Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 14

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

Summary
    Hello, Engineers! In today's dev diary with Medieval Engineers Producer Tim Toxopeus, we take you back in time to the age of Medieval heraldry, originating in the early 1100s. Heraldic achievements were very intricate and complex designs in the Middle Ages, and modern Heraldry is still undergoing development.
    In Medieval Engineers, banners are currently blue/white and red/white. We think this is a bit plain, and doesn't leave much room for decoration or storytelling. Plus, looking at the numerous workshop flags and banner mods, we know that our community wants more.
    In response to your wishes, today we're proud to present banners! Medieval Engineers will soon allow banners that are player-customisable. They have 3 layers (background color, pattern + color, and a symbol + color) as well as a bonus layer. As a gift to our early community of players, anyone who has already bought Medieval Engineers or who buys the game before our next release will receive a special, unmoddable layer. All other patterns and symbols will be moddable through our workshop.

We're also launching a banner design contest - starting today! You can design your own 3-layer banner according to our technical specifications. Tim will personally choose the winner, who will have their banner design elements implemented in the vanilla game.
    Check out the contest rules on our forum to learn a little more and submit your banner design: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/7386928

• Like Like x 11
  2. Ed Frost

Awesome ;D

... little question.... you want a banner in collour, and the pattern and symbol layer in 2 seperated files using alpha masks?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  3. Scorpion00021

Very cool. I had hoped there would be banner variety added at some point, but this is really nice! And the idea to create a community contest is a fantastic way to get a bigger pool of banner inspiration.

4. Speshal_Snowman

5. OmEgA_StOrM

OMG that is amazing :)
    I was actually planning to write this as a Suggestion. I am really looking Forward to that Feature. (I hope this also includes the claimblock)

6. Deepflame ME Producer KeenSWH Developer

Yep, the claimblock has your personal banner on it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Frostik

You really like my ideas, do you? :)

8. Deepflame ME Producer KeenSWH Developer

Hah, I suppose we do! ;)

9. KingdomBragg

10. noname42

Really nice addition to the game.
    Am I considered a early backer if I won the game in a raffle? :D

11. Stefan

Yes, because the key was bought before the next big update

12. Ed Frost

@Deepflame question for you guys, how are you going to treat the "special symbol thingy"? maybe better said, how are you guys gonna make sure existing players get it and nobody else? are you gonna add it as somesort of dlc that no-one can buy or what? maybe itd be easier for me to ask it in dutch, so bear with me :p

hoe gaan jullie de speciale layer aan de huidige playerbase geven, zonder dat er later mensen zijn die het ineens ook kunnen gebruiken terwijl zij het spel later hebben gekocht? word het een soort van dlc, of word er een database gemaakt met player-ids/steamids/keys die bijgehouden word en waarin staat wie het krijgt, en wanneer iemand een server joint het vergelijkt word o.i.d. ik hoop dat het duidelijk is, (ik begrijp mijzelf ondertussen al niet eens meer :baby:

13. Deepflame ME Producer KeenSWH Developer

Through the Steam API we can get the date when a user activated the game on their account. We are simply using the activation date for this feature. :)

14. Ed Frost

ah thanks :)

15. Mr Engineer

I love that banner system. In game, so simple too. Very effective as well.