Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 2

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

The 2nd episode in our new series of behind-the-scenes footage and developer diaries has been released! This week we're giving you a tour of the Medieval Engineers work space in the Keen Software House offices. Spoiler: we have a lot of Medieval-themed stuff :) We also briefly say hello to members of our dev team.
    Finally, we have a special weekly update video planned for next week - a Q&A session with our devs! We need your help with questions, so please leave them in the comments section on our forum or send them to us through Facebook or Twitter. Thanks!

Developer's note: With the release of this stable branch, we have decided to temporarily pause weekly updates (though video updates will continue as usual). Without the pressure to release something new for players every week, we can direct all of our energy towards getting Medieval Engineers in a more intuitive state and fulfilling our original vision for the game. Read more about this decision on Marek's blog: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2016/05/keenswh-team-structure-new-medieval_24.html

• Like Like x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Mosseman

1st?

• Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Late x 1
  3. KingdomBragg

Interesting, keep up the good work :)

4. entspeak

For the Q&A —

Question 1: Is the plan to have default ME planets be the same size as default SE planets - 120km in diameter?

Question 2: Will planet modding be available at the time of the release of planets in ME? I have some exciting ideas for worlds based on real world topography.

• Like Like x 2
  5. OmEgA_StOrM

For the Q&A

Question 1: Why are you trying to create planets for Medieval engineers isn't it smarter to create a huge flat map because in medieval times you weren't abel to walk around the world anyway

Question 2: Do you consider to add water (and boats)

Question 3: Witch features are you planning to add to make the game more 'playable' (Witch means that you have something else to do than just building)

Question 4: Is the change in updating (removing weekly updates) just for the short term are will this be for the entire early access time.

Thx for answering :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stori3D Past Productions

Nice behind-the-scenes, thanks for that view!

Question 1: Will we please be able to get signs/plaques/writing in the game? It will be WAY easier to build scenarios -- and to tell people what they're actually seeing -- if there is a way to write and show signs in the game. This is good for RP but also for historic walkthroughs like my Roman forts & anything else anyone may want to re-create.

Question 2: When will our engineers get a wider range of clothing and of actions? It's obvious that a big driver of these games is the videos -- Space Engineers has some fantastic RP/story videos that dedicated people have created. I'd love to see more -- and do more -- in Medieval Engineers. But our tools are so incredibly limited. The more you give us, the more we'll be able to give back!

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Adrian13sk

Question 1.- Are you planning to improve combat/fight system? Is it gonna be more realistic or it's gonna stay the same?

Thank you for your answer!

9. K4tniss

My Question :
    Do you have an ownership system planned for doors and chests and such? If so, will it differ from the Space Engineers system?

10. Sabo

For the Q&A

Question 1: Will we see in near future farming?

Question 2: Wolves! When?

Question 3: In previous video DeepFlame said that you dont want to players take care about NPC. Even though most of the player comunity want NPC managment. Why not? (Or how about something smilliar to Fallout4 settlemets)

Question 4: Wiil we see AI improvement in near future?

Question 5: How long you expect this period of code refining

Question 6: How about some economy (buying and selling things from NPC)

Bonus Question: Will you consider Q&A with RayvenQ <- This guy know things. :)

Ok, sorry for my poor english and keep up good work

Zdraví Sabo :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  11. waterlimon

Q1: Will there be NPC trade? I have always asked this, because in for example dwarf fortress, trade allows you to focus your efforts on different aspects of the game, every playthrough (because you can produce excess of a few things you specialize in, and trade those for the ones you dont). If you have to make everything yourself, the complexity is overwhelming and ultimately limits the scope of the game, and makes it not replayable (every playthrough works the same, in same environment, because you dont have the freedom to choose your focus that NPC trading allows). This also ties in with being able to set up your castle/life in multiple environment types with different weather and available resources.

Q2: Will heat simulation (winter, summer, heating indoors, preserving food in some cold cellar...) be possible as a core survival mechanism at some point? Fits naturally in the grid system (and the long term planning involved in making sure theres fuel, and food is preserved for winter, etc, adds longevity to gameplay)

Q3: Will multiplayer survival be more PvP or PvE? In SE, PvP doesnt really fit in the core gameplay, unless there is some roleplay or a complicated system of rules to direct the fighting. Just end up hiding from other players. In a supposedly multiplayer server. Just lags more than single player for no improvement to gameplay experience, unless youre an incredibly dedicated player. Like, you cant slowly build a nice castle in a persistent world, while also aggressively attacking your neighbors with catapults (solo) while theyre offline. Just doesnt work.

12. Key

Looking good so far guys!

For the Q&A:

Red - Important and should be considered added in.
    Blue - Would be nice to have.

Q1: Is water planned for future implementation into the game?

Q2: Has an improved or at least diverse chat system been considered? Such as Local chat - small radius around the player, then House Chat - House visible only chat system.

Q3: Will there be more cosmetic items? (Doors, Windows, Signs..etc) Also will we be able to color our clothing again or have other clothing options?

Q4: How often will updates roughly occur?

Thanks for your time.
    -Key

13. Ed Frost

1. when will ores make it to the game?
    2. smithing?
    3. farming?
    4. brains for our minions? (see signature)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. SaturaxCZ

TIME 2:32 Testing computer.... Im not sure if developers had enought alcohol for MMO testing ;) 1 bottle may not be enough. ( I normally need 2 until i find the courage to try it. :tu: )
    +Im prety sure Miroslav *Mirzipan* Farkaš is our culprit in this bottle case, but we need fingerprints from bottle first :) before i will point finger on some one.

