Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New modding feature requests

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ondrej.Petrzilka, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Mod Request:

Reactor nuclear signature

I'd like to see a mod-ed group of reactor blocks that give off a nuclear signature.

The blocks will function like beacons.
    They will give off a beacon/antennae reading.
    Only non-owned and non-faction signatures will be displayed (to reduce screen clutter).
    They will display on the screen for 30,000 meters for all reactors. (Though shorter ranges for smaller reactors might be worth discussing)
    The nuclear signature will read out in red and will display the text "." <-- just a single period.
    Using a small single character will reduce screen clutter when the enemy ship has multiple active reactors present.​
    When the reactor is damaged
    All other attributes will remain the same.
    I think such a mod will give a nice balance to the use of batteries and solar panels. Reactors will be the most efficient means of generating power, but they come at the price of discovery. Making decisions based on whether to use or activate reactors would force the player to make lots of new choices about if and when to use reactors and make the use of alternative power sources a bit more necessary without stripping out reactors from the game or diminishing their capacity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Astolas Trainee Engineer

custom dedicaded server loading screens and changeable character inventory would be nice.

3. Stollie Apprentice Engineer

GUI updates please :)

- Short Description of each blocks function and what mod it's part of etc. when you mouse over it.
    - Being able to sort alphabetically and by type in Assembler and other screens.
    - BIGGEST one - being able to hotkey remote control modules on ships and stations to your Suit hot bar - we have a control panel on our arm surely we should be able to create these shortcuts?? :p

Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

• Not the Topic of the Thread.
    MOD REQUEST:

Window blocks with LCD functionality with opaque text.

When active, text prints out over the screen. When deactivated, the window functions normally.

Would be nice if it worked on sloping windows and windows of different sizes.

The opacity should be user controllable as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SuperSnakeTate Trainee Engineer

Hi

so recently i tried making some models, that would eventually be put into a block pack for the game, however once i got to the texturing and collision models stage that's where i realized i was in over my head.
    The models i made are all small ship blocks that are curved because there is another curved block mod on the steam workshop but the author has gone MIA, and another user is waiting on the author to give him the models/ so he can update them to dx11.. which means unless the author comes back that mod is basically useless.

Heres a pic of the blocks ive made, and how they relate to a full circle

What im requesting is someone with the time, effort and know-how to finish these blocks for me, i am beyond confused with blender and maya and it doesn't seem like any guides are making me any less confused.

i've converted all the files to fbx , they are at the correct small ship block size, and at the moment they are just the main models. if anyone is interested here's the download.
    https://www.mediafire.com/?p2gt9iba66zxrpt

feel free to release them public when you finish, just notify me cause i want to start building lovely curved ships. thank you

6. Koder Apprentice Engineer

Modding capability request:

With the release of planets, we have a new PlanetaryLander SubtypeId (Used with the atmospheric lander, which is pretty cool). During my testing it seems that any prefab I use with this SubtypeId, it spawns the player 3-4km in the atmosphere of a planet. I was unable to find a way to modify the initial spawn altitude. This request is to add a PlanetaryRover SubtypeId to the RespawnShips.sbc, with associated behavior of spawning directly on the surface of a planet, instead of in the atmosphere.

The current workaround to getting a respawn rover to work is going in creative, copying it, and then pasting it on the ground. Save and switch back to survival. Or add thrusters to it, which isn't really ideal either. I am the kind of modder that is looking out for the people that are always looking for a challenge.

Thank you Keen for all your hard work, and I enjoyed the planetary release stream.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. devu Trainee Engineer

With the planet release (or even before) we have option to control voxel materials <SpawnsInAsteroids>false</SpawnsInAsteroids> from spawning on asteroids.
    Is it possible to do the same for Planets? I wish to have <SpawnsInPlanets>false</SpawnsInPlanets> as well.

I'm developing a mod with real resources and the base of asteroid is a chondrite. I've got over 70 resources I would like to distribute accordingly.
    Also that would enable us to define voxel materials that are a product of refinery process from compound ores.

For instance Haxonite can be found as a composite ore and then refined to elemental ones including Nickel.
    Nickel however can never be found as simple ore. Currently this system is working perfectly however if there is no definition of voxel material if the ore happens to float in space it appears as a pink ball.
    The only way to make it proper way is to define it, but then it will spawn on planet.

