Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 7

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Xocliw, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Xocliw Public Relations Developer

The 7th episode in our new series of behind-the-scenes footage and developer diaries has been released! In this week's episode, we tell you more about how area ownership will work in the game. We also address some community feedback we received over the last week.

The main feedback we received about flora was about farming and seasons in Medieval Engineers.
    - As developers, we feel that farming fits the Medieval setting, but we need to design this properly. Right now, we are very busy designing the planets, area ownership, etc., but we are considering our options with regards to farming.
    - We like the idea of bringing seasons to the game, however, this is a large undertaking so we will not be working on this right now.

For area ownership, we outline the basics of the system. This includes how the areas are determined and the process of claiming land. We also describe the benefits of area ownership (locked doors and an access rights system, respawning, and area rules) and some of the downsides (paying taxes, and that the claim block must be defended rather than just walled-in).

Area ownership is a big topic and we've only covered the basics this week. Stay tuned for more info and a Q&A about area ownership in the developer diary next Tuesday.

Many thanks to our players and we hope you enjoy the latest episode in our mini-series!

• Like Like x 13
  2. Thermonuklear

Seeing things slowly spool up makes me all giddy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

Looking good, although I wonder if you'd be able to make it so that you can build onto your claim blocks, upgrading them and making them look more and more impressive, in order to dynamically increase the size of your claim (if you have the resources).

Though I am wondering about the taxes given that there's no income in the game, wondering how that will turn out, whether it'll be something you get based on resources/buildings/things in your claimed area or getting the income from somewhere else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. noname42

I hope you won't have to pay taxes in singleplayer.
    Also gold confirmed? :)

5. CanOmer

What about judgement hour?

In Life is Feudal, it is a feature for long games on dedicated servers where players are online time to time. It is an adjustable world setting; for example every Wednesday and Sunday between 21:00 and 22:00 is judgement hour. In judgement hour, claim doesn't protect the area, so players should be online in judgement hour to protect their settlements, castles..etc

6. Ed Frost

this sounds like lifeisfeudal.... But id prefect to have dynamic growth of the claim instead of having a fixed claim.
    with a max radius ofc. But with the possibility to built another claimmonument a bit furthef away, which will merge if they are same owner.

7. tharkus

Nice i like the new claim sistem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SaturaxCZ

For Q&A:
    1. How will player in game know where one area for claiming start and where end ? Will there be placed some borderline stones to mark edges of area ? ( for exaple like settlers3 with less density of stones )
    2. Will there be some distance for building from area edges, so player will not build one castle on borderline of 4 areas and claim 4 at same time ? ( or some rulez like, ownership stones have to keep minimal X block distance from one another )
    3. Will we get somethink like alarm bell working with ownership stone and creating sound, then just warning message that enemys are in area/attacking castle ?
    4. For owned items like crate, doors, gates, atc... will we have alternative way open it without turning alarm on ? Like some lockpicking, stealing, sneaking in castle, atc... in game ?
    5. What if i want move my ownership stone from one place to another and not lose ownership of area ?
    6. How will player pay taxes ? Will we have to mine a valuable ores like gold, silver, atc... or everythink will be possible to trade for coins ?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  9. CanOmer

Will you add water?

10. OmEgA_StOrM

• Like Like x 1
  11. waterlimon

My questions:
    1. The claimable areas look fixed. How do I claim an area in intersection of 4 claimable areas (if thats where I want my castle)? Does each claim block give you the N nearest claimable areas (instead of just a single box)?
    2. A grid of boxes looks artificial and doesnt feel good for ownership. For the system to be intuitive and streamlined, it must be visualized. Would a radius around each claim block, or some kind of voronoi diagram, look better for defining the ownership regions (this is also considering question #1, as a grid doesnt even work well)? If implementation requires grid, use fine grained grid to approximate whatever is visualized.
    3. How do you prevent the gameplay from devolving from "attack and defend castles" to "attack and defend claim blocks"?. I can already see how everyone wastes 50% of their play time building the "optimal claim block protector" (that abuses a few glitches and design flaws to make the claim block impossible to capture) that someone will post on the forums in the future.
    4. For survival mode, in the future, would a 'realistic' ownership system be possible? Cant open doors if no key, hard to deconstruct walls unless you can climb on top (and even then it takes effort), dogs and other defences prevent you from just walking in... (and of course, can dig terrain, but its ok because its slow and requires resources and infrastructure, and the owner can just shovel all the ground back in to fix holes)

I mean, you can still have some kind of 'central block' that must be protected, but it should be the last thing the enemy goes for. There is a great risk of oversimplifying attack/defence by making it all revolve around a single block.

