Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Multiplayer vs singleplayer structures

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Simonides, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Simonides Trainee Engineer

Hi,
    I've been wondering what could be the difference between those two types. When I build something i.e. simple lift or car on singleplayer it is ok. The same structure on multiplayer server often goes live, moves by itself or vibrates. Adding one piece to it can cause it to jump into the air and/or kill few people. The server is not crowded or littered, 4 people online max, everyone has his own town/castle, ping seems ok (around 70ms), CPU usage less than 10%, RAM usage around 2-3GB...

2. CptTwinkie Moderator

The short answer: Multiplayer is complicated. Thinks have to be synchronized between the server and clients. When they don't match the clients have to change (authoritative server). The processes for doing this are incredibly complex. What you are seeing as movement and things jumping into the air is corrections and errors caused by corrections. One of the hardest things is that objects are updated one at a time. This is usually fine but when the objects are touching, when one moves but not the other they tend to collide. Since objects are not being "pushed" but simply "moved" they collide with infinite force.

Here is the slightest taste of what we have to look at all the time with multiplayer physics https://answers.unity.com/questions/417478/best-way-to-make-a-multiplayer-physics-heavy-game.html This is simply a question of how to synchronize a lot of objects without saturating bandwidth. The complexity goes up very rapidly in all scenarios.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.