8. Fishkaras Trainee Engineer

9. trekfan42 Trainee Engineer

hopefully a lot of you guys have seen this:

Its really impressive how well this forward facing suspension wheel setup works for making vehicles that can actually get around easy.

My proposal is to find someone who can make a version of the block with either the wheel portion invisible... or redesign the whole Suspension block to look more like a hover engine.. maybe sage's new hover model?

this way, visually the engines will look like they are hovering above the ground.. when infact we have a invisible wheel collision mesh riding on the ground.

I can do the model if anyone needs but basically im looking to make a prototype where the wheel is just invisible also

10. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Hi,
    we need a change in the sound selection menu. If you add like 30 or more sounds, the menu gets really "confusing". I mean you have to scroll alot to find the right sound!!
    I know it´s just a small thing. But the change would make me happy :tu:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. BobbyHill Apprentice Engineer

mod request:
    door/lift mod that descends down on 4 pistons. much like the entrance to the constellation Andromeda from star citizen. sorry if i got that wrong i dont play star citizen.

12. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

Is this thread still visited by Devs? I hope so...

Can we change the planet modding a bit, specifically, animal modding?
    Currently it is something like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <Definitions xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
    <PlanetGeneratorDefinitions>
    <PlanetGeneratorDefinition>
    	  <Id>
    		<TypeId>PlanetGeneratorDefinition</TypeId>
    		<SubtypeId>EarthLike</SubtypeId>
    	   </Id>

<!--A LOT OF PLANET-RELATED STUFF -->

<AnimalSpawnInfo>
    		  <Animals>
    				<Animal Type="Cyberhound"/>
    		  </Animals>
    		  <SpawnDelayMin>60000</SpawnDelayMin>
    		  <SpawnDelayMax>80000</SpawnDelayMax>
    		  <SpawnDistMin>100</SpawnDistMin>
    		  <SpawnDistMax>140</SpawnDistMax>
    		  <WaveCountMin>2</WaveCountMin>
    		  <WaveCountMax>4</WaveCountMax>
       </AnimalSpawnInfo>
       <NightAnimalSpawnInfo>
    		  <Animals>
    				<Animal Type="Cyberhound"/>
    		  </Animals>
    		  <SpawnDelayMin>30000</SpawnDelayMin>
    		  <SpawnDelayMax>60000</SpawnDelayMax>
    		  <WaveCountMin>4</WaveCountMin>
    		  <WaveCountMax>7</WaveCountMax>
      </NightAnimalSpawnInfo>
    </PlanetGeneratorDefinition>
    </PlanetGeneratorDefinitions>
    </Definitions>

And so to modify spawnings on a planet you must redefine the entire planet, which make animal mods mutually exclusive. That's no good at all. I propose to change it to:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <Definitions xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
    <PlanetGeneratorDefinitions>
    	<PlanetGeneratorDefinition>
    	</PlanetGeneratorDefinition>
    </PlanetGeneratorDefinitions>

<AnimalSpawningDefinitions>
    	<AnimalSpawningDefinition>
    	<Id>
    		<TypeId>AnimalSpawningDefinition</TypeId>
    		<SubtypeId>Cyberhound</SubtypeId>
    	</Id>
    		<AnimalId>Cyberhound</AnimalId>
    		<PlanetId>
    			<Planet>EarthLike</Planet>
    			<Planet>Alien</Planet>
    		</PlanetId>
    		<SpawnVoxelMaterials>
    			<!-- If empty, then spawns on any available voxel -->
    			<Material>Sand_02</Material>
    			<Material>Grass_01</Material>
    		</SpawnVoxelMaterials>
    		<SpawnInfo>
    			<SpawnDelayMin>60000</SpawnDelayMin>
    			<SpawnDelayMax>80000</SpawnDelayMax>
    			<WaveCountMin>2</WaveCountMin>
    			<WaveCountMax>4</WaveCountMax>
    		</Spawninfo>
    		<NightSpawnInfo>
    			<SpawnDelayMin>30000</SpawnDelayMin>
    			<SpawnDelayMax>60000</SpawnDelayMax>
    			<WaveCountMin>4</WaveCountMin>
    			<WaveCountMax>7</WaveCountMax>
    		</NighSpawnInfo>
    	</AnimalSpawningDefinition>
    </AnimalSpawningDefinitions>
    </Definitions>

It will allow creature mods to coexist with both each other and with planet mods.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  13. flori1994 Trainee Engineer

modding support for

<SmallShipMaxSpeed>100</SmallShipMaxSpeed>
    <LargeShipMaxSpeed>100</LargeShipMaxSpeed>
    <SmallShipMaxAngularSpeed>360</SmallShipMaxAngularSpeed>
    <LargeShipMaxAngularSpeed>180</LargeShipMaxAngularSpeed>

for thruster

14. BobbyHill Apprentice Engineer

darth_biomech the legend himself... creatures would be amazing.

