Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Oh those Barbarians... how you deal with them?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cetric, Feb 15, 2017.

?

How do you deal with Barbarians?

1. I hide from them.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I seek melee and I do well in it.

57.1%
  3. I use distance weapons (gladly I have bolts).

14.3%
  4. Which Barbarian?? I am the Barbarian!

14.3%
  5. I know a supertrick against them and I will tell here.

14.3%
  1. Cetric

I am really bad at defending against those culturally advanced 'Barbarians' coming to me in chain mail lusting to destroy things and kill my character. In most fights I succumb, so I try to use distance weapons to defend myself. That is, the crossbow and throwing heavy things on their heads. That is the way I achieved most of my kills, if any at all.
    I had the Barbarians switched off in my world settings because they were so annoying. As I had to concentrate on other things like advancing in technology and getting ore.
    Unfortunately, since the coming of iron, I ran out of bolts for the crossbow and there is no way of getting new ammunition yet. So this defense method got obliterate. Thought I still have the 'drop stuff on them' concept.
    So recently, I dared switch on my misbehaving friends, the Barbarians, who immediately came to pay their respects. Not one, not two, but three guys in fancy byrnies. My place had a stone wall, thanks to Keen Holyness, so I could keep them out. I climbed on the stone wall with my pockets full of timbers, logs and stones. I kept dropping things on them. They were sometimes literally covered with timbers.
    But they don't die anymore (or my altitude is insufficient, just one block) or wear invisible helmets. My method does not work. I had to go into melee just to find out I still succumb as if I were a little girl.

[​IMG]
    (1) I see there is no advantage in using a sword. In fact it should be stronger in combat than mace or axe.
    (2) Combat seems erratic. You strike and just hope you hit him. Seldom you seem to hit, even with said superior weapon you won't scratch much of his chain mail while he places hit after hit on your leather apron and skull cap. I would wish for a combat system as seen in 'Mount and Blade Warband' years ago, where you can direct your blows better, and where is a blocking system, which lets me ask for a shield.
    I tried to do a little timing but to no avail. I just succumb and die. Again and Again. And each time one sword of my supply is gone. After the first group a second pack of three Barbarians came within some minutes (!). They must have accumulated over this period while I had them switched off, or what??
    Enough! I can't deal with it. My only answer to this will be I switch them off again. It's too frustrating without crossbow being under constant attack of whole groups.
    --
    My other claim is on high mountains with steep slopes and I thought about installation of logs which could be set loose and roll down the slope for killing advancing Barbarians, but this idea won't work as logs disappear while laying around on the ground, making it impossible to store their kinetic energy in place.
    --
    So how are you dealing with this annoyance? You have better combat statistics? What is your trick to fight them?

2. SaturaxCZ

I dont fight with them, its best strategy how win a battle. +They are slow so... again no reason fight if you dont want

Dig ditch around your home + this:

Barbarians are stupid and when you open bridge it will fall on them and kill them.

3. Cetric

I also was thinking of making a ditch around my area. However, I have to stroll around in the landscape for finding resources and can be surprised there any minute. And it feels... hm... embarassing to be a landclaimer => landowner => Lord and not being able to fight with decent chance some bad guys who don't like the new neighbor.

4. Ghostickles

There are more than a few ways to dispatch the Bar bar.
    For melee I use good old fashioned hit and run.
    I get a bit of distance, charge, swing and get out of the way before they can swing back. Standing and fighting man to man usually gets me killed too; block does not seem to do anything.
    They are too slow and stupid overall to be a serious threat; except to wood. They still hate wood. You can use this.
    If you get a Bar Bar to chase you may notice he only goes so far, stops and then goes after something else, usually wood.
    Make a wood practice dummy and use it as Bar bar bait. While they hit the worthless wood you can run up from behind and pound their skull in.

5. Forcedminer

6. SaturaxCZ

Then start practic with sword, barbarians are easy to kill when you know how. ( basicaly they charge in line and have 2 animations... its not like you must think if he will hit from sides or strike, faint, parry, roll, kick, atc... :tu: )

7. Monkworks

my experience with the barbs is that their morons... running in place at your front door... probably some of the dumbest AI i have ever come across in a game. A method i use is to create a pit..the barbs will fall in 100% of the time. I have a shooting gallery just above the pit and a way to collect their drops. no their just another resource like wheat..

8. Taemien

One fix that needs to happen is barbs should not spawn on claimed land. Its a bit annoying when one (or a few) spawns inside of walls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ghostickles

This is true. Its stupidly annoying when they spawn inside the walls.
    Excuse me, did you even knock?

10. Forcedminer

do they tend to unpredictability spastically move left and right while on approach?

their ai sounds alot like the wolfs of se. :p

11. torgo

I had them on, and got very good at fighting them with a sword. But now, because they are more annoying then a challenge (and I've filled a chest with the meat they drop) I just switched them off.

12. Cetric

Any fencing techniques beyond blindly dishing out?? You do the "hit and run" tactic mentioned by @Ghosticles ?

13. torgo

I guess it's kind of hit and run. The best way to win a sword fight is to not be where the business end of the other guys' sword is. I'd usually dodge left or right. I play with a trackball, so it was pretty easy to just slide my thumb a little to re-aim and then swing. I do wish those guys would occasionally drop the chain mail shirts they wear.

Also, don't aim for the head. Aim for center of mass. There's a much better chance you'll score a hit. From what I found, it was first to 3 hits wins.

Oh, and always keep a bandage on your hot bar. If he nails you with a 2nd hit, use it and get healed up. There are some foods that help heal, too. I know bread is pretty decent, but I haven't tested the other meals too much.

14. Bumber

Hit and run, or spam attack while they're busy trying to attack the stairs to my house (which they're too dumb to simply walk up.)