Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ore spots fool me continuesly!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mahtrok, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mahtrok Trainee Engineer

No they don't: If there is a spot, there is ore. It might not be exactly at the location showing up on the HUD, but its around the area, you will have to dig through the stone to find the lodes.

Just wanted to say that while reading through some complains, but i don't want to answer in every single thread the same stupid stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Burillo Junior Engineer

the ore detector should still be fixed though. it makes no sense that it's pretty accurate in space but woefully wrong on a planet. digging around on a planet isn't exactly easy as it is.

3. Mahtrok Trainee Engineer

Sure it is and the ore detector works fine for me. It shows me exactly the area where i can find what i am looking for, mostly in the center of lodes.
    I dig down by hand or ship until i reach the spot and then start drilling the walls to all sides bit by bit until i find the lore. Thats it. 100.000 Iron in 1 hour. Sure it is not as easy as it is in space, but its survival and its more realistic then ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

I do not see all the issues. I have no problem finding the ores. You dig your central shaft and then dig outwards until you find the vein.

5. Mahtrok Trainee Engineer

That's exactly what i was saying ;)

6. ChoMar Trainee Engineer

How many tests did you run? I found rare ocassions where i couldnt find the ore. Sometimes its right where the detector says. Most of the times its really close. But i had times where i simply couldnt find it. When you dig a big cavern by hand and the orespot is hanging there free-floating and you didnt find anything... that can be frustrating. I would say it is posibble that the ore is more than 30m away. Wich is a big deal in a 3d environment when you dig by hand or with only a small wobbly digger.

7. waterlimon Senior Engineer

In my experience the ore detector shows indicators all around the ore, but only some of them actually end up having any.

So I drill to indicator, nothing, drill to find new indicator, nothing, repeat until I cant find my way out of the cave system I dug out and finally I find the actual ore.

It would be ok if it was clear that the ore detector shows the general area. But it doesnt, it shows exact locations. Multiple of them (depends where you are). And when you DO find the ore, the indicator tends to be exactly where the ore is, so obviously its supposed to be exact.

Nearer to the surface it seems to work better.

8. TehGM Apprentice Engineer

Hopefully you're right, cause recently I've found 2 uranium deposits in ice lakes near my base.

9. Morrigi Apprentice Engineer

Ore detectors should either detect ore accurately or indicate that it's in a certain area, not give false readings. That's just a waste of time and patience.

10. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Same with me, i can find all the ores the Ore Detector shows me, i just need to dig a bit deeper and allways inside the darker areas on the ground.

11. Mahtrok Trainee Engineer

You'll have to be careful using the second mode on the drill while building out the cavern or you might destroy the lode while looking for it, you are right, sometimes they're more then 20 meters around the spot. We have build up 2 large mining operations on our DS exact that way and multiple smalls. As for we experience the floating objects bug it is quite hard to use machines to mine, so we have brought an atmospheric lander to the spot and then build up a large collector just below the resource spot marker. Then we start drilling the area upwards and sideways, while all chunks roll down gravity driven into the collector. Requires a bit of engenieering and peparatory work but once you find the lore its quite easy to gather large amounts in short periods by hand. And as all chunk is collected the performance issues don't appear. (Yeah, you will have to deal with all that stone somehow).

12. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

I think the problem is in terms of survival mode is when you first start out all you have is a hand drill and searching for ore is extremely cumbersome when you add in the fact that you have to dig an extra 50-100 meters around the point of detection. I believe a fix would be to have the ship based ore detector stay the same, have it give you a general idea of what's available, BUT the hand drill will give you the exact location of the ore since it has a limited range as opposed to the ship ore detector. Honestly that is a more realistic approach.

13. Mahtrok Trainee Engineer

You HAVE a large Ore detector on your Atmospheric Lander that has a huge range to find ores. Just keep looking for one. As soon as you mounted an antenna on your Lander it will show you the spot even if your not inside the cockpit. So you just have to figure out what you need to disassemble to build an antenna.

14. SillySil Trainee Engineer

The detector was telling me there's uranium in some spot. I dug my way in there with hand drill and there was nothing in the place where the icon was showing. So I dag up like 5 meters in every direction and still found nothing. And the icon disappeared. I suppose it was really tiny?

15. Azzanine Apprentice Engineer

I must be delusional but the ore detector has NEVER been accurate for me even before planets.
    Looks like strip mining is the way to go for mining. Manageing the dirt and stone will be a hassle though, we may need to make 20x20 largeblock facilities of cargo to store it. And the ratio of useable ore to junk will be like 1:300. IRL ore veins can get in the megatonnes for things like iron.

16. hit Trainee Engineer

Same thing happened to me, I was digging for a lot of time and there was nothing. So I pick some pieces at my base and plant a warhead where the uranium was supposed to be. When it blow up, I found a small layer of uranium a few meters over where I was digging

17. Pyronymer Apprentice Engineer

In my experience it is ALWAYS higher than the detector says, for shallow ores by about 5-10 meters, for deep ores by about 10-20 meters. Veins are stupid thin, sometimes like a voxel thin, but tend to be pretty wide, horizontal detection is also unreliable but digging sideways at those displacements should help.

Still, planet ore deposits and the ore detector thing both need fixing. This isn't right.

18. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

Ore detectors should behave as if they give an approximate reading. Now they suggest an exact and precise location, which is quite frustrating if you don't know that.

19. Butcher8923 Trainee Engineer

I just started a survival game, big ship detector detects 2 ores below my ship (magnesium and silicon), I digged and i've founded them although the mark wasn't really precise (~5-10 meters).

Maybe i just got lucky with those, but for now i got nothing to complain against detectors (and i actually like that ore detecting is not so precise).

20. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

You got lucky. I was digging tunnels for hours yesterday, constantly being fooled by my detectors. I finally found some by accident maybe 80 m away from the detection result and at a very different depth. I do like it too they're not super accurate, but now detectors just lie to you.

21. tachyon Trainee Engineer

For me, the ore detection positions are usually correct. However there IS an issue. The veins are sometimes invisible. Especially if they are burrowed in ice. Sometimes the seems to be rock or ice only but when I start to left click drill the detected ore type will drop. Maybe that's your problem as well...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.