15. Lazermaniac Trainee Engineer

Could we get better modding support for handheld weapons? I'd love to be able to adjust how far the ironsights zoom in, and the F12 dev options are nice for setting up where the arms go, but half of the sliders don't do anything.

16. Grounds Keeper Willy Trainee Engineer

I second this, having spend a really long time digging around being told it could be scripted / modded - I realized finally there were no gaps to somehow access the "Select" function in MySoundBlock as its internal.
    Please please could we have this functionality from the modding API.

Also as mentioned elsewhere the Ore list as well would make things much better for drones.

17. Eikester2 Trainee Engineer

i was working on a github pull request adding categories/groups to soundblocks and lcds but then keen stopped github pr's :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Grounds Keeper Willy Trainee Engineer

Exactly!!! I am all ready to dump 10 - 100s of man hours into the ingame API as well as the ModAPI API to ensure this functionality would be in the game for all, but the github and community feed back seems to be falling on deaf ears for now - most disappointed as a new entrant to this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. n1ghty Trainee Engineer

We currently have the ability to add custom fuels, fuel generators etc.
    So we could easily mod a thruster that uses a different gas, let's say methane. We can add "solid methane" as a modded variant of Ice and create a modded oxygen generator that only accepts methane and processes it into methane gas. We can then feed it to our modded thruster.

But what would really take it to the next level is modding the gas contained inside the atmosphere of a planet.
    I'd love to see an expansion of the atmosphere modding for planets.

This is what we have right now.

Code:
    	  <HasAtmosphere>true</HasAtmosphere>
    	  <Atmosphere>
    		<Breathable>true</Breathable>
    		<OxygenDensity>0.9</OxygenDensity>
    		<Density>1.0</Density>
    		<LimitAltitude>2.0</LimitAltitude>
    	  </Atmosphere>
    My suggestion would be to generalise this definition.
    Maybe something like this?

Code:
    	  <HasAtmosphere>true</HasAtmosphere>
    	  <Atmosphere>
    		<Density>1.0</Density>
    		<Breathable>true</Breathable>
    		<AtmosphereContents>
    			<Oxygen>
    				  <GasDensity>0.9</GasDensity>
    			</Oxygen>
    			<Hydrogen>
    				  <GasDensity>0.2</GasDensity>
    			</Hydrogen>
    			<Methane>
    				  <GasDensity>0.3</GasDensity>
    			</Methane>
    		 </AtmosphereContents>
    		<LimitAltitude>2.0</LimitAltitude>
    	  </Atmosphere>
    This obviously would require the ability for other gas to exist in a room just like oxygen does.
    However it would allow AirVents to be modded for various gas types aswell.
    I guess this would be a pretty complicated change.

Back to my example above with the Methane Thruster.
    Let's say we also add an MethaneVent that can harvest methane out of an atmosphere.

Now it is possible to mod Gas Giants with a methane atmosphere.
    On top of that we can even design a ship that is able to refuel the methane needed to fly by taking in the atmosphere via methane filters (modded airvents).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Lord Bhael Apprentice Engineer

There is another point that could make it a bit more complicated. Optimally, the game would need to ensure that all reactants necessary for an atmospheric thruster burning gaseous fuel were available either within the fuel delivery system or from the atmosphere. For example, methane would be effective in an oxygen atmosphere, but in a methane atmosphere oxygen becomes your limiting reactant. Supplying methane to a thruster in a methane atmosphere wouldn't burn. I would love to see this implemented in the game, it would be incredible to me, but I don't know if this particular level of complexity would be added with it.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more stoked I think I would be if it were added like that. Imagine if the output of the thruster was linked proportionately with the ratio of CH4 to O2 required for complete combustion. Full output at 1 CH4: 2 O2, half power if only 1 CH4: 1 O2 (too little oxygen) or 1 CH4: 4 O2 (too little methane). Or maybe I'm one of the only people that likes complexity. :(