For the Q&A:

1. How will the combat system look like? Will it be similar to some diferent game ?
    2. Will be possible to change the colors, textures, models for walls, roofs, gates and other things, in order to better capture the architecture of diferent cultures like arabic, japanese, and others without mods ?
    3. Will game have domestic animals like chickens, cows, goats, horses ?
    3.1 If yes: Will we use domestic animals for riding and moving our creations ?
    4. Will be player able to customize thinks in game like cloths, flags, banners for him, his NPCs and other creations ?
    5. Will we get cogs ?
    5.1 If yes: How will cogs looks like ? Premade gear boxes or will player place cogs of diferent sizes and game will deal with it ?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Valgarr

For the Q&A

-Will you be adding new building materials such as palisade walls and wooden type of structures, which could be useful to survival as it could be faster and cheaper to make when you want to establish a quick safe base to operate from? or will we be able to have different materials to build our bases with, and will there be new blocks available?

16. Zartex

Hello!

For the Q&A:

First,
    Think you improve survival mode ? Maybe add agriculture? Horses? The wind ?

Second,
    I think it would be very important to add a real pulley system to the game. Is it possible?

Third,
    The multiplayer is really buggy , and poorly optimized. Think you correct this?

Thanks, and greeting from France !

17. Merandix

I like the fresh new direction of these video's!

Questions:
    1. Deepflame, I once got directed to your steampage from Marek's blog... did my eyes deceive me, or did I read 'Leeuwarden, the Netherlands' there? If so, hi from very near your hometown ;)
    2. Will the game support slightly more compact wooden engineering soon? I dislike how carts are currently being manoeuvred around.
    3. Have you already considered how to make building more user friendly? (one of the big things putting me off from buying)

This games concept screams 'buy this' at me, but I'm putting it off due to budgetary restraints and currently more playable games to spend my money on, but I want nothing more than you guys to succeed. Especially if you pull off some water engineering... use that awesome canvas of those ships as inspiration! ;)

Also, slightly more compact way of telling all this: Please give me a few more reasons to buy this game. There's so much win in its concept!

18. Trench

1. When will the game UI/GUI be modified to fit the more "medieval" aspect? I feel that the font, buttons, the whole layout is very very similar to the Space Engineers, are some changes to give a better "general" feel on the to-do list?
    2. Will some sort of a better whitelist system that can allow STEAM user id's or some sort of unique ID instead of the current system?
    3. Will the game be more optimized for hardware? I'm running higher end games like ARMA 3 etc on full graphics however Medieval Engineers is stuttering a lot.

Thank you for the answers! Looking forward to the future updates! :)

19. Hanfree

Question 1: For what you waste your time and effort in make a developer diaries whem you can make more content and bug fix in the game?

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  20. PhoenixTheSage

Oh gawd guys, if I wasn't all the way in Florida I would get you a proper testing server. Like, holy shit lol. I mean, IT isn't even my focus...I'm a programmer...but that made me cringe. You definitely need more than one server box to do testing on as well, considering the heavy physics-based nature of the game. Different CPU's can have very different results.

21. Cetric

Don't you think the future and development of this game would be better encouraged and secured if you *first* buy the game since it impresses you so much and *then* you and hopefully thousands others thereby help maintain the concept instead of seeing it starve beforehand, when too many of your sort hesitate with investing their money (which isn't so much)?

22. Dan2D3D69 Moderator

Hi Team! :)

Questions :
    1- I would like to see or know more about future machanical blocks like gears as to know what will be added in game, would be appreciated to see some.

2- BOT
    > We saw some characters availble in the small chest earlier > female, child and old man model, will they be added to the game?

> Wolves? I want to know more about wolves.

> Guards? Will there be guards added to the game?

Thank you Guys!

• Like Like x 1
  23. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Because with them holding back updates, for legitimate reasons, they thought it'd be good that they stay communicative with us at this point in time, rightly so.

If you think them taking a few minutes out of a single day to record the update (probably spending less than than they did with the actual update videos) once a week, has any meaningful impact on the development of the game, then I'm afraid to say you're wrong, and they are working on more content and bug fixes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Hakon102

Hi there, I like the Video

Hm.. so many good Questions are already asked :)

Question: Will there be Devices/ machines, which must supplied by mechanical energy ? e.g. Millstones , Bellows for furnaces or forges , sawmills.

Greetings!

Edit: Question: There are Plans to expand your Dev Team?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  25. Harrekin

Ik ben een boterham ;)

26. Ed Frost

.... you are bread? give me food..... let me eat you.....
    ter informatie.... nederlands..... (just so you know.... dutch)

27. Harrekin

"I am a sandwich"...

I have an app for learning Dutch, alot of the statements are for teaching grammar but don't make much sense ;)

28. Ed Frost

i never use sandwich.... :woot: but if you wish.... you could try to talk with me in dutch :p but tell me... why would you want to learn dutch?

29. Frostik

>When will we get more modding guides?

• Like Like x 1
  30. CodyCartel

Question: Will your team make the character movement similar to Battlefield 3's? It is the best I've ever used! You should consider!