Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

PCU/player & Factions on multiplayer servers

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Raven Catcher, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Raven Catcher Trainee Engineer

When on a server that limits PCU per player, if you join a faction can ships or bases go beyond the PCU/player limit because other faction members are adding to the ship or base and using up their own PCU?
    For example:
    Let's say we're on a Keen server that has 18000 PCU per player. I join a faction and build a large ship that eats up all 18000 of my PCU. Can other faction members, who have not reached their PCU limit, now build onto the ship and go beyond the 18000 limit for that particular item? Thus, depending on the number of faction members, you potentially could have a very massive capital ship for your faction?

2. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Yes, the last time I tried this it worked that way, player can add to ships, but also remotely remove parts. What wonders me is how the seting PER_FACTION und GLOBALLY in the server setup actually works. Does PER_FACTION mean that the whole PCU is divided to all faction members or is the PCU amount of each member accumulated in a Pool every factionmember can use. And GLOBALLY, is that all that is and the players can use PCU as long as there are some left?

3. Raven Catcher Trainee Engineer

Not sure about the Per_faction option but I do know that the GLOBAL PCU option means all players can build as much as they want until this global limit is reached. The problem with servers using the Global option is that you can 1 player with hundreds of rocket launchers (~875 PCU each if I remember correctly) and soak up the PCU quite rapidly. If the limit is reached then you have to wait for others to delete things before you can build.

4. Isaax Trainee Engineer

yes you can add to grid but a good server would have max grid limit on aswell. To stop this kind of abuse

5. 50pc_B_Man Trainee Engineer

I am new to this forum so I dont know when my first post (this post) will be approved however I am looking for some guidance on setting the PCU and block limits on my server. I am renting a server at the moment as opposed to running a dedicated on my own machine.

Today, I tried to add per_player to my sandbox.sbc and I had set the PCU limit to 200000. There are only two people on my server at the moment and I added up my PCU in the info tab and my buddy added up his. Combined we have about 60k PCU. However, when i tried to build something it said i hit my limit. I ultimately changed it back to globally and had to go to work.

So I am here now, looking for information on settings and what not. Excuse me in advance if there is some mega thread already out there on this forum with the information regarding PCU settings, i haven't found it yet.

Thanks.

6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@50pc_B_Man How about block limits? You may have your block limit set too low.

7. 50pc_B_Man Trainee Engineer

This is what I currently have.....

<MaxBlocksPerPlayer>100000</MaxBlocksPerPlayer>
    <TotalPCU>200000</TotalPCU>
    <MaxFactionsCount>0</MaxFactionsCount>
    <BlockLimitsEnabled>GLOBALLY</BlockLimitsEnabled>

When I changed from GLOBALLY to PER_PLAYER, I immediately got the "PCU Limit Reached. So, I am trying to figure out which lines actually do what.

For example, I have built a small base on each planet, one mining ship, two space ships (battleship type), a couple relay satellites and a moon base. In total, i have about 36,500 PCU and 6808 Blocks used. I currently have 10 persons server and I am playing with PCU to see if any, performance issues.

So, what is the correct way to set the PCU count per player to say 30k? And why, if I change it to (per_player)....

<MaxBlocksPerPlayer>100000</MaxBlocksPerPlayer>
    <TotalPCU>200000</TotalPCU>
    <MaxFactionsCount>0</MaxFactionsCount>
    <BlockLimitsEnabled>PER_PLAYER</BlockLimitsEnabled>

do i get the pcu limit reached when there are only two people on the server whose combined total PCU is around 60k? I am thinking that the <BlockLimitsEnabled> line that I am changing might only pertain to "Blocks" rather than PCU, but I dont see another line where you would change it to per_player to limit PCU.

Thanks.
    --- Automerge ---

EDIT 1/31/2019

Tonight I went to bed and consulted the oracle (google) once again and it dawned on my how reading is fundamental.

As some sort of E-Murphy's Law, and after looking for about a week, I RE-read a Reddit post slowly and correctly. In fact, while i misread the Reddit post several times before, it was still the best source I have yet to find on the topic.

I see now that when you change it to PER_PLAYER, it freaking divides the total PCU by the number of people your server is set to host. How could I be so silly?

My server is 10, so I have total PCU set to 500000 and set up PER_PLAYER and now it works. Each player is only allowed to have 50k of PCU.

Just wanted to share in case someone else get confused or is learning like me.

Credit to Gatonom on Reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengineers/comments/90cug2/setting_pcu_limits_and_other_new_features/

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.