Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Multiplayer improvements and beta branch

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Bobylein, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

So as I get it keen updated the netcode with this update and also kept the old one in a beta branch?

Could anyone of you experience a better or worse multiplayer performance so far? Noticed any changes at all? I am really curious about this!

2. denoflions Trainee Engineer

Multiplayer seems mostly broken with the 'improvements'. If someone who isn't the host enters a cockpit the game thinks they entered it, but their character stays outside and can move around. They can't interact with anything until the host comes along and grinds the cockpit down so their ghostly-self exits the cockpit. Also asteroids seem outrageously glitchy now if you're not the host, like sometimes they are completely invisible.

FPS wise it seems better. Sim speed still grinds to a halt when someone uses a mining drill though.

3. Amberyl Trainee Engineer

Client save is gone

4. rexxar Senior Engineer

The only improvement I've seen is that the dedicated server appears to be using more than one processor core. On the other hand, my processor is now railed where before it hung around 80% on one core. Simspeed is way down, too.

5. orca89 Trainee Engineer

simspeed increased for me, i even can play DX11 on my 5790 now...
    server uses 3 cores here, but the total useage of the cpu has gone up... even when no one is in the server

6. AustinCZ Trainee Engineer

7. yokse Trainee Engineer

the performance still bad, througt walls in a ship in movement, need time to appear menu when press "k"; conectors, merge blocks, and landing gears broke to easy.. ect..

8. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

Same here. Also drills are frustratingly broken. It doesn't matter if you have 4 drills or 14 it crushes the SIM speed. I'm not sure why they aren't making this a priority to fix. They spent months the last time just improving drilling performance marginally. Also if you use shift f10 you will see they added a server SIM spped stay as well as a client SIM speed stat. I noticed the biggest hit seems to be with the client however there is a slight hit to the server's SIM speed.

9. ashein Apprentice Engineer

For me the DS freezes every hour or so now without any hint of what went wrong. SESE's Essentials just detects a minute of freeze and restarts the instance. No errors in the instance log, SESE main log, plugin log or any other log I can find. I wonder if it is related to DS, SESE or the server config, but with the other critical bugs of 01.105 like infinite-stuck in cryopods and merry roids (multi-LOD on DX9 and disappearing chunks/whole roids in DX11) I just don't feel like going deep with hours of A/B testing.

At least with the new netcode the mined boulders don't rubberband all over the place.

10. JamesK89 Trainee Engineer

My guess is that if this is the new netcode update then what is happening is the server is now authoritative so it has to process everything happening in the world as opposed to the more distributed P2P model but as we all know the old multiplayer was super buggy with synchronization problems because of this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Malexion Trainee Engineer

Looks like netcode changes just stirred up all the work around issues that had existed previously, will probably take them awhile to sift through them.

It'll even out over time and be a net improvement.

12. denoflions Trainee Engineer

106 seems to have changed something with ship grinders. They perform far better in multiplayer than previous versions. No more ridiculously large sim speed drain when someone is grinding a ship down.

13. rexxar Senior Engineer

Welders, too. Which is great because some of the guys I play with have a tendency to leave the huge shipyard welders on and fly away.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.