Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 13

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! The 13th episode in our series of behind-the-scenes developer diaries has been released! This week Tomas Rampas, our lead game designer, will reveal more about how planets are designed in Medieval Engineers. For more details about concepts like planetary tiles, roads and the overall design approach, watch the dev diary video below.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Speshal_Snowman

Yayayayayayayayayayayayauayuuyyyyyyyyayayayayayayyyyyyy!!!!

3. Ed Frost

..... i thought we would be getting stuff today D:

4. captainbinary

Very nice, quite an interesting concept. Keep up the good work guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scorpion00021

Very cool, the idea of "Regions" makes me wonder if there will be certain areas that each contain unique landforms or other properties.

Also, if there are land-shape modules that developers are creating, will there sill be procedural generation applied to the values of each of these so that they dont look like repeating carbon-copy landscapes?

Since the worlds will be built by dynamic modules, would it be possible for the devs to release larger worlds in the future?

6. beelzerob

Hmm...ya, I thought a release date was gonna be announced. Must need more time in the oven.

I dream of mountain ranges! If I can't build near a stream or beautiful lake, then tucked up in snowy mountains would do.

I guess one thing I don't understand yet is...why would you a) ever build near anyone, and b) want to attack them? I guess some multiplayer worlds will be big happy peace affairs, or is everyone put onto arbitrary teams, and you just understand that it's your duty to try and kill off the other team? And I'm still trying to figure out how this will work in single player or co-op mode.

I'm not expecting answers yet. I'm waiting patiently. Space Engineers has seized my interest again, when Kerbal Space Program and Terraria aren't, so I'm good for now...take your time.

Oh, I did think of a question: All this focus on creating natural choke points and terrain as defense...can terrain not be deformed like in Space Engineers? What good is their gate if I can dig around it? Or can you not dig on someone's claimed area? That seems a little unreal...perhaps just that digging on someone's claim takes a LONG time?

7. Scorpion00021

My idea of how one could solve this is to add several exotic resources to the game and give them purpose. A few ideas would be Silver, Gold, Diamonds and Emeralds. Most of this would be used for trade and decoration, but even if common ores took a bit of work to find and mine, it would give players incentive to attack one another for supply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. beelzerob

That's a good idea...or control of a river, if river could be used for power generation or transportation....

I forget if the taxes are based on size of building on claimed area. If so, then that WOULD be a reason to want wealth I spose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scorpion00021

I believe it was stated that taxes would be per plot itself and not likely influenced by structures on the plot. I would still like to see water myself, as it has less implications in ME than it does in SE, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. If it was eventually added to the game, sources of water would definitely cause disputes over areas and add more strategic conflict to the game.

Really, for a multiplayer game to generate interest, you need to add depth of gameplay and incentive for players to interact. In minecraft, trade was almost inevitable because of the number of resources and the difficulty in acquiring some of them. Raiding was also an inevitable part of the game for the same reasons, but there was no system in minecraft to defend one's creations/treasures while offline without mods. Here, Medieval Engineers has an opportunity to improve on this point. They already have worker bots. If they added the ability for players to assign guards to areas of their plots, the game could really be fun.

Life is Feudal encouraged trade because the game limited the number of skills each player could adopt, and also made it quite difficult and time consuming to gather certain things. I'm not thinking this is really the right direction for Medieval Engineers, but just throwing it out there as being another thing that made players cooperate and compete.

In any case, I'm excited to see where this game goes :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bahroth

Looking fantastic, and its great to hear that there are going to be systems to create pseudo random planets.

11. propagandawar

No monsters are armies to control/defend the game loses it's longevity real quick. Especially being in a medieval setting. I love Space Engineers, but the lack of an option to have AI coming at you (Not dogs) but ships to planets and actual troops or npc's to place in your large ships or structures makes it barren and kinda boring. Now if all you're doing is designing it's a blast, but that only goes so far.

12. Bahroth

Well the way it sounded, there is potential to have enemy (barbarian) forts, and player based bots that still could be tweaked to perform way better.

Game still has tons of potential up its sleeves, its just getting the big things out of the way and implemented first.

13. tharkus

nice work.
    there could be ruins with some loot inside , maybe with barbarians guarding it :)

14. Regnilse

This was a good update, I like how you gave real information on what you guys are working on and how the game will be.
    I hate to sound like a broken record but are you thinking of adding a tile or designation that would represent water, I know it wont be a physics water but even just something that could look like a river or lake would be really nice, the workshop has a water texture it would be nice if we could properly use it.

15. OmEgA_StOrM

Nice Information

just as an idea: have you ever considered the idea to have some official dedicated Servers?

16. Cleardragonf

gah! come on planets!!!! lol oooh control of camelot by land and sea! hahahaha this would be awesome...the problem right now with some of the AI's seems to be that they're a bit buggy....hopefully that'll be fixed in the near future. and if they could 'group' many bots together to form a Static Bot....well that may save on processing problems... so like if one person wanted 30 miners....if they're in the same location...they could just group them under one static AI and have it multiply by 30 times the resources and so forth :D
    at least in principle. And guards! yes! I could picture that :D 30 Elven Guards on the Gate Tower. Let those barbarians taste Elven STEEL!!!! :D

17. Merandix

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I like the fact that the devs are putting in 'ideal locations' for castles. I'd rather have to find them myself in randomly generated terrain that perhaps needs quite some construction preparation, but then again, maybe it actually does. It also raises a question about what a 'region' actually is in terms of size.

End result looks pretty good though; so lets see where this is going.

Based on them talking about the terrain generators 'concept' still being worked on, I somehow wouldn't expect an actual update in the coming weeks. To me, concept sounds like 'starting phase'. But again software development can be odd... so we'll see :)

18. asialsky

Continuing to wait for update that'll fix highlighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ed Frost

.... Youre aware we're basicly all waiting to get an update to begin with....

20. anders w

Looking realy good, but how would the player go about adding new roads to the world?
    Is there gonna be a terraforming action that "flattens" according to the terrain or how will that be solved since the current terraforming system in both se and me is pretty limited when it comes to working with all the curves and hills on planets instead of the actual cube it is made from.

21. asialsky

My point exactly. Everything is being held for one BIG update. I'd take actually being able to interact with things without spinning 45* in the wrong direction over planets anyday.

I still love planets; they're just being bundled with / holding back a much needed fix.

22. Frostik

What is the benefit of having a road next to your castle? Right now it sounds like an invitation to attack my castle.
    Will there be a road texture?

23. Mr Engineer

Wow, I love that terrain generation tool. Looks so realistic out of a quick sketch done in (Maya?)