Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New Content Vs Fixing the game

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Joshua Wood, Jun 10, 2017.

?

Updates vs Bug fixes

1. 0% updates 100% Bug Fixes

7.7%
  2. 10% updates 90% Bug Fixes

19.2%
  3. 20% updates 80% Bug Fixes

3.8%
  4. 30% updates 70% Bug Fixes

11.5%
  5. 40% updates 60% Bug Fixes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 50% updates 50% Bug Fixes

23.1%
  7. 60% updates 40% Bug Fixes

11.5%
  8. 70% updates 30% Bug Fixes

7.7%
  9. 80% updates 20% Bug Fixes

3.8%
  10. 90% updates 10% Bug Fixes

23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Joshua Wood Trainee Engineer

For me personally i get most my joy in this game from building cool stuff in survival with my friend.

Problem is we can't build anything cool. I would much prefer if the Devs spent their time doing literally nothing but bug fixes until the game is stable rather than adding new stuff or changing the looks of the game.

2. Malware Master Engineer

You're missing one. "Let the devs work how they think is best".
    --- Automerge ---
    Look, they do bug fixes every single week. However they're also trying to get the game to run faster. Optimization is difficult, and that causes new bugs.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Your options also assume that the same people work on new content as work on bugfixes.

In the days before early access .... you would never have seen the game until it was 'finished', and would not get added content or bugfixes, just the occasional 'patch' when the developers realised they really had to sort some post release issue.

Before the game finishes development, the dev team want to add more content and fix all the bugs they can. That's what I want too :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sarekh Senior Engineer

That's also not how game development works - at all. different departments / agile task forces will not either be working on bug fixes OR on new content. Bug fixing might be something that involves all departments, from art to game design to the devs but most of the time it's a thing between the devs and QA - in the meantime we will have artists and game designers with free time and this means they can prepare and work on balancing and designing new features that will be implemented once ready.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Game needs both, stability and new features. I haven't found Space Engineers to be to unstable, however I play SP something like 99% of my play time. Recent major update made game run smooth on my laptop and I'm really thankful for that, Sim speed keeps at 1.0 almost all the time. Now when it doesn't drop so often I can save time for game reloading :)... And don't have to do it to often. Since last major update game crushed only 3 times, only 1 time during actual game, other time during loading and final in main menu. So I, m pretty satisfied with KSH balance between stability/optimization/features,but this is my opinion, a guy who rather to play alone. MP is other thing and I can't say anything about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Logi Apprentice Engineer

No doubt SE needs a lot of fixing. But first, devs need to fix their way of fixing the game. Their focus has been almost 2 years in "bug fixing & improvements" and still the same bugs keep on coming back over and over again while they keep on messing around changing stuff that doesn't need changing, like windows.

The development of SE has stagnated very long in a point where nothing gets fixed properly and nothing new gets added. I hope they get their fixes together soon so there could still be time to add more content which the game needs much much more than perfectly working pistons or rotors. With working rotors and pistons you could build cool stuff in creative, which would be completely useless in survival, which is just slower creative in an empty sandbox. I hope their survival revamp is much more than just few new power blocks and a bit slower start.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Cetric Junior Engineer

The golden middle will do it.
    New content to add impulses and bugfixing for keeping the old audience from frustration and "rage-quitting".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sykel Trainee Engineer

I chose 30% updates and 70% bug fixes, because every time keen releases new features, there is a 70% chance of introducing new bugs. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Maybe this week they'll fix wheels or add something teased.
    if not...there's always next week.
    [​IMG]
    oh aye i'd love some nice functioning wheels.
    but there's times i have to stop myself and remind myself...its still in development and its their game not mine.
    I would lean strongly to the new features so then once they're comfortable with what they've added so far perhaps some attention can be focused on fixing things...instead of fixing things.....adding things....fixing things again....adding things...fixing things again again.
    EOF

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Malware Master Engineer

That's how it's supposed to be, but... Early Access means the public has access to the game... :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Yep, one of the pitfalls of releasing on Early Access... People buy in without a clue what Early Access really means, then scream and demand a fully playable game NOW, fix what I want NOW, add what I suggest NOW... It's a wonder the dev team isn't completely schizophrenic with all of the demands coming from all angles.