21. mexpex Apprentice Engineer

Light intensity depending on the amount of usage.
    Would be a great addition to reactors and thrusters(heating up effect ;)). Also good to have for all kind of emissive stuff :)
    So basically a setting for intensity and color. Material whise it would work something like this when calculating the color part (visually shown in unreal):
    In the cubeblock file you would have the settings IdleColor/UsageColor and IdleIntensity/UsageIntensity, kinda like thrusters.

Would be great to have :) i belive others agree with me

/Mex

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Lord Bhael Apprentice Engineer

I would agree. Don't they have something like that with the atmospheric reentry mod? A visual representation of heat buildup on the hull?

23. BlackRedDead Apprentice Engineer

-=: Advanced/restrictable mount points :=-
    this suggestion starts here
    (MountPoints definitions parameters: PropertiesMask="2" ExclusionMask="1" - what these do?)

the idea is to give mountpoints the possibility to restrict connection to other mountpoints
    so that a gunbarrel of Mass Driver only connects to the gunbase ;-)
    or the cables only connect to the sections they should!^^

this could be done by "fixing" the existend "system" (wich i still havent understood yet :-/)
    so the "PropertiesMask" is responsible to connect only to other blocks with the same identifier and the "ExclusionMask" for what to NOT connect ;-)
    Example:
    [Block A]
    Code:
    PropertiesMask="2" ExclusionMask="1"
    connect to Block B
    never connect to Block C

[Block B]
    Code:
    PropertiesMask="2" ExclusionMask="0"
    connect to Block A
    no ExclusionMask

[Block C]
    Code:
    PropertiesMask="1" ExclusionMask="2"
    not connect to Block A & Block B

[Block D]
    Code:
    PropertiesMask="0" ExclusionMask="1"
    connect to every block
    not connect to Block C

...or so - damn logic systems! :D
    but you see - eighter you need a match or a dismatch to specific blocks!
    1 code that allows connection to only the right identifier
    1 code that ristricts the connection from a specific identifier
    (sorry - bad english and long day :-/)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  24. Lord Bhael Apprentice Engineer

I thought I recently read a discussion about mount point restrictions, and that they already exists. I think they can be defined somewhere in the .smb files. The implementation is confusing though.

25. BlackRedDead Apprentice Engineer

could be done by adding a basic structure tree (like that in windows explorer) where you can group sounds together in categorys and open/close them by a +/-to show the contained sounds ;-)
    ah cool - where to find it? :)

look at my link! ;-)
    other than that, there are no topics about "mount point restriction"!
    and what is an .smb file??? - you might mean .sbm, but thats just a renamed .zip archive!
    (the "data" files are .sbc files - renamed .xml dokuments)

26. Lord Bhael Apprentice Engineer

Yes, the .sbc files, sorry. With school back in full swing, I've been neglecting my modding projects, and my memory of random 3-digit extensions gets a little rusty at times.:p

And yes, the link you provide is the same one I was thinking of. My mistake for not reading your link. I am forever shamed.:( However, I might suggest next time briefly paraphrase the discussion you are linking to, and maybe exactly what you are asking for. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's too lazy that probably isn't going to bother reading another thread in order to understand one post on the current thread. In this instance, the other thread is pretty short, but can you imagine someone suggesting modular weapons, and then linking 5+ discussions that are each several pages long?

In the spirit of clarity, could you post exactly what you are requesting be added? I think it is in the other post, but I want to make sure. What you describe in this post isn't really different from the weird and wacky bass-ackwards system we have...and I thought there was talk of adding it to Harag's Blender toolkit.

27. Eikester2 Trainee Engineer

only on my hdd atm

28. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  29. BlackRedDead Apprentice Engineer

ty, still missing a vote feature to merge such stuff into the actual game code! :-/
    is there any way to "semi vote" for good code improvements?

30. Aryeonos Trainee Engineer

I just put this on the steam forum, but basically change up how sensors work by making them essentially be 'turrets' in that we can set their detect parameters in degrees, and max distance instead of bounding boxes, and have mod support for changing how many detect/track rays they can cast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.