Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Need Help] Making an alternate version of an existing block, without replacing the original ingame.

Discussion in 'Questions and Suggestions' started by Neotician, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

Hello, so:
    I want to make a mod using an existing block.
    I made the mod containing the models from the game, and the cubeblock.xml from the game containing my modified parameters (as in, altered attributes and names)
    I've changed everything except:
    • Icon Path
    • Texture Path
    • Model patch (although it takes the models copies to the mod folder)
    • TypeId (I have changed subtypeid though)

When i load the mod, it replaces the existing blocks in the G menu, which is undesired since i want both to be usable.
    Does this make any sense? if yes, what am i doing wrong?

2. voicesdark Senior Engineer

Did you also remember to change the blockpairname?

3. entspeak Senior Engineer

Yep. BlockPairName is how the game differentiates between the small/large variants of blocks - allowing one item in the grid to show a different model depending on whether it's on a small or large grid. If, for example, you make a modded version of the small ship gyro and it has the same BlockPairName as the vanilla gyro, it will look to your modded block first and you will get the vanilla block on large ships and your modded block on small ships.

The upside of BlockPairName is that, if you make small and large variants of a modded block, you can give them a unique BlockPairName, they will then share one space in the grid and the model used will depend on the size of the grid it is being placed on.

4. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

That was it, thank you people :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.