Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Motor makes my Ship spinning around

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by MrDewlin, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MrDewlin Trainee Engineer

Hey guys.
    I dont know if its normal, but if i attach and motor to my ships and turn them on, the other part of the ship starts spinning in the opposite direction. Even Gyroskopse and thrusters dont work. How do i make spinning parts on my ship like in the devs video ?

2. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

i'm going to assume you place the motor backwards, and i'll need a picture to confirm you didn't.

3. MrDewlin Trainee Engineer

There is no way for me to put the motor otherwards. but heres a example pic:
    [​IMG]" class="bbc_img">

4. kaweeku Trainee Engineer

i don't know for sure, but i've face the same problem.
    i think it has something to do with the mass of the ship
    if the part of the ship that attached to the end of the motor has a comparable mass to the part of the ship that attached to the other end of the motor
    [ read this slowly, i apologize in advance for my broken English ]
    The motor might rotate both parts of the ship
    So, you might want to add some more mass onto the non-rotating end of the ship

5. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

I've only seen this happen on small ships.
    One possible solution is setting up a counter. A motor that will spin in the opposite direction, thus neutralizing the original spin. However, that really screws up controls, if you're trying to fly with the motors on.

6. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Happens for both large and small ships. Depends on the mass of each segment, and number of (powered) gyroscopes on each segment. Also the speed of the rotation.

If you set up a ship with no gyroscopes, with each segment equal in weight, they will begin to spin opposite each other at an identical speed. Double the weight/size of one segment, and it should spin at roughly half the speed of the other part.

If you have a normal moderately sized large ship, and attach a fairly small rotating object with no gyroscopes, like a fake decorative radar panel for example, it probably won't spin your ship at all. It WILL try to rotate it, in a mass proportionate amount, but the gyroscopes in the main ship body fight the rotation and keep the ship steady.

If you take that same spinning panel, add some weight and cover it with gyroscopes, that spinning section is now trying to lock itself in place in space, which means the other part is going to be receiving more force. You'll probably find the main ship body starts to spin slowly. It's gyroscopes are still fighting the rotation, but aren't enough any more.

I built a very simple "large" ship to test out a large turret design. I found exactly this happened if I set the turret to rotate constantly, since the turret body was nearly as heavy as the simple test ship I put it on, and it contained a few gyroscopes to allow it to aim manually. When I built the same turret on a much bigger ship, the bigger ship was never effected no matter what I did with the turret.

So for bits that you want to rotate without effecting the main ship body, try to...
    -Keep them light compared the the main ship.
    -Don't attach gyros unless you need to. Only put them on segments you want to control from, or to stay locked in place whilst not being flown.
    -Make sure the main body has enough mass and gyros of it's own to counter the returned forces.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.