Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Multiplayer Dogfight

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Bluedrake42, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bluedrake42 Trainee Engineer

http://youtu.be/5eovk1tNvhg

2. Gentry Senior Engineer

Looks awesome.

I can't wait for things to improve for everyone.

3. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

Looks like a lot of fun, can't wait to try it. Just hope the cockpit doesn't get owned in just one hit though.

4. deedlede Trainee Engineer

Hey, Awesome video! I was in your stream earlier (before it crashed). I kept trying to tell you in chat that I had your little ship in my clipboard, but you didn't see :D! Just thought I'd tell you I had your ship the whole time.

5. DutchVictim Apprentice Engineer

unfortunately, they do. Even a small burst of smg fire can destroy your fragile cockpit. I hope they either strengthen the cockpit or reduce smg damage.

6. Shiliski Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for this upload. Looks like awesome fun.

I can't help but notice how half the fight is just finding where your tiny opponent is, though. If turrets are really automated and can just auto-find and aim at fighters, then that's a huge advantage.

7. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

But that would be the worst addition ever.

Spending 3 days building your ship, testing, optimizing, tweaking...

...only to be destroyed by a single turret that someone spent 2 seconds opening the inventory window and plopping it all along the sides of his ship and covering it in "wall-o-guns" setup.

Hiding in debris or on the hidden side of an asteroid has always been part of tactics in countless sci-fi stories. Removing that because we're too impatient and can't be bothered actually finding the enemy and would rather be spoon-fed enemy locations would be a massive detriment to the game.

8. Seanoog Trainee Engineer

Awesome video, thanks for sharing. :)

I agree with Leon026 in what your saying regarding balancing of the combat, but that is a decision, surely for the Developers to make.
    It was one of the reason's, why I loved BattleStar Galactica (Modern Remake.)

9. Thalion Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, the cockpit is far too easily shot out at the moment. But it still IS fun ^^

I do believe we'll get a system (radar, map, or something else) where it would be much easier to detect another ship. But this hide and seek gameplay has its charms too. Obviously showing the advantage of stealth / low profile / small fighter because they're really hard to spot.

10. anybodysguess Apprentice Engineer

A fix for now, armor over the cockpit, and control from third person.

11. crazyrobban Apprentice Engineer

God I love this game.
    That video made me all giggly...
    Work sucks, I want to go home! :p

12. Thalion Apprentice Engineer

This is quite a practical workaround but not one i'll ever use. ^^

13. Diewoe Apprentice Engineer

Missiles fights from long range makes the fighting last a lot longer and a lot more fun :p

14. anybodysguess Apprentice Engineer

A Friend and I were dog fighting together, and the performance with only two people isn't that bad.
    Since weapons are over powered right now we were doing only one Gatling gun and no missile launcher.

Makes it fun and lasts longer.

15. XPMatt Trainee Engineer

I don't understand why people are complaining about the cockpit. It's a cockpit. It's made of glass and electronics. Bullets go through glass and electronics.

Protect it better and you won't have a problem.
    Kill the other guy first and you won't have a problem.
    Outrun the other guy and you won't have a problem.

Engineering is about solving problems. This game is about engineering. Don't complain because things aren't handed to you on a silver platter.

16. SovereignVis Trainee Engineer

Awesome! I would like to see more dogfights. Time to start making dogfighting arena maps now. Need an asteroid field map, a ship grave yard with a lot of dead ship scattered all over, a city sized station maybe even one that is a city, and maybe one that is in side of a really big station. :)

17. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Simply because it's not very good for gameplay. You can't have fun situations where you're struggling on with half your engines and weapons gone, if every fight ends with an instant cockpit pop.

Kill the other guy first and he has the problem.
    Outrun the other guy and he has the problem.
    Saying "as long as one person wins everyone will be happy" is kinda nuts and doesn't fix anything.

And the problem even there, is that currently the only effective "engineering" solution, is a four block thick wad of solid armour completely obscuring your cockpit, and use third person view. In a dogfight challenge set of videos that LSG, Sage, and LGC did, the Sage guy had a very nicely armoured cockpit, with a three block deep shield that had only a two block narrow slit in it. He got taken out by a strafing spray, with the shield barely scratched at all, and a stray bullet or two simply going down the middle.

Wrapping every ship in a cube of solid armour isn't creative, nor engineering. The cockpit doesn't need to be invincible. Just tough enough that it's not taken out by the 5% of enemy fire that slips past, and that a little bit of a concious effort to focus on it is required from the enemy.

