Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Merge Block Auto Convert to Ship

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by teaseal, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. teaseal Trainee Engineer

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to build a massive airtight hangar door. Basically, the rotors move a large door in position, merge blocks connect it as part of the same grid, and then airtight hangar door blocks make the final seal. Something very similar to the video below:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806098202

It seems to work fine in that workshop save linked above, but for some reason when I attempt this, the door grid never converts to a ship when the merge blocks are powered off, and thus never moves. I feel like I am missing some understanding with how the game determines what grid is a ship and what grid is a station when the merges disconnect.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? I've already checked the save and made sure Unsupported Stations was disabled.

2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Generally, biggest grid wins. Sometimes it's which grid initiates the merge. If the largest grid is a station, then the grid you merge to it will become a station. I believe the doors in the video remain separate grids at all times.

You are aware that making massive hangar doors using rotors and/or pistons is when they coined the phrase "clang"?

3. teaseal Trainee Engineer

After doing some testing, I think I figured it out. I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended, but it looks like the behavior functions like this:

Grid A: You build a block on a voxel. The block is automatically set as a station.
    Grid B: You build a block in space. The block is automatically set as a ship.
    Grid C: A large ship that was built.

Scenario 1: You attach a merge block to Grid A station. Grid C also has a merge block. You attach and then disable the merge blocks. Grid C successfully converts back into a ship.
    Scenario 2: You convert Grid B into a station and attach a merge block. Grid C also has a merge block. You attach and then disable the merge blocks. Grid C does not convert back into a ship and stays a station.

So, my hypothesis is that the grid retains some information regarding how it was created. Since Grid B was converted into a station, it then passes that information on to Grid C when they are joined. So, basically the only way this will work currently is for the Station grid to have been created attached to a voxel. I'll post this in the bug report forum just in case.

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hey, I did it successfully until it 'sploded. Then not so much.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.