Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Mysterious craters on Mars

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by pontfogel, Jan 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. pontfogel Trainee Engineer

Hello!

I'm playing a survival game on Mars. Twice (once after exploring the planet and once after exploring in space) I have returned to my base only to find it full of huge craters. Whetever caused the craters have destroyed both the surface of the planet and parts of my structures. The landing/construction platfrom the flying ship is hovering above used to be connected to the ground before this happened. Environment Hostility is set to Safe. Is this a common problem and, if so, is there any way to prevent this from happening?

In the attached pictures most of the craters near my base weren't there when I left. Also some of the more distant craters are new as several of my vehicles are now hovering in the air (the ship above the landing pad is obviously supposed to be hovering).

Mods used:
    Active Radar Update
    Nanobot Repair
    Midspace's Clean Crosshair Camera

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Malware Master Engineer

This looks like the good old voxel LOD bug. It wouldn't have destroyed your builds, because it only affects the visuals of the planet, and nothing else. Something else must have damaged your constructs. This is also why your stuff appears to be hovering. They're not. That's where the physical voxels are.

They're aware of this issue but it's apparently difficult to fix, which is why it's taken a lot of time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pontfogel Trainee Engineer

Thanks for your reply! I thought part of the landing pad was missing, but it is possible that I'm mistaken. I guess I'll have to dismantle the base and go mobile. :)

The amount of game breaking or almost game breaking bugs still present in this game after all these years is astounding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Malware Master Engineer

That's simply because the game isn't finished yet. Every single new thing is another potential cause for bugs. That's just the way it is. As long as the game is under development, there will be bugs, gamebreaking and not. Also "all these years"?... What is it now, 5 or 6 years or something? That's not all that much for a game of this complexity with a team as small as Keen. I mean, yeah, they're not perfect. But then again... who is?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pontfogel Trainee Engineer

I respectfully disagree. And I do think that 5-6 years is a pretty long time. But that's alright. We don't have to agree on this. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Malware Master Engineer

My personal experience in professional programming is fueling my confidence here :)

Less than 5-6 years would have left us with a much, much smaller game - and/or an even buggier one. Trust me on this. Show me a gold-released, non-buggy game of the same complexity that didn't take this amount of time and I will acquiesce ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. pontfogel Trainee Engineer

To close this topic it turns out that reloading the game fixed the problem. I feel like an idiot for not trying that before posting but I was so sure that the 'craters' were there that I didn't even consider it. Lesson learned. :)

8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

But you were so close in finding Clang's secret hiding place!! :)

Glad to hear is all cleared up for you now.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.