Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 12

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! Today we have good news - we're getting closer to releasing updates again. The final feature sprint is here for us, followed by polishing our work afterwards. We will be announcing the release date soon, and after that, we want to keep to a regular update schedule again.
    Most regular weekly updates will be minor updates: bugfixes, small features, new blocks, etc. Every now and then, a new major version will be pushed with big features. Each major version released will become a numbered branch on Steam, so you can always revert to older major versions if you want to. Backward compatibility will focus only on the previous major revision. We will drop support for revisions more than 1 major version behind.
    We also want to announce that with the introduction of planets to Medieval Engineers, we will stop updating the 32-bit version of the game. Version 2.70 (current) will be available as a 32-bit branch that can be accessed on Steam, but it will not be updated. This will allow us to introduce a whole planet as your world, and develop more features for the game that would not be possible under 32-bit restrictions.

Medieval Engineers: A Planet Story:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Speshal_Snowman

Yayayayayayyyy!!!

3. Scorpion00021

Very cool. Cant wait to try out planets!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. saundersjames

It's been a long time coming. Well done guys keep it up.

5. beelzerob

I'm pleased with the direction this game is going (or perhaps that it HAS a direction finally). I like the idea of minor bugfix updates every week while building up to the next major update. Please, as you do that, continue to give us peeks on what the next major update will include, as you have done with this one coming up. That helps a lot more and is much more bearable than the Space Engineers method of "We're working on lots of things, but who knows when you'll ever see them!".

I think keeping each major version available on steam is a FANTASTIC idea....something I wish Kerbal Space Program did. Probably something Space Engineers could learn from as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scorpion00021

The only way that 'certain new features that shall not be named' could potentially be implemented in the future while allowing players to opt out if they want to play their old world is for a versioning system like this to be utilized. Adding 'things that should not be hinted at' would almost certainly require a different version if the planet files and could break older stuff. Wise choice team!

7. RobotAccomplice

I'm sorry, but...why the fuck do we need planets!?!? Seems like a good way to drop performance without adding any benefit.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scorpion00021

its to add enough space for long-term servers and for players who are focused on exploration.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. noname42

The short stories are fine with the exception that they are a bit confusing sometimes. For example at the beginning the red guy was following the blue guy so it seams he was spying, but then suddenly they go hunting together. Also you might want to stick to less guys because once there were 3 reds and blues it got pretty confusing what is going on.

10. Scorpion00021

I assumed they were friends since they were working together in the beginning. Then they went their separate ways after siegemaster red-guy put a hole through blue's house while deer hunting. Looks like things continued going downhill after that and their relationship continued to degrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Merandix

Well you guys said it helped tremendously with finding bugs as you test the game in a way QA isn't testing it. So either get QA to ALSO test it this way, or catch two birds with one stone like this. Maybe get a bit more narrative in it so we aren't as confused. It's okay to use audio. Great work!

12. RobotAccomplice

I guess I haven't followed the development on this game for a while, but can you still play on smaller, non planet maps?

13. tharkus

awesome , we will be waiting for that planet update :)
    good work.

14. Scorpion00021

I'm honestly not sure, but from the sounds of it, the map will be changed to a planet in upcoming patches. It also seems that there will be a versioning system added to the game, similar to what they added to Minecraft in late patches, where a user can jump back to older versions of the game. Because of this, I believe that you should be able to go back to the game's current version where the map is small and flat.

15. Ghostickles

Very excited for planets, can we anticipate Horses at some point?
    Huge travels planned, much land to survey.
    Please say this will be a thing.
    Thanx KEEN!
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Cleardragonf

OMG wait! will the be eventually large water masses on those planets that may or may not require water physics? like boats!!! WOOT! time to go a viking! come lancelot! bring my coconuts and the bastila aboard the tireme! :D
    this is very exciting....now i'm waiting (impatiently) for the release of these planets :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Silen

Fix the optimization guys. ^^

18. Ash87

You'll need to build them out of miniblocks...

19. Ghostickles

Windmills do not work that way :)

20. Mr Engineer

I do like the idea of Planets. Although not sure how of a point they have in an offline game. They would probably work more online. Small playable areas to build stuff works but I can see the pros of planets. Age of Empires like games for example. 14 People on a server isn't bad but I have a feeling they were probably playing on a LAN, not over an internet connection as about 80% of people would be.