Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Passenger seats

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Phonophobie, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Phonophobie Trainee Engineer

When traveling around with guys on board of my ship they sometimes find it annoying because they bounce around in the ship. This got a lot better some updates ago, but the idea of passenger seats could have still some advantages.

- When sitting in a passenger seat the space suit of this passenger will be recharged.
    - Passengers won't fly around, even when your ship has no gravity generator.
    - Instead of giving your passengers control over the ship (when using a cockpit seat), they simply can sit there and wait ;)
    - Good solution, if you're AFK but don't want to die, because of empty batteries.

This should be easy to realize by just removing the screens and the control of a cockpit seat. Low hanging fruits! ;)

2. Ver Apprentice Engineer

I think this is a good idea. It could also be viable for ships where the interior is very minimal and perhaps doesn't even incorporate a gravity generator. I support this even though I can't think of an awful lot of ways it could be used, I'm sure the playerbase will find an abundance of methods for making this useful.

3. Hatchie Apprentice Engineer

+1, even tho already suggested.

4. MrPaintdry Trainee Engineer

Whenever I've sat in a cockpit in the same ship as someone else who sat in one before me I've not been able to control the movement of the ship. Isn't this the same for everyone? Those new cockpits do the job for me

5. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

I have seen multiple threads concerning this, but I really feel like it's a feature we could do with sooner rather than later....

6. Radeth Apprentice Engineer

I think this would be a nice idea for small ships too, using that for dropships or other passenger transport (I was thinking about 2-3 blocks width X 1-2 lenght X 3-4 height seat blocks). If they make the model in some way so the back of the seat appears to be connected to the wall behind it I would be one happy space engineer!

7. dragonslife Apprentice Engineer

This guy said it all ^

8. Gusko Trainee Engineer

9. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

We need to spread the passenger seat love so the Devs can see that it means a lot to us :thumb:.

10. wankerstein Apprentice Engineer

The first person who sits in a cockpit is the pilot. Any one who enters a cockpit afterward will not be able to control the ship but will still have access to the control panel.

11. Phonophobie Trainee Engineer

I though of something similar, good idea! :)

12. Ver Apprentice Engineer

^ this ^
    We need passenger seats purely as a chair with no function other than to be sat in. Not one that makes you the pilot if you're the first to get into a chair, not one that allows you access to the ship's control panel, just a chair.

13. Phonophobie Trainee Engineer

Yeah, someone playing around with your ship systems out of boredom, while you flying the ship could become somewhat annoying.

14. BiZZ Keryear Apprentice Engineer

+1 (and too lazy to post anything else)

15. perezmcg Apprentice Engineer

Passenger seats should be made with less materials then the cockpit as well.

16. OrangeAaron Apprentice Engineer

17. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

+1 (with even less typing)

18. ttrumbauer Trainee Engineer

Love it! Great for a dropship, or escape vehicle.

19. Angry Mexicans Junior Engineer

Angry Mexicans has joined your party!

20. Lecic Apprentice Engineer

+1. I've already seen some modelers try to make some chairs (Sage's desks, for example) but some in the vanilla game would be fantastic.

21. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Good to see more people wanting this :thumb:! We wouldn't have to worry about connections issues as much if there were chairs (not falling out through bottom of ship etc). Surely they wouldn't be very hard to add, they just need a simple chair model and to alter the animation slightly of the current sitting position, the FINISHED. Nah I'm sure it would be a bit harder than that ;).

22. TheEndersWAR Apprentice Engineer

23. Volthorne Apprentice Engineer

While everyone is waiting for a feature that probably won't be implemented very soon (conveyors, wheels, factions and large ship weapons come to mind for topping the "important stuff" list), you can effectively simulate a passenger seat by attaching the cockpit of your choice to a powered-off rotor (which is obviously sunken into the floor). This has the added benefit of the captain being able to torture his passengers, should they utter "are we there yet?" one too many times.

24. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

This might be a stupid question, but; since all asteroids in the current game are fairly close to eachother (max 2 minutes of flying, even with just the jetpack) then where exactly are you flying which is so far away that you actually need passenger seats?

By the time someone gets to your ship and everyone is on board, you could already have jetpack'd over yourself in less time.

I just don't see what purpose a space-bus will have in the current state of the game where everything is within 'walking distance'

What am I missing?

25. HunterX Apprentice Engineer

Your Missing, Boarding Parties and Hostile Takeovers, in which case flying in just your jetpack is suicide.

26. Terminal_6 Trainee Engineer

For a seat model, you can break down the large ship cockpit a bit, maybe have a glass shield for protection.
    As for size, I would think the seat would be a 3 x 4 x 3 would have to work (small ship), since you have to squeeze a player model in there.

27. Leonhardt Senior Engineer

Probably shoulda brought this up earlier.
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/component-suggestion-passenger-grab-bars-anchors-seats-etc-6672828?pid=1282376811#post1282376811

Been posted already, bud.

28. TodesRitter Moderator

-closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.