its fine for an alpha, but it doesnt exactly make the game very immersive).

26. Manchou

Yes i understand the fact share technology between two games.

Walking off the edge can be prevent when you are at the end of world you the the opposite of the world and you can turn aroud the worlk isn't it ? But with voxels and in 3d i imagine it a bit difficult.

So ok for planet only if environment is accurate, like many other biomes, spacies of trees, bushes and grass etc to make the game more immersive!

And a little question to Vrage developper if they come here. It will possible to improve the ligthing in-game (both for SE), with some glare and lens effect with a volumetric light when we are indoor or in a forest. And the raycaster of shadow for artificial lighting. I know is a big part of renderer, but i just want know if its plan or not, because we see deely improvement of games but not many things and details about Vrage.

27. Bahroth

@Manchou, also the singular planet idea can mean going forward that there may even be much larger planet type(s) than SE.

28. Ed Frost

give me a good juicy update or good juicy vid.... im curious whats next.... dont destroy the last bit of hope i have left for this project... please i beg you...

• Agree Agree x 1