They're doing it the right way at this point, as far as I'm concerned. Got the vast majority of the features and components in place that are needed (even more than needed in some cases), and now a very long cycle of concentrating on smoothing and improving performance and gameplay. You can't properly fix a program if you keep adding new things that introduce new and unexpected bugs or behaviors.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

That's literally how software development works.

I'd like to see more detailed changelogs, a roadmap, maybe some official polls and so forth on what features to add. But it doesn't look to me like development has stagnated. The last major update was a significant performance improvement, which must have required significant refactoring.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

a roadmap for sure would be awesome so we can at least have some expectation as to what they're aiming for me.

we know from teasers wheels,hydrogen combustion something engine,windpower,parachutes since they were teased a bit back.
    but it'd be nice know roughly when something like this could be excited.

14. Malware Master Engineer

A bit difficult when they probably don't even know a "when" themselves... Closest thing I've heard is "months"

15. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I'm definitely glad I got to play. and I'm sure the people playing and reporting on the game helped keep them running. otherwise it probably would have been cancelled half finished by the small studio before they got to implementing the complex stuff.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

The way I consider it. Is that the load screen loads faster than a cheaper game Avorion which I play. That speaks volumes of how much back end work they have been doing for Optimization and Bug Fixes. Good Job Keen! You're making Early access look better.

If there's less bugs and problems with the game. Wouldn't it be easier to find future bugs and problems after new content is added?
    In layman's terms.

It's easier to find pool toys in a clean pool than it is to find toys in a dirty pond.
    I voted 30% updates and 70% bug fixes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Don't even mention Subnautica (which has apparently focused differently, very few bugs, amazing game btw) that loading time is.... I open it and go cook food so I can play it when I get back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Joshua Wood Trainee Engineer

Don't get me wrong. For an early access game it's pretty damn great. I'm not complaining at the devs. More so saying that after 500 hours i'm a bit bored of playing 10 or so hours in a world and then rage quiting because my solar panel array or my mining rover exploded into 1000000 pieces and destroys my base every half an hour then i have to reload losing a few mins of work and time waiting for it to load.

All i'm saying is that if space engineers had 0 bugs id play a good 600-1000 more hours of it. Just with the features it has now.

i'm not saying MEEEEEEH THE GAME IS UNPLAYABLE WITH ALL THESE BUGS FUCKING GET YOUR FINGERS OUT YOUR ARSES

i am saying This game is soo good on features and gameplay right now i would much prefer if they just fixed it and had a completely stable build then added cool stoof

I've already got my moneys worth i'm just trying to squeeze all i can out this beut of a game

Edit: It also (to me) doesn't feel like there has been any change in the buggieness of the game since i first started playing (right after it came out)

Pistons are still fucked, Rotors are still fucked. Ship collisions are still fucked

Dropping items on stuff is fixed nowadays thank god.

But the new features that have been added have been nuts. planets. Wheels. All sorts.

i just feel the game has progressed a bunch in the features side of things but its not any less buggy. Some of the old bugs have been fixed but there's new ones now :/ because of the new features

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@Joshua Wood
    Definiely fair criticism, but before I even get to the main point I would like to mention: Include new features, then fix everything (since including new things can introduce new bugs)
    Keen had to (because early access) always fix bugs, while they are a adding new features, which lengthened their development cycle.

I can see the frustration people have (WHY HAVEN'T THEY FIXED IT YET) but... it is not as easy to do as it seems.. I am pretty sure @Malware would agree, physics is absolutely one of the hardest things to include in a game (there is reason why any game including ANY! kind fo physics (even if it is just ragdoll death animations) they use physics engines)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Cetric Junior Engineer

That's a fine metaphor. One Like for this.
    --
    I have the feeling, once the traditional Lord Clang realm of "pistons & rotors" is conquered by our hero developers and those parts fully work as they should, the community will exalt in multiorgasms, so to say. After that, a repeated survey of this question probably would see the "bugfixing percentage" significantly dropping down.
    It will be such an decisive victory once they fix this once and for all.
    --
    These days my biggest wish for a new feature is a winch with steel cable + hook or other kind of attachment. For lifting, hauling things or general mechanical construction purposes like in cranes. Imagine that in conjunction with (working) pistons and rotors. 'Medieval Engineers' has such in wood, although use seems limited without pulleys.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.