Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Option to disable third-person view in game/server settings

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Kinsc, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kinsc Trainee Engineer

There have been a number of threads recommending the introduction of camera blocks and displays, and apparently these are expected to be implemented in the future at some stage. I hope this is true. (Could make detector components useful for something other than ore detectors, for one thing)

My suggestion goes hand-in-hand with that, but I don't think has been made explicit: I think it would be extremely beneficial to have "Disallow 3rd-Person View" as an option when setting up a game, so that you don't have to rely on an "honour system" to encourage players to stick to 1st-Person View. This would just be a switch in the menu alongside Thruster Damage, Auto-Healing and so on. By default, of course, third-person would be enabled as before.

Even before the camera system is introduced (and even if it never came), having the player (and other players) unable to select third-person view would give cause to think a lot more carefully about ship and station design and cockpit placement, as well as unconsciously increasing the immersive feel of playing on such a server. The following points come to mind:

# Combat will require a compromise between visibility and protection for the cockpit (and if/when camera blocks are introduced, them being damaged would have a major effect on situational awareness)
    # Reversing a ship might require shifting to a rear-facing cockpit, or just blindly hoping you don't hit anything. Similarly for docking, lining up collectors etc.
    # Damage reports require getting out of your seat and inspecting the ship by eye. It can be pretty dramatic, following a crash or firefight, to get out of a small ship and discover a wing is missing, or to walk through a large ship and realise the main corridor is open to space
    # Sneaking up on ships, large and small, is now a realistic possibility, either for going by undetected or for stealthy attacks/boarding
    # Controlling certain station operations requires moving around the station if you want to see what's going on

What do you think?

2. Digi Senior Engineer

I'd use that, +1.

The only problem I see when using this is with cockpit 1 that has a big screen in front... but this is no diferent than 'thruster damage' or 'meteors' options because both have a similar issue with existing builds making them require a rebuild.

3. Kinsc Trainee Engineer

Yes, this would make Cockpit 1 less useful, except for recharging spacesuits and as a control panel for ship systems. But that's just something to consider when designing your ship.

4. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

In small ships it would somehow make sense, in big ships no way. Even today naval ships and submarines (which are nearest to space ships) have some obsevational bridge for peacefull moving. But when it comes to combat the ship is commanded from well protected bridge deep inside the ship and commanding officers use multiple systems to know what objects are around the ship, in which direction and distance they are, at which speed they move, whats the ships momentum and direction of movement etc... Implementing such thing in game is extremely hard (but it would be awesome and I hope devs will try) but untill then the 3rd person view is a good compensation as it serves simillar purpose (actually worse because you look only in one direction while sensors show complete surrounding of the ship at once).

5. Vahnkiljoy Apprentice Engineer

I could get behind this but it would make placing refineries damn near impossible due to not being able to see anything. :crazy:

6. Kinsc Trainee Engineer

Actually, I don't see a contradiction here. In Space Engineers you could have an analogous solution. Sit in a (relatively) exposed cockpit in peacetime, then move into a better-protected/hidden one with limited visibility during combat.

Having cameras would handle this, or multiple cockpits with team-mates helping you navigate (analogous to a submarine requiring a crew). Even someone in a nearby ship giving you directions (the same as having a passenger get out of a car and direct you into a tight sparking space in real life). Part of the appeal for me is because it would be so difficult to manoeuvre a flying fortress that it becomes a trade-off.

Naturally if people don't like not having third-person view then they can play on a server that has it enabled.

7. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I'd agree with this once they have implemented the following

autopilot (for stations and the like)
    docking help
    proximity sensors
    cameras
    maybe something I forgot

8. joebopie Apprentice Engineer

I see this being a config option for dedicated servers like it is for Many other games.

9. Dragongaze13 Trainee Engineer

I agree with this idea ! (plus the camera)

10. Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

I was actually just posting stuff about this the other day in ABT's speculation thread for the latest update.

Forced first person, or rather disallowing third person as an option, would add yet another dynamic to constructing ships.

Gonna quote my posts, sorry about GIANTPOST but relevancy.

&&

11. Kinsc Trainee Engineer

Dslyecxi's 1st-v-3rd-Person discussion is something I had at the back of my mind but didn't think to cite when making the thread. Thanks for mentioning it! Anybody who hasn't seen it and isn't sure about the benefits of a Restricted View mode should give it a watch.

12. Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

LSG's heavy fighter video also has some content on the topic of first person, in the way of viewports and cockpit protection. It's a good view if you're thinking much on the topic of fighters and bombers and such.

13. mikeloeven Senior Engineer

Neat idea +1

On a second note it would also be good to have the oposite end of the spectrum addressed as well.

might also be beneficial to add a "disable camera constraints" option so that when building in creative your cams can pass through blocks / buildings easily for looking at interior designs while in a cockpit

14. Krutchen Apprentice Engineer

Agreed, Mike. That'd be nice when doing some form of megaconstructions in creative.

15. Qestroy Trainee Engineer

+1, have always wanted

16. Leonhardt Senior Engineer

Would make piloting large ships extremely tedious for a slight tingle of realism.

Sure, force it on people, but don't expect a lot of them to play with you.

17. Kinsc Trainee Engineer

The addition of the camera block in the latest patch should make this idea much more viable now.

18. Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

Personally, I always try to play in third person. Occasionally, I'll cheat a switch to 3rd person when docking and such, but if they continue to expand on the camera idea (ie, allow us to control the ship while looking through a camera) then I would probably never use third person.

19. Digi Senior Engineer

Totally a good option once camera bocks are better featured.

20. Kinsc Trainee Engineer

All my new ships will have parking proximity sensors and rear-view mirrors (cameras) thanks to the last few updates. Self-parking mechanisms are also fairly easy to build, and turrets/miners can be automatic or remotely controlled, so fewer crew required to operate a large ship.

21. drmike Apprentice Engineer

+1

I always designed my ships and stations around first person view, I used to have cockpits at each of the ships docking ports.
    With cameras and sensors as they are now, it is very easy to build ships and stations with docking guide lights. It is more fun designing and building the docking systems than actually taking the ship out to mine an asteroid.

22. Zephram Apprentice Engineer

+1

I play mostly in 3rd person, it is so much easier. Maybe too easy. Possibility to force 1st person only on some servers would mean more creative thinking is needed. And skirmished would be more about good design and engineering. With cameras, sensors and cooperation with another players. ... I like that.

23. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I believe it is finnally time to support this.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.