Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New information about the development

Discussion in 'General' started by bleakhead, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cetric Junior Engineer

Bloody me still isn't convinced about the dragon stuff being common medieval belief. I mean, 'book of revelations' is prophecy and not a depiction of what happened last month in the county. And nobody understood it in another way than as "things to come at the end of times", if you believed it or not.
    Some other page I found with things medieval or not so medieval:
    https://historycollection.co/20-things-everybody-gets-wrong-about-the-middle-ages/18/
    concerning the Chinese tradition of dragons: they did not live long enough as culture to actually still see the last dinosaures, but WHAT I can believe is that excavations which brought skeletons of dinosaures made them imagine how those animals looked like alive - so this is how you get the picture of a dragon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Medieval gaming is a well saturated genre. So is space gaming. Developers poop these games out by the dozens and they are all focused on combat. They are all about what are you going to have to find or buy or steal so that you will be able to kill any opponent. Keen's games, SE and ME, are about what are you going to design and build in order to dominate your environment. Your opponents are so tangential that they are still just placeholders in both games. It's all about what you can build, and what the things you build can do. I could play a dime-a-dozen space game, or I can play Space Engineers. I could play a dime-a-dozen Medieval game, or I could play Medieval Engineers, except Medieval Engineers suddenly wanted to be a dime-a-dozen Medieval game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

imho anything like dragons would be mods and not part of the base game. so in that thought let it rain all sorts of optional beasts... however horses and mounts are certainly a core game need as are the raising of livestock and domesticated animals. guard dogs and the such also plausible - there are enough real things that we can agree should be part of the core game that any talk of dragons and the krakken are fun but strictly added mods imho.

i cant wait for the day when i approach a tall tower and see long blonde hair coming out from a top window all the way to the ground...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

I would be content with deer not dropping from the skies and landing on my castle. Their new sprint is enough to knock down Oaks. Deer are the dragons of Medieval Engineers.

@ibisgrunk They did, for a while, turn Oak Branches into Acorns. BUT, at some point, unannounced, they rolled back that feature for some reason. Along with the reddish cedar stairs that appeared for a while. Before they also were reverted to the unsanded, choppy regular brown wood they use for everything.

But yeah, I am also sad that they stopped developing Medieval Engineers. The combat update was a complete waste of development, and 0.7 shipped with roofs that are bugged (don't set in correctly and overlap), which were never fixed. We still don't have angular floors and walls. The building set feels incomplete.

Conan Exiles has the far more advanced and intuitive building tools and that's a PVP game!

But you can't make blueprints in Conan Exiles, which is why the building isn't motivational because for massive structures, you can't duplicate the design or make a copy of it in any way. You have to memorize it somehow if you ever need to rebuild it again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I totally understand, but this difference doesn't prevent any developer from building and releasing an ME knock-off. I just think it's more likely now that they have an example to copy and one-up Keen in the process.

6. Cetric Junior Engineer

Do not despair, mortal! Today I noticed on Facebook KEEN (or precisely Blitz333, or the new PR dragon) promised some news about Medieval Engineers in the close future. So here's hope we get good news of some kind soon and can stop reassuring to each other we are starving.

[​IMG]
    And this is for our friend Ibisgrunk.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

A knock-off of the current version of ME would be about as popular as... the current version of ME. Right now ME is a knock-off of every other Medieval game. I can imagine a knock-off of ME releasing and every ME fan abandoning ME to play the new Medieval game where you can build castles and farms better than you could in ME.

SE is a space game among space games, but since it's a space game where you can build clever devices it wins awards like Most Fun You Can Have on a PC.

If ME is not going to be an engineering game of any kind, then ME is the knock-off.

8. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

@Tenzo, bad news - blueprints are a hack monster. they can be used to bring down a server or exploit. any wise admin running an ME server should block blueprints or face a nightmare scenario. yeah, even ME blueprints are flawed... again, blueprints in ME are hack seeds... Saint Dymphna is the patron saint of ME right now...

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Such profound philosophy and manner of sweet nectar dribbles from your lips! Oh wise one, do tell us what this means.
    --- Automerge ---
    No seriously, what does this mean?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

hackers can use the blueprint feature to shut down a claim area, i was targeted as such. so they drop somehow multiple blueprints onto another PlayerID's claim and what happens is, this is what happened to me, is that after about a second inside your claim you get exited to main menu. i can PM you names and more details about that incident and the five or so hours the admin had to go clean up the server. that specific claim was permanently a no go for the rest of the game... then there is the ability to drop a blueprint that has storage pre-loaded to your heart's content. so you will walk into a structure for example in Darios that the player who joined an hour earlier and inside their building all the barrels and chests are full of steel weapons, cloth and linen, etc. but there is no mining, no flax farm nothing... again i can PM you names and server stuff on that incident as well... finally a lot of admins have encountered regular vanilla blueprint issues that often crash a server. i can PM the admin doing that action as well...

tldr - blueprints are a scripting vessel that can be hacked, regular blueprints are infamous for causing server issues

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Wow! That sounds really bad. Not sure I fully understand. No need for names or admins. I'll try it on my own server. Thanks for the heads up!
    --- Automerge ---
    Wait, do you mean placing a blueprint in the sky above a claim block and letting it fall on it and it perma-voids the blocks or voxels it was built on?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

i dont know how they did it, the admin figured it out and said something about them dropping multiple blueprints on top of each other which ended up jamming the claim block area so anyone inside it would CTD... something really nasty...

13. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Hopefully they don't solve that problem by removing blueprints from the game.

I agree, that sounds really bad. Reminds me of how they limited how many items you could move or drop at the same time. Maybe that's what they were referring to with that "fix" in 0.7.

14. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

"In the close future" or "In the close future"?

15. boromir Apprentice Engineer

We'll give you one guess.

16. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

The game really needs some work. Unfortunately, space engineers has been Keen's staple for so long that they are investing hard in that instead of in Medieval. Its good to hear that they are hinting at future updates, this game sorely needs content.

17. boromir Apprentice Engineer

I would imagine you all saw this interview with Marek, but just in case (original link I found):

@CosmicCh1mp: The Cosmic Show is back! Check out my interview with @marek_rosa as we talk about @SpaceEngineersG @MedievalEng and the future of Both games and more.

TLDW: Marek is going to make an announcement about the future of ME soon.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. Cetric Junior Engineer

Looks like this interview got completely ignored, just one comment and that two weeks ago. :) Marek forgot to tell Blitz333 or his successor as PR guy about it.

19. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Soon™.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.