12. Eol

Everything looks really damn cool, but I agree with several others on the fact that claimed area should be circular with the Stone as its center. This would prevent the player from building his Stone too close from an area border and thus making half of his castle (given the Stone is the center (which sounds legit) of the castle) non-owned as it overlaps with the next area...

13. Scorpion00021

I'm having trouble grasping the proposed implementation of claims and contested areas. It seems that, by your explanation, a player can take an area in two ways:
    1)He can destroy your ownership block, then place his own claim
    2)He can place a claim in your area, making it contested for a few minutes, then he owns it.

I would really like it if an enemy was FORCED to destroy a claim block to take a region. Otherwise, someone could just place a claim when someone logs out without ever attacking them.

Also, taxes.
    So having to manage multiple claim blocks could be tedious. You say the player has to PHYSICALLY pay taxes. Does this mean the player must log in every day? Or can the player store gold in each claim block (like a reactor in Space Engineers)? Could we get like a throne block or a scribe's desk where we can see the status of all of the claims (and potentially how much gold is stored)? Also, perhaps a larger claim block that costs more exotic resources to make a single, easier to manage claim?

Gold:
    Where does it come from? Can we mine ore and make coins from it? Do we trade resource to roaming/stationary traders for gold?

Thanks guys, the game is looking awesome!

14. Schnizzel

I like the Idea,that 2 Factions (Red and Blue) are fighting against each other on this Planet to extend the dominion.

15. SaturaxCZ

What if some one just want be bandit, merchant, farmer, atc... without owning area ? ( Make somethink like neutral faction RED and BLUE can own like thinks ) not bandits. I dont think 2 faction is enought, beter is let it free and see how players creat aliances and wage wars, then let player pick RED or BLUE... +Owner of area will colect taxes, so he will have no reason not have neutrals in area ( it benefit him have same one work for him like slave and pay taxes)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  16. Dan2D3D69 Moderator

Nice work Guys!

Q/A

CS Maps > What will it be for this play?
    New base Maps on planets?

17. Deepflame ME Director Developer

Ah, I don't want to answer everything now, because I'll run out of food for the Q&A but I want to clear this up now.

You cannot place a claim on an area that is already claimed. The contested period is only when an area is being claimed for the first time, once it is claimed you cannot build another claim block in that region until you destroy the old one. Additionally, there will be sufficient buffer for taxes so that you can go on at least some sort of a vacation, how long it will be is still being decided on, but it'll definitely be enough time to go away, at least for a while. Additionally, you can always get an ally to pay the taxes for you. As for what exactly the upkeep will be, currently we will probably go with any resources are valid taxes, with different materials having different resource values. A stone or a log is probably not worth much, but you can get it easily, while a more refined resource may be more valuable, etc. Gold is still something we are trying to figure out. If it's abundantly available, it's not really worth much, if it's too rare, it's something no-one can bother with.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Schnizzel

Yes, that would be ok :)

19. Scorpion00021

Thanks for the clarification @Deepflame . Sounds like you guys have worked out a pretty good system. I really do hope you are able to come up with a gold based economy because it makes trade so much easier if everyone is bartering against a common thing.

20. Frostik

Why add a houses feature if you have only two factions? I´m sure there will be more colors and banners in the future. I for myself would prefer a banner design contest to include the community.

