1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

New Multiplayer Prototype Dedicated Servers - Hosting All 3

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by DerrickMehaffy, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DerrickMehaffy

DerrickMehaffy Trainee Engineer

------------------
    Thanks to @Xocliw for stress testing and actually crashing my rock server! I appreciate the stress testing!
    If you Keen guys want to use these to test, your more than welcome to!
    ------------------

Hey guys,

The 3 Prototype Dedicated Servers are now online, you can find the steam links to them below. I have tested connecting to them all myself so they should be on the current builds as of 11/29/16.

Please note the servers are located in the Data Center I work at in the United States, specifically Phoenix, AZ. I appologize if the ping is a tad higher for the EU/Asia guys, not much I can do about that. I run quite a few different game servers on this equipment and all the US guys should have no problems with latency.

I won't be installing any mods on these and they will run in survival for actual testing.
    I have installed a few quality of life mods, but none add any additional blocks

Feedback for the prototypes themselves should be linked on their appropriate sub threads.

For Prototype Feedback please see the following threads:

Server feedback can be posted here, if you have any questions please feel free to inbox me, I would rather see replies with actual server issues so others can put their input as well. These will remain up while the prototypes are in their testing phases.

Any feedback is appreciated as well!

Servers are now online!
    • Rock Server - Sonar Gaming Development Server 1 - steam://connect/216.36.35.124:27016
    • Paper Server - Sonar Gaming Development Server 2 - steam://connect/216.36.35.125:27016
    • Scissors Server - Sonar Gaming Development Server 3 - steam://connect/216.36.35.126:27016

Thanks,
    DMehaffy

***Edited on 11/29/16 @ 3:28PM PHX Time***

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dustnbone

dustnbone Trainee Engineer

Thanks very much. When I read the announcement I was really hoping Keen would do something similar.

3. DerrickMehaffy

Yeah no problem, I work in a Data Center so I get to use our spare equipment. I just happen to have a very large lab with a few public IP's that my boss lets me run personal stuff on so I figured why the hell not.
    :)

4. ColonelCabbage

ColonelCabbage Trainee Engineer

Cool I'll check it out when its up

5. DerrickMehaffy

FYI the servers are now online, see the OP for connection information

- DMehaffy

6. cpy

cpy Trainee Engineer

What are the differences between those 3?

7. DerrickMehaffy

So far I'm not seeing any major differences, but they are the 3 new Multiplayer Prototype update versions. Check out the new changelog post.

8. haximodor92

haximodor92 Trainee Engineer

I successfully added the server into my folder. However I can't join in the server. Does anyone has the same problem?

I am in scissor branches.

Edited;it seems like my version is a bit ahead of current server version. There is a hotfix today.

9. System Error Message

System Error Message Trainee Engineer

does the rock server scissor server, paper server beat rock server?

10. DerrickMehaffy

Yeah sorry about that, was getting my beauty sleep. I'm updating them now, so should be back up in the next 20-30 minutes.

- DMehaffy

11. fourthquantum

fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Does anyone know the difference between the different multiplayer types?

12. DerrickMehaffy

It was stated in the changelog post they are blind versions, they want feedback from things they haven't tested yet thus they aren't telling us what the differences are at the moment.

13. fourthquantum

fourthquantum Senior Engineer

ah, well which one is the best one to start with?
    --- Automerge ---
    Is the server type not dependent on server capacity and the number of users on the server at any one time.

Those parameters are hard to manage unless they release their own servers and calibrate against it.

One type of multiplayer maybe better at high capacity while the other maybe better at low capacity.

14. DerrickMehaffy

Honestly it's up to you, I don't want to provide any tips on which one I think is best simply because it's a blind test. Keen likely tested each build internally with certain parameters, now they are releasing the versions to a larger test group with random variables vs static.

I'd say put some time in (30, 60, or 120 minutes) on each. I'm hoping to get a few more people on each of the 3 so testing can actually be done with multiple players at the same time. Steam however is terrible about searching for servers, so mine take a few minutes to pop up. (Currently trying to diagnose that as we speak).

15. haximodor92

haximodor92 Trainee Engineer

Oh they updated again....

16. DerrickMehaffy

Already? Dang, I'll remote in an update them in a few minutes. Looks like they are planning on pushing updates all weekend.

17. terribleperson

terribleperson Trainee Engineer

Logged into the scissors server, spawned a planetary lander, was good for a bit then I got disconnected (killed my client after like 25 seconds with no communication). Started client, connected again, crashed when I tried to re-enter my lander. Since then I crash every time I try to join the server. Going to try rock now.

18. DerrickMehaffy

Thanks for the feedback Ill try and restart it and update the code if there is any.

19. terribleperson

terribleperson Trainee Engineer

Moved back to the official server since yours had no one on it. Unfortunately, those seem to have gone down now. Shame there doesn't seem to be anyone on your servers :(.

20. DerrickMehaffy

Yeah we had the Keen twitch stream on for a while. Once I get off work I'm going to be on the scissors for a bit with some friends.

21. Syncaidius

Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Are the colored icons on Scissors server a mod or part of the branch?

I really wish they were in the base game. It looks so much better than the blue color that Keen currently use on everything, everywhere.

22. DerrickMehaffy

Ah yeah I forgot to update the thread, I did add a few "quality of life" mods, nothing that modifies the blocks or adds any blocks just a few performance things (A Hydrogen re-balance just to make it easier to test on planets) among a few others, the colored icons are a mod. And I too wish they were part of the game.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.