Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 5

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy KeenSWH Developer

Summary
    The 5th episode in our new series of behind-the-scenes footage and developer diaries has been released! This week we introduce you to Cestmir, one of our Medieval Engineers programmers, so he can tell you a bit more about the decay system we're working on.
    The decay system is designed to make entities decay if they're been in a scene for a long time. We've designed the system so that players get used to items on the ground disappearing, and start to put them into containers. Making these items disappear after a time allows us to make the game run better for you. The whole decay system is moddable, which allows us to add a decay component to any entity.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Pretmaker

Second, how is it possible.

Love the update videos :).

• Like Like x 2
  3. xzosimusx

Really like the new grid decay, looks great!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Speshal_Snowman

5. Stori3D Past Productions

I love the deer hunt! But maybe next time they'll set up a booby-trap using "tearable" rope and a trap door to actually catch it?? After all it would be cool to show, you know, Engineering!!!

The decay system looks very clever. And I wonder if it can be an actual "decay," so that meat, say, "decays" first into rotten meat, and then disappears? I get the performance angle. But I do hope there's a way to toggle it off for when we build levels & scenes that rely on having items lying in view for atmosphere -- or as a "secret stash." Those little objects lying around add so much to atmosphere -- and sometimes to actual story/gameplay/scenarios.

6. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Well, thats certainly going to screw with how I like to play, having actual physical stockpiles, so I hope it's a world/server option, even with the times being modable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. entspeak

Love the idea of grid decay. Also, the more I see the planet in the story, the more impressed I am.

8. Deewad

Grid decay looks useful but I hope it is toggable aswell I enjoy having physical stockpiles laying around

9. Scorpion00021

Grid decay is a good idea for cleaning up trash. Will the decay period be configurable in the future?

10. MechanizedIT

You can't just put floating entities to sleep or swap them out for static objects? I like the decay of fallen structures, but some builds depend on large dynamic blocks.

Edit: would be cool to add rubble voxel under decayed structures.

11. Harrekin

What about...if it's on top of a player placed block it doesn't decay?

So stick a basic floor under the stockpile and then happy days.

12. Ed Frost

..... Not sure what to think of this.

13. Frostik

I really like the decay system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CanOmer

I suggest an open ground stockpile similar to Stronghold. It would work like chests (but built by large blocks with few size options: 1x1, 1x2, 2x2...etc) in the game but has very large inventory. It would show its content as graphical objects (timber, stone..etc) but not physical.[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. tharkus

Nice developer diaries, that M.E. planets are looking awesome.

16. Ed Frost

glad there ae more people with that idea.... When i came up with it some people didnt like it... :D

17. Frostik

Best suggestion i have seen in a while. Really like this idea!!!

18. Oxraider

Looks nice, especially the trap systems for hunting trophies ! :D
    And please if stuff decays make a chest that looks like a large wood stockpile to 'store' wood logs in so it still looks like we actually lay them down near our castle/village ...(same for rocks)

Lastly, please let us make some kind of ranch/deer farm too to let pigs/chickens multiply :D
    Should be possible i think :D

Love what you guys are creating :)
    Looks like Medieval Engineers really IS going to be saved from doom :p
    This is going to be an AAA game in the end if you ask me ! :D

Grtz Oxraider
    --- Automerge ---
    I sure hope we will be able to set the time like we see fit any time in the in-game options menu or whenever we want to edit some options on the saved files menu ...
    Then I really have zero problems with this system :)

19. ZoqFot

Depends on how the decay operates will determine whether it mess with our area stockpiles or not. Decay could be applied to broken items, but not materials, materals such as timber having a long decay timer. Like SE where an item is removed (or decays) once it is a certain distance from the player and fulfils a set number of requirements. In the old version with variable length timbers, my building sites would start to accumulate offcuts that I didn't have a use for.

However the new system only has full length timbers for stockpiling. I know area inventories was brought back because we were clamouring for it (as it's so darn useful and plausible) but trying to force us back to containers feels wrong. I like the idea of an open ground stockpile though. Acts like a container but visually stockpile. May appease both camps to some degree. (I'd prefer just my good ole' pile but I could live with this).

20. waterlimon

If they create nice looking, very cheap to build, scalable containers where you can actually see (an approximation of) the resource you put inside (dont mind if its limited to single type, for basic resources), then I dont mind having to use containers.

But if you need to create a mountain of chests that cost more than the stored materials themselves, that kind of sucks.

Ideally this would all be automatic, but then you need some extra checks to make sure the transformation from random floating objects, to a container, doesnt break something or end up inside another object.
    For some materials, transforming floating objects to voxels would work (so I can have a mountain of gold coins)

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Hanfree

Medieval castles in my conuntry dont got restauration and are ok
    Erase the prefabs
    And put again the old inventory and construction mechanics

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Harrekin

23. beelzerob

I like the large grid decay implementation...pretty clever, honestly. I'm glad it's moddable, as I'm sure I'd like my rubble to stick around a long time, assuming I have the PC that can handle it.

24. Hakon102

the decay system can be good, if the despawn time is high enough.

25. ripchord

Heya,

I like the idea of HandItem entities disappearing after a time to keep floating object numbers sensible. From what I can see, the decay system has FloraDecay and BasicDecay components assignable to entities, but there are no corresponding scripts to action the entity removal.

Could any uber .cs wizard or dev post a usable script? I'm getting there with my modding but baby steps with scripts (luckily there was a StatLogic script for me to tweak to make my Barbarians stronger :)

Cheers!