21. Ed Frost

or a function that we can create banners ingame. About 20 icons, possibility to choose position of an icon, possibility to change their size, and about 2/3 icons on one banner. Ll individualstuff changed. And couple of backgrounds

• Like Like x 1
  22. Hakon102

Im not a big fan of claiming-land-systems where other players are limited. This ends in MP with "other Player destroy your Claim Block and take your Land with all Buildings while you are offline". Especially everyone knows where your castle/House is, with a Claiming System.
    Moreover it's unrealistic. How you say, it's was a common tactic to dig a way under the castle or Build a siege fort in the enemy territory. But yes, it bring's also some benefits and i can live with it, if it's Modable/deactivatable.
    -Gold Coins/simple econemy or something else confirmed! :pbjt:
    - Farming confirmed:pbjt:

- No Season? No problem, i can live with it. If we have several climateiczone's, how in SE. Maybe simple Weather effect's would be nice. Snowfall in cold climaticzone's (How Tundra), Rain in moderate/ temperate climaticzone , Sandstorms in desert regions

In summary, i think, you Guy's are on the right way to make a great Game. ;)

Greeting's

• Like Like x 1
  23. Scorpion00021

I thought about this as well and had an idea that would at least help mitigate this.
    If players could build an object, maybe one that looked like a bow rack, barrels, and arrows, then an archer would spawn at that point to guard. Having such structures would add to the taxes on that claim (to pay for the archer salary). If the archer dies, he will respawn after some server-configurable time as long as the archer supply structure remains. There would also be a similar item for spawning knights/melee combatants. This would give standing structures a fighting chance against attackers at the cost of player gold.

This would roughly equate to turrets in SE

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. Sabo

When i see that great environment what planets offer on my mind came question: Will we see derelicts like in SE and maybe some barbarian's stronghold ??
    Pretty please :)

25. Hakon102

Guard's / hire-able NPC's is something else that i want.
    Your concept would only work/fit, if the attackers can also use NPC's. Example 4vs4, and the defender side have NPC's and attackers side not. Than the attackers are really underneath.

I want NPC's in a little more advanced way...
    You can hire NPC's and you can give them a role and a Task. Soldier-Melee/ Soldier-Archer / Farmer / Trader / Craftsman. You have to pay them, supply them with food, give them a Bed as Respawn point and maybe equip them. Yes, Auto-respawn should be a World Option ( Disabled - 24h - 10min e.g.), after respawn they do there last Task again, automatically. You can order your soldiers to follow you, to attack a Claim / Enemy, defend a Point/ Structure or walk waypoints and attack enemys if they are closer then 50 m etc. I know this would change the Gameplay, but this brings many Engineering Tasks or a reason to Build a bigger Village&Castle and Traps etc.
    I don't expect that the NPC's must be really intelligent, this is not required. But, I see the biggest problem in Pathfinding or if the enemy comes at night with a siege weapon , when you are offline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Scorpion00021

It can get fairly complex when you start getting into assignable roles. I did do some pondering on attacking a base with lots of NPCs guarding and I think the easiest way to fix the problem of needing your own potential army is to be able to ask a guard to follow you. The way I would work that mechanic is that you can grab up to X number of guards (server configurable) from their post to follow you. This will leave the post unguarded until the guard respawns because of his death , or until you tell him to return to post. This way you are still being taxed for the army. Also, taxes will consider the LARGEST NUMBER of posts that existed during the taxation period and the removal of any post will cause the guard to disband/despawn after 5 minutes or so. Forcing the guard to disband would prevent players from building/destroying posts temporarily just to get guards and avoid taxation. The 5 minute wait keeps enemies from being able to snipe guard posts without NPC retaliation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Cleardragonf

YES! This is awesome! Now, quick question? How is the Taxes going to be implemented? Will that include an Economy? and Shop System? or just Tax's?

28. Frostik

I think it will be like a Reactor in SE, where you put some stuff in to increase the claim duration. ("Additionally, there will be sufficient buffer for taxes so that you can go on at least some sort of a vacation").

29. Scorpion00021

I think it would be immensely cool if there was some way to trade resources for gold, but I have no idea how a system like that could be implemented.

30. SaturaxCZ

It was commont tactic dig tunnels under enemy walls and walls did fall down. Making hole in walls for invaders to get in. Thats why they did use water around castle for defence ( so no one dig tunnels ) + bury barels with water near walls ( so you did see water was making waves if some one did dig tunnel ). But moust of time attacker did just wait (+ poison well if possible ) to let people inside castle starve or die from dehydration. Castle supplys was limited and defenders did moust of time wait for alies to came from outside and help them, then realy fight to death on walls. ( All depen on castle location: what siege weapons or tactic to get inside castle you can use ) + some castle sieges did take over 5 years so they had a lot of time dig tunnels. ( normaly it was 1-2 years )

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1