Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Mod] XL Industrial

Discussion in 'Released and WIP Mods' started by Tohron, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tohron Trainee Engineer

This mod was created to assist with the collection, processing, and use of large amounts of ore. When you're mining out asteroids, you end up needing dozens of assemblers, hundreds of refineries, and over a thousand solar panels to process things in a reasonable time. This can be rather system-intensive, to say the least. This mod is designed to reduce the number of active components in a heavy industrial operation, and make things easier to manage. So, with that said, here's a summary of the blocks:

XL Assembler (2x5x2): This assembler has 10 times the speed and power use of a standard assembler, and 20 times the inventory.
    XL Refinery (4x4x9): This refinery has 10 times the speed, power use, and inventory of a standard refinery, and has the Blast Furnace's efficiency.
    Pulverizer: (2x2x4): This specialized refinery breaks stone into gravel very quickly.
    XL Blast Furnace (2x2x5): This blast furnace has 10 times the speed and power use of a standard blast furnace.
    Area Welder (1x2x1): This welder welds an area 8 blocks in front of it, and 4 blocks to each side.
    Reinforced Drill (1x3x1): This drill is more resistant to collisions.
    Dense Large Cargo Container (3x3x3): This cargo container has the cargo density of the Medium (Small Ship) cargo container.
    Dense XL Cargo Container (5x5x5): This cargo container has the cargo density of the Medium (Small Ship) cargo container.
    XL Solar Panel (6x12x1): This solar panel produces 1.1 MW of power (slightly more than 9 solar panels).
    XXL Solar Panel (10x20x1): This solar panel produces 3.2 MW of power (slightly more than 25 solar panels).

The workshop link is here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=383448637

So, let's now take a closer look at each block:

XL Assembler:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 2x5x2
    Power Use: 5.6 MW
    Inventory: (20,000 Input) (20,000 Output)
    Assembly Speed: 10X

The XL Assembler greatly improves large scale construction projects. Rather than having to place some of each ore in every normal assembler with their limited inventory, you can now just fill a couple of these and let each get started on a large production queue.

XL Refinery:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 4x4x9
    Power Use: 5.6 MW
    Inventory: (40,000 Input) (40,000 Output)
    Refine Speed: 10X (relative to basic refinery)

The XL Refinery makes processing large mining projects much easier. What once required over a hundred refineries to process in a reasonable time only requires a dozen. Inventory management is likewise simplified. Also, the XL refinery has the same efficiency as a blast furnace, so you need not worry about wasting common metals when it is refining them.

Pulverizer:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 2x2x4
    Power Use: 830 kW
    Inventory: (4,000 Input) (4,000 Output)
    Refine Speed: 15.4X (relative to basic refinery)

The pulverizer only refines stone, but it does so very quickly. Very helpful if stone from your mining projects is clogging up your refineries.

XL Blast Furnace:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 2x2x5
    Power Use: 3.3 MW
    Inventory: (4,000 Input) (4,000 Output)
    Refine Speed: 12.3X (relative to basic refinery)

The XL Blast Furnace further accelerates the refining of common metals. The refining of large amounts of common metals now requires one tenth the amount of separate blocks.

Area Welder:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Size: 1x2x1
    Power Use: (normal, will be increased when possible)

The Area Welder can weld all blocks up to 8 blocks ahead of it, and 4 blocks to either side. This makes it ideal for ship factories (you have to use all those components you're making somewhere). In the future, I intend to increase its power use substantially to balance its range, but right now, that is not possible.

Reinforced Drill:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 1x3x1

The Reinforced Drill is more resistant to physics damage than the regular drill, and is slightly more expensive as a result. This drill is meant to be used on very large mining ships, where the large mass of the ship increases the risk of collision damage.

Dense Large Cargo Container:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 3x3x3
    Inventory: 1,000,000

The Dense Large Cargo Container has the same inventory density as the Medium Cargo Container on small ships. It is also several times as expensive as the regular Large Cargo Container. Acts as a good storage space for large ships.

Dense XL Cargo Container:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 3x3x3
    Inventory: 4,657,463

The Dense XL Cargo Container has the same inventory density as the Medium Cargo Container on small ships. It is very expensive, but it acts as an excellent storage space to assist in large processing and construction operations.

XL Solar Panel:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 6x12x1
    Power Generation: 1.1 MW max

The XL Solar Panel takes up as much space as 9 solar panels, and generates slightly more power. Using it reduces the number of separate elements to manage for medium-sized mining operations.

XXL Solar Panel:
    [​IMG]
    Size: 10x20x1
    Power Generation: 3.2 MW max

The XXL solar panel takes up as much space as 25 solar panels, and generates slightly more power. Using it considerably reduces the number of separate power sources for large stations, significantly improving performance.

So those are the parts I have right now. A few things that I have planned:

XL Battery Block: A 3x3x3 battery with much higher storage capacity than the current battery.

Cement component and Concrete (Armor) Blocks: Provides something to do with all the gravel you will have lying around.

Ranged Grinder: Can grind everything in a line 4 blocks ahead. Makes salvaging derelict ships easier.

If you have any other ideas, feel free to post them in the comments!

Also, here's the workshop link again: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=383448637

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Tohron Trainee Engineer

Finally found a solution to the default production block models disappearing, so if anyone was holding off on this mod because of that, now it's fixed!

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Do your large production modules scale with server/game settings? ie if I have refinery on x3, will the XL refinery and blast furnace be 3x their default values?

4. Tohron Trainee Engineer

That is how it works. All the refineries have a refinery speed variable, and the assemblers have an assembly speed variable - and those variables then get multiplied by the world settings.

5. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Great, I'll give this a go tonight then :)

6. atomontage Trainee Engineer

Thanks for a great mod.

A sorta bug report here. The Area Welder doesn't build from projections. Sometimes it does, but most of the time it doesn't. Turning off the projector and area welders in any order doesn't help.

ps: I didnt test if it builds another grid's projections

7. Kamikazie Trainee Engineer

This is a great mod, HOWEVER. We just removed it from our server. We would load it up on dedicated and have 1 UPS serverside and cause all cients to lose .5 or more simspeed. We had to remove it. Sorry. I hope it gets fixed.

8. Odys Trainee Engineer

Has the lag issues been resolved with this mod?

Or is this mod best for SINGLEPLAYER and Steam Friends Multiplayer servers only?

9. Braxbro Junior Engineer

An XL landing gear. And a L, XL and XXL drill set.

10. Souper07 Apprentice Engineer

Is it safe to assume the cost of components is also 10x? Are there blueprints in the assembler menu to build these?

11. SquallTemnov Trainee Engineer

Mind if I ask you, if this mod is discontinued or still in development? I mean, should we wait for inclusion of upgrade module`s connectors on your XL-Industrial components? I like this mod, it was the core of my deep space exploration vessel. But right now vanila`s refinery with upgrade for 500% productivity provide quite good competition for your XL refinery, while occupying roughly half of the volume. Assembler is another matter, since it have very few upgrade connectors and I want to keep number of components at minimum.

12. Eddek Trainee Engineer

A bit of archeology, but is there any hope for DX11 version of this mod?

13. ViroMan Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

yes DX 11, please... Being just Dx11 compatible without the better GFX for it... doesn't do it for me so much. I do use the mod but, I always try to hide the stuff because its... kinda not as beautiful as it could be.

14. joemorin73 Junior Engineer

DX11 versions of this mod has been made by others.

15. ViroMan Senior Engineer

ya? Please do link. I can't seem to find it.

If your talking about THIS then its not completely DX11 if all you do is port the gfx without updating them.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.