Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Medieval Engineers: Developer Diaries - Episode 9

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Drui Keen Update Guy Developer

Summary
    Greetings, Engineers! The 9th episode in our series of developer diaries has been released. Today we introduce you to Greg, our programmer who worked on the revised building for Medieval Engineers.
    Revised building is the unification of building between Medieval Engineers and Space Engineers. This is to allow the use of planets in Medieval Engineers. We needed to do this because the old building system was locked to a fixed grid. This grid was no longer useful because of the curvature of the planet, meaning that buildings needed to rotate to align with the planet's surface. The additional benefit is that it enables players to build freely, aligning castles with the natural features of the world.

Planetary building
    There are now 3 ways of building, they are similar to the old system but have some exceptions.
    - The first is the possibility to aim and place a block in the same way as in old Dynamic Mode, but now the player doesn't have to switch to it. If a large block is touching a voxel (ex. ground), it will create a local coordinate system aligning with the placed block.
    - Secondly, when you are targeting the ground close enough to your position, it will start snapping your block to the closest building's coordinate system.
    - Finally, the 3rd way of building is simply snapping to existing grids, this is basically not changed.
    Small grids can be placed with any transformation in dynamic mode without switching between modes.

What does this mean for performance?

You will no longer need to create dynamic grids just to orient your buildings slightly differently. By making them static, the performance will be significantly less impacted.

Modding & Scenarios
    Modders will be able to define how people can place their blocks, they will be able to define if a block can only be placed in the ground, only be placed in air (dynamic mode), only be placed on top of another block, or any combination there-of.
    Scenario and world designers can now create their scenarios more easily. You can copy-paste your new blueprints in any orientation into the ground, this will allow you to create more interesting looking environments.

• Like Like x 8
  2. RayvenQ Moderator Moderator

3. Scorpion00021

This is very cool and a welcomed change!
    One question: Will there be a way to intersect grids that have different alignments? I understand the potential problems with doing this, but Greg mentioned making a "Round" wall around a castle. Unless the blocks intersected in some way, there would be a small gap between each grid that would potentially allow players to get through.

Great video guys, I look for ward to the future of the game :)

4. Regnilse

Will this grid change be applied to the old style flat maps? That would be a really nice thing.

5. Deepflame ME Director Developer

As it stands right now, this is not possible. You can kind of fake it a little, but it's not something we can solve at the moment. Maybe in the future. :)

I made a quick test, the gaps are definitely not large enough to allow players to pass through.

--- Automerge ---
    Yes, it applies to the legacy maps as well. Though keep in mind we will start phasing those out in the future.
    We will support them for the next release so that you can transfer your blueprints over etc, but we will eventually drop support for the legacy maps in the far future.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scorpion00021

Thanks for the reply Deepflame. I can't wait to see some of the new Medieval Engineers work start to go public!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Speshal_Snowman

Great Work!!!!! It looks amazing!

8. Regnilse

Oh no! flat maps are going away, that's awful. They are so nice for scenarios, castle sieges, testing and custom maps, anything that doesn't need a whole planet.

It seems a large waist to make a whole planet for a custom map that only needs a few hundred meters of space.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. kitsunelegendXx

Yep, gonna have to agree on this. I'd say, keep the flat maps in the game for people who want to build scenarios like mazes and and simple castle battles. Things that don't need an entire planet to work.

10. Cetric

I was hoping the many works done so far, including my own, on legacy maps could be somehow imported into the new planetary format. No estimation seems possible for how much time by the community is going to be in vain, in bascially all creations to this point. So, if import is not possible, there should remain a niche for existing square maps.
    And import sounds like too big a task for the modders. If not, I'd like to encourage them working something out about that.

11. Hakon102

It's EA Game, Community things get broken during the development process, that's usual. do not despair. For me and many other players planets are very welcome. Support two different Map-Systems is very inefficient and slow down the development process. They have limited resources.

You can still make Szenarios in Future and Blueprints from old Maps can be saved.

I think, all in all this was the right decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AedanXaelan

Exactly this. "It's early access" is often used and I know people get annoyed by it, but that doesn't mean it's any less viable an answer. If you build things in an early access game, you automatically agree to the possibility of your creation changing. In most other EA games, or even just games with beta access, most often all progress gets deleted or reset before final launch, the only difference here is that our files are saved locally.

I really hope Keen sticks to their vision of the game this time instead of giving us countless (and needless, in my opinion) options to support legacy builds like in SE.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  13. Cetric

Then I will probably copy all Steam installation of ME on a second harddrive so I can still work on my world when starting from there with Steam offline and disconnected, so no update ruins that legacy map installation.
    --
    Maybe an idea for anyone else who also wants to keep his creations intact thereafter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AedanXaelan

Legitimate question: why?

They already said they'll leave support for the old maps in for awhile so you can transfer builds over. Why would you lock yourself out of updates to play an old, broken game instead of openly welcoming forward progression.

15. Cetric

My project is rather extended in invested time and efforts, furthermore tedious to reproduce under the new planetary parameters. I don't have blueprints, it was all intuitively built. I'd hate to give it up.
    --
    Meanwhile, I did not say I lock myself off from progress. Sure, on the main steam installation I will have the planetary system like anyone else and play with it. Probably will like it as well.
    But giving up Cornuscopia is out of question. You know how that is: like raising a child or restauring an old car in countless hours over week-ends. You don't dump it because some guy comes with a new sort of painting , but incompatible to your model...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hakon102

It's ok, i understand your position. Maybe you find a way to copy your World and transfer it, in the new World.

17. Stori3D Past Productions

Ha! I just got back from a few days away with family, so I'm catching up. Yes, placing blocks at any desired height & angle just makes good sense. So I'm thrilled for that! I had figured out how to hack the code to "lock in" all my Vindolanda buildings at different angles & heights. But it will be so much easier to do this just within the game.

I also agree that I hope there's a way to keep flat "legacy" worlds in the game. There's an awful lot of talent that's gone into a lot of builds in ME's workshop. They should always be available for inspiration. I hope there's a way to make a free copy of legacy flat-world ME code available for folks.
    --- Automerge ---
    If you see all the funky-angled buildings in the town outside the fort walls, they're all locked into place. I did that by hacking the .SBS file. Took a long time! But it's a glimpse into what this new system will let us do intuitively now.

(Also, huge props to Steam user Ratatosk who has been working on those gray stone roof tiles, which add a ton of realism to my build.)

18. Mr Engineer

Now both SE and ME had overhauls of the building systems. Sounds simple enough, nice work Keen.