Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New exploit: Alcubierre drive

Discussion in 'General' started by Valdemar |FIN|, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

Update just came out and it featured artificial mass!
    Now I did a bit of testing:

Title: The Alcubierre drive

Test: I built a simple big ship consisting of gyro, reactor, mass block and grav gen.

Result: As soon as I turned on the reactors, the ship hit the max speed at record time.

Conclusion:
    You don't want that your mega-carrier has huge, fragile and ugly rear-end full of big thrusters? But you still want to be agile and durable?
    Don't worry anymore, your problem is solved if mount the Alcubierre array inside your ship at low low cost of hundreds of grav components! No more need for shame of covering your huge rear end, as you'll only need the necessary forward parking engines. You'll want to invest in braking engines though.
    Get the Amazing Alcubierre drive today! (Available at your nearest well-supplied assemblers!)

2. mastpayne Senior Engineer

Too funny! Let the 'reality' fights begin! Getting popcorn.

3. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

[Insert Star Trek's warp drive -related quote here]

4. Memphis Apprentice Engineer

That's not an exploit, that's called engineering!

5. mastpayne Senior Engineer

The Physics Inquisition seems to be getting fired up. Gonna be fun to watch.

6. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

Oh I have already consulted the Inquisitorial Lords about this. I am waiting for their reply.

7. Astrum Trainee Engineer

I hope they keep this.

It's great for large ships, such as carriers...
    But it's complex to use, power hungry.

I know they didn't want warp drives, but their gravity generator already didn't make sense.

8. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

Making ships' gravity fields not affect their own Mass blocks won't work, as Rotors can be employed to have a separate "ship".

Regardless, this is what we're dealing with:

[​IMG]

Making grav gens draw MASSIVELY greater amounts of power when pushing Large Ship mass effect blocks might be a solution, but then we might see mass effect blocks being used as battery drains... which would be rather fascinating, actually.

9. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

Well for warp drive - you still can't go faster than 104 m/s right? I see it's usefull for fast accelerating, but you stll have to slow down afterwardsand it's near useless for maneuvering. Also how about energy consuptation compared to thrusters? Gravity generators do consume energy, do the mass blocks too? Which is more energy-hungry?

10. Grim Apprentice Engineer

Heh, it would be funny to drop a bunch of the mass blocks onto a ship with this drive, or any ship in general.

11. ghpstage Apprentice Engineer

I think this lands in the region of "awesome, but impractical" for a main ship drive as you need to open up the component interface to turn things on and off and it doesn't give inertial damping.
    For this purpose its going to have to wait for bindable macros :p

Would be useful for rapidly accelerating away from a platform, or for torpedoes, or automatic drilling platforms (this one is all i've tried so far)

It is incredibly ridiculous however :rof:

12. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

Yeah, you can't get past the 104m/s limit. I actually tried to surpass it by mounting the warp drive at the end of huge rotor arm and sticking a small ship with landing gear on it. The end of the rotor didn't exceed the 104 limit - but only because the small ship was slowing it down.

Also it's definitely more energy efficient than thrusters. But at the cost that it must be mounted near the center of mass and it has next to no maneuverability.

13. Gentry Senior Engineer

people have been doing this forever but using rocks on landing gears

this just makes it really easy

14. Grim Apprentice Engineer

That is also true, Gentry.

15. Skeloton Master Engineer

wouldn't say its easier, I mean with rocks all you need is a landing gear. With the Mass blocks you need components to make it lol.

16. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

Than I must say I don't find it as much problematic. And it made making torpedoes much easier (still would be better with battery blocks chargable thru conveyors).

17. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Yea this technology is older than rocks. Good old gravity drive. Makes them lot easier to do now tho. I'm glad that others are finally catching up, just a warning tho. Gravity drives have a huge problem with them. I haven't used it in a ship for a little while, because of it. Still ok for torpedoes tho. Not ruining peoples fun by revealing the problem, ill let you discover it your selves. :cool:

18. TungstenWall Apprentice Engineer

In theory mass of the moving object is irrelevant in a frictionless system. Acceleration has nothing to do with mass as far as speed or rate something speeds up (that is acceleration itself), only the amount of force being applied to the object.
    If Gravity Generators worked via force, greater mass would make a difference, but I assume it is just pure acceleration within the event area of the field.

19. Ash87 Senior Engineer

This is okay, because it's a linear acceleration thing only. I mean if you were to try and make it so that it worked to drive a ship it would need to have gravity gens surrounding the block on all sides. You'd have to Fly a ship this way, by turning systems on and off.

Basically imagine flying by thrusters, except you had to manually turn the thrusters on every time you wanted to change direction, and to slow or stop. It'll be a good way to accelerate between points, but wont be a way to make a stunt fighter, and I am fine with that.

I kind of would like to see some limits here, where like the larger the mass your grav gen is effecting, the greater power it draws, so that if you are using grav gens to power something like this you need to really crank up your power output... that would be good.

20. radam Senior Engineer

Anyone measured the force of one g pushing one block?

21. nilloc93 Trainee Engineer

JUMP DRIVES ACTIVATE

also piss off physics nazis i'm having fun with this one.

22. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Link

This is my feedback, I'd say a few changes to the grav gen are in order. Minor things, people should be allowed to do this, but it should have some limitations on it.

23. radam Senior Engineer

One block gives 50kn of FORCE at 1g, for 600kw. Basically thats half as efficient as regular thrusters. (100kn for 560kw)

But is scales linearly with gravity, and gravity gens have their power consumption scaled by field range. So one stack many gravity gens with small fields...

24. Grim Apprentice Engineer

To change direction, couldn't you just point to a different direction while the gravity is in effect? I haven't done any testing with this at all since I haven't been able to play with the new things.

25. radam Senior Engineer

Yeah turning around to deccelerate does work...

26. Memphis Apprentice Engineer

Here's the application as I see it. To really make it work, you need to combine thrusters with a grav drive. It would require 2 people to operate. One operates the grav drive which is only linear (forward and back, you can reverse the field), while the other does the main piloting with thrusters and gyroscopes. Whenever the pilot needs a burst of speed forward, or to slow down, he calls for the other guy (the engineer!) to activate the gravity field. A real benefit, other than being neat, would be the ship would still be able to escape a situation if badly crippled. As long as you have the gyros and grav drive, you can just point and activate to run.

27. Fixer Apprentice Engineer

If you put 6 gravity generators (gravity pointing at each other equally) around a mass block, then powered the mass block, wouldn't it just bounce around inside the area of the generators?

Would be fun to watch.

28. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

Turning works fine as long as the warp drive is close to center of mass. If not, your ship will start curving. However things get hard when you want to stop, especially if your ship isn't thruster/warp drive hybrid.

Edit: Memphis described the best way to utilize them. And it makes sense that you need a friend in engine room to operate them.

29. Draygo Senior Engineer

devs need to have an equal and opposite force applied to the grav generators to counter this exploit. Would solve it for everything if they did that.

30. Lancar Senior Engineer

I just realized...

This update made Jumpgates possible...

DAMMIT! I MUST SLEEP TO BE ABLE TO WORK TOMORROW!

*whimper*....

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.