1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Mod to get rid of unwanted items, ie: trash bin?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Celthon, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Celthon

Celthon Trainee Engineer

Is there a Mod. already available that would let a character place unwanted items into a trash pit, or even a trash/garbage barrel to be deleted, either right away or after a small period of time?

If not, could I ask that something like this be created? For immersion I'm picturing a three-sided wooden structure (something like a very large crate with no top or bottom, and only three sides) with a graphic depicting it being partially filled with trash/debris and little over-flow through open third side. Player accesses the block's inventory and places unwanted items into it and they deteriorate right away, or after a small amount of time. The trash pit could be placed on the ground to give the look of being the site where the in-game characters dispose of the village's trash/garbage, and serve the purpose of letting a player get rid of unwanted items from inventory...currently I do not know how to get rid of the dirt I get while mining clay and ores in Survival Mode (only Mode I have played the game in).

Thank you for your time and assistance.

2. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

You should be able to dump out unwanted items from your inventory and after so many items have been dropped they will start to disappear without having a mod.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Celthon

Celthon Trainee Engineer

I found that I'd turned off the setting which causes items dropped on the ground to decay...probably one of those "I wonder what this button does...?" moments and it's been off for the past year or so and I didn't realize what I'd done. :(

In regards to the Mod. request I'll leave it as it might be good for immersion and role-playing...I found an image that shows what I was trying to describe in the first post (not sure if I am breaking any rule by posting an image from another game -- this is from Wurm Online):
    https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Trash_heap

[​IMG]

I'd think the trash pit for Medieval Engineers would need to look a bit more rustic, as in my opinion the planks in the image above look too 'clean', but opinions vary.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mojomann71

Yeah, it would add aesthetics to it. :)

5. gesp_shad

gesp_shad Apprentice Engineer

That depends - cube blocks, like timbers, planks etc. don't just despawn after a certain threshold was reached. They stay in the world until someone (the host / server admins or mderators) do a manual cleanup or the "abandoned grid decay timer" takes care of it, which depends on the world/server settings and is really not what you want in this case.

Other (environmental) entities, like logs, dirt bags, stones etc. on the other hand, follow above mentioned threshhold - but again, that's a matter of the world/server setting and comes with certain side effects.
    Furthermore, if you go mining clay and your inventory slots become full, you will always drop bags of dirt with 1x dirt in it, rather than a full stack, meaning with every swing of your tool, a new dirt bag will spawn and piles up around you.

I think an interactable trash bin would be a good idea for people who like to get rid of unnecessary crap. I personally would probably not use it much, since I try to play as economical and with as less resource waste as possible.
    Though, making this trash bin would probably require a tiny amount of scripting, which is out of my hands, but I would like to see it utilizing Equinox's Stockpile Inventory Physics component.

6. mojomann71

I thought max objects took care of it. I haven't played ME near as much as SE so figured was similar.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.