Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

No more steering speed limit...Is there a mod or can I get the option back?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dexmes, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dexmes Trainee Engineer

Hello, thanks for taking the time to view my question. Just as the title says I am wondering what happened to the "Steering speed limit", I understand it was taken out and the dev blog only tells us -
    • Reduced number of wheel/suspension settings - the game takes care of the details
    GREAT, I loved controlling my wheeled creations with my own precision and adjustments. The dev blog / change log is basically telling me. In our engineering game we've now locked you out of the option which gave me more realistic freedom and control to be an engineer. Hnng.

Now maybe i'm just being naive, is there some NEW way to control how fast my wheels turn? Now with a keyboard they are very fast turning...and its very unrealistic. I don't see my self using a controller for something like this. :(

Any suggestions or mods are appreciated

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Give it time. It's possible Keen disabled fine tuning temporarily to get maximum feedback on the new system. They've done it before IIRC. Cyberhounds weren't toggleable at first...

3. Malware Master Engineer

I would not recommend "giving it time", if they disabled it to get feedback then if people want that setting back, they're gonna have to give them that particular piece of feedback - or it won't be back ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Well, give it time and scream about it like a madman in the meantime? :D

It would seem logical to get a switch between manual and automatic settings... Only a lot less dynamic game, say Terratech for example, might get away with fully automatic settings. SE has waaaay too many variables to account for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Problem is since most people don't really design wheeled vehicles they don't understand why something like steering speed would be important. All most people really wanted was a wheel suspension they could just slap on and it would work regardless of the size or weight of the vehicle. Now they have that and for most of the little four-wheeled buggies they're going to make it'll be just fine so no complaints. There may not be enough of us with more ambitious projects to get Keen's attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Malware Master Engineer

The good old 80/20 rule... Unfortunately those needing more control falls firmly in the less-than-20% category here, very likely :(

Still... If one does not try...

7. Inflex Developer Staff

Hello everyone,
    the steering speed was removed from terminal on purpose so the game can control it for you in real-time instead.
    When staying still the wheels turn much faster now, as opposed to when you are driving fast, then the wheels turn much slower to make your driving naturally smooth.

We believe that this is how the majority of players find it useful as you don't have to fiddle with this setting anymore. You can just build your car and drive it!
    In case we overlooked some important use-case, please let us know so we can reconsider re-adding it, but at the moment we believe it's fine as it is.

To answer the question regarding mods, wheels steering speeds are defined in sbc configuration files so it is moddable, if needed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Calaban Junior Engineer

Why use a variable setting of sterring change rate, when ultimatey you are using the A and D keys to drive it? I prefer the auto steer as it is, since i am in fact steering with a click of the a and d keys.

I couldnt justify an analog steering wheel for playing this game, as I do not drive vehicles in SE enough to justify the effort of setting one up.

9. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Perhaps an auto/custom steer speed option? Default being automatic steer speed adjustments, unchecking auto to manually adjust steering speed?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.