18. Gentry Senior Engineer

I agree with squid here.

The cockpit being nuked with a single bullet is certainly an oversight.

19. Kirakira Trainee Engineer

What would be awesome is if the cockpit's damage threshold were about 3x as good as it is now, but adds a visual indicator of damage such as blast marks and cracking on the window that would tell you 'it's time to make a hasty retreat now.' It would also affect your visibility somewhat.

They will probably fix cockpits later on when the engineer can be killed (I don't think he'll survive a shot from a high-calibre gatling) and rather than delete the cockpit and throw the engineer into space, the cockpit could survive with broken glass - it's empty, and if you steal or salvage the ship while the glass is broken, it's technically back to being one-shotted because the pilot is open to the elements.

20. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

I have one suggestion/solution for fragile cockpits; armored cockpits. They are designed for battle, unlike the utility cockpits that we have now. They could have metal slits on the windows so the player knows that they are flying fully armored craft, not some light, unarmored miner with exposed systems. Of course they would be heavier and more expensive than normal ones too.

Also it would be excellent if we get 2*x*x or 4*x*x if we want even designs symmetry-wise, but it might been already suggested.

21. bacondeity Apprentice Engineer

As much as we all hate battle cubes, in Michio Kaku's words, battle cubes are technically the best vehicles to be used in space combat. Since you're in space, you ignore aerodynamics and it's the most efficient shape for usage of its surface area and interior.
    But I will never build one. Ever.

22. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

I tend to agree with you guys, but on this matter: You clearly can't design ships ;)

Have a few more fights and open your mind, why must the cockpit be outside?

23. KriegsMeister Apprentice Engineer

the problem with cubes is that they are only good in all directions, they are not great at anything. They excel if you are going to throw them smack dab in the middle of the enemy fleet, but if you engage from a further distance all that extra armor and weaponry on your flanks will be just an extra burden. If you move most of it to just one side of your ship and then make sure you keep that side pointing at the enemy at all times and you will be much much more efficient in combat.

Just think about Tank design, the armor on the front of a tank is usually much thicker than the sides and rear. This is because the front is supposed to be more or less pointing in the direction of the primary conflict, you then protect your flanks with either other tanks (i.e. other ships), hard cover such as a big rock or house(asteroids), or with some infantry (small fighters and other strikecraft)

24. tcezar Trainee Engineer

I tend to agree with you man, but for now, all blocks looks like bubbles ready to pop

I've done some tests with friends, 3 layers of armor are nothing

a single wave of bullets can destroy the cockpit or any other important component

In this alpha stage, the best defense it's speed and mobility,
    big thrusters for the win

25. paswert Junior Engineer

So you can see out of it, it's easier to target in 1st person than in 3rd person.

26. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

Oh yeah, you can't stand there and take a beating. The hull still has very low resistance and ammo is unlimited, so it's like 2 bees in a spiral staring-contest till 1 gets lucky.

I kinda like the weakness of the cockpit, it allows for critical shots and 3rd-warrior sniping. Hopefully when hull can be made tougher it'll be less noticeable.

For now, make a naboo fighter :D

27. Dragongaze13 Trainee Engineer

Cool video!

Yes but it should be unlockable technologies. ^^

28. Gheiter Apprentice Engineer

Nice video. You should indeed do one with more people.

I was going to suggest this as well.
    The cockpits are made of bulletproof glass. By 2077, that technology should have improved a lot. Certainly enough to take a few more chaingun hits.

Besides, having cracks in the glass after being shot, and perhaps even air hissing out, would make it all that much more epic.

Also, completely covering the cockpit isn't really a good solution. Well, at least it shouldn't be. How would one be able to get inside it, especially as the glass cover should come up, or slide aside while you're doing that. Right now you just teleport into the cockpit. (I don't really mind this, but it's kinda dumb)

Besides, it's not exactly realistic to have 0 visibility from the cockpit. I for one prefer to always play in 1st person, just because it feels more immersive.

29. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

If you we to talk realism....

Technically we are firing 25mm miniguns...

30. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

I'm starting to agree with the under-armoured argument, but only because:

I definitely want to see a crack or bullet-impact before it's destroyed, ruining your visibility but giving a clear message that you got hit :D

The whole subject or air boggles me though. I see good reasons why our fellows will never remove their spacesuits, and why it should stay that way.
    So maybe a little graphical Air, suspending your suit's O2 usage while in the air would be nice. Even decompression could be cool, but that's a dark avenue to go down and would make combat on big ships a bit aggravating.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.