Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

New PC. Trying to reach good fps on planets

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sufficient, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Sufficient

Hello, I got a large new desktop for Christmas, but it isn't even able to run playable frame-rates on lowest settings without planets, and I am looking for anyone here who understand computers and is willing to help. This is what system information I assume is relevant:
    • Windows 10 (64 bit)
    • Nvidia Geforce GT 420
    • AMD A6-7400K Radeon R5, 6 Compute Cores 2C+4G
    • 15 GB (according to task manager)
    • The fan is decent in size
    If this is not enough information, tell me.

I do not hope to spend over $500 US on new components. I am not familiar with how to change or find options for components I already have. My end goal is to run planets on at least low graphics settings (medium preferable) with shadows and hopefully foliage on at an fps above 20.

Help.

2. Ronin1973

The Nvidia Geforce GT 420 is the culprit. It's pretty old and pretty weak. New?

You can get into the 1070 for $399US or around. The 1080 starts at $600.

There are plenty of tutorials on youtube for swapping out a video card. You unplug the computer from the wall, open up the case, unscrew the screws holding the card to the case, carefully pull out the old card, then reverse the process with the new card. The computer will boot up with default drivers and probably be low resolution. You then install the drivers that came with the new card OR download them from the manufacturer's website. The whole process should be less than 20 minutes. Definitely watch the tutorials first as I'm just giving you general information. But the level of difficulty is around changing a tire but without all the heavy lifting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. sankti

I Just bought for this game EVGA 1070 FTW and i7-4790k, even OC'ing it to the maximum gives only 2 fps extra! and it stays at 50fps~~ on high settings, sometimes 120+fps when far from planets (not cool) BTW I'm on 1440p monitor it use little more than 1080p monitors

processor usage jumps to 100% sometimes (not cool too)

#edit

Yup highest settings :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Ronin1973

50fps is quite good for planets at the moment. Are you on the highest settings?

5. Sufficient

Your device sounds strong. How much better than what I have are those parts and are they expensive?

6. sankti

Im still waiting for better optimization random freezes still exist!, Survival on Alien Planet with NPC's was not even possible on my old components(gtx660, 8gb ram, i5 stock)
    I just wanted to have smooth 60fps and it Cost me about 1000$~(processor i7-4790k, gpu: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, ram: kingston 2x8gbHyperX, and the PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650 P2
    and it's no matter how much better it is or worse, My friends got components like gtx 780 some old Amd processors They fully enjoying game on medium settings on planets with spiking 30 fps.
    You should find some videos on YouTube how to change parts or how to find something good to buy! I can only recommend for you better gpu like: gtx 950/970 or Radeon R9 280 and a better processor Im not good in AMD decissions sorry!

7. Jonathan_777

I want to buy GTX 1060 or 1070. What is your experience on planets with BIG builds on the 1060/1070 FPS/ smoothness...? PLEASE answer
    Running i5 3570 3.8ghz turbo (3.4Ghz with all 4 cores at 100% load) so my CPU can handle those cards. Just not sure if I NEED a 1070 but I do want to build BIG as I do already build big with my GTX 950 but I can not put shadows on etc on big builds.... frustrating..
    --- Automerge ---
    coz it looks so much more awesome with shadows