Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Physics issues update 101

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jan.Nekvapil, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

Hi guys,
    I would like you to compile the worst physics issues here.
    I went through some posts but they usually covered everything from physics through game logic and render and often in vague way of "somethings wrong".

So, please only what you think is physics related (after last update I expect it to be related to Landing Gears and ship destruction in all shapes and variations) and with some kind of deeper explanation when and how the issue happened with blueprint/save provided.

Sorry for the troubles update 101 brought but if you hold tight and help us catch those pesky bugs I believe you will find out how marvelous it is :)

2. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Hey man, look what i can haha
    I landed small ship on large ship and landing gear is locked
    Now i can fly through the enemy :pbjt:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Echillion Senior Engineer

Connectors aren't connecting,when a small grid is within a bounding box of a large grid it doesn't move.
    64 bit version small to small ship connectors on DS

4. Vuelhering Trainee Engineer

I had a small ship with an autolocking landing gear that kept locking on top of a large ship... but was not close enough for it to lock. I think it was on a sloped armor block.

Perhaps the bounding box was wrong? This could easily cause issues that look like physics issues. I will try to recreate.

One thing I've finding is massive damage to small ships on seemingly minor collisions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

^^ Thats the kind of report that tells us there is a bug but does not help at all fixing it.
    Here is what I just did. I took a small ship and tried to lock LGs to big ship several times and it locked, stayed there, no way the small ship moves with the large one so please elaborate a bit Lt.Yankee

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Idk what to say, its...Abrakadabra thing. I was in the game, played few minutes, then i switched to windowed mode from fullscreen (Alt+Enter doesnt work) so i can play a little bit on forum.
    When i came back to real stuff. switched back to fullscreen i landed and locked small ship and shit start to happen.Thats all details.

7. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cannot reproduce. This is on DS and one of the fighters is even locked to the big ship... Can you share the world that you have this trouble in after loading.

8. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

Can you reproduce this issue or it just happened once after this time off game? If the second there is low chance on fixing that.

9. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Jan, try to dissable distructible blocks and then lock with landing gear on something else like another ship.Then try to destroy that ship. Pirate weapons cannot destroy it, only your impact will.

Ok i go and try it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  10. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

Okay that sounds like some important details. Anything that isnt default in quickstart is an important thing to mention. :)
    So the issue is you lock to undestructible ship then destroy it underneath you somehow and theeen it happens.

11. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

It happened again
    [​IMG]
    I just landed on the airlock doors on blue ship. Then blue ship will fly through the small ship

12. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

i must make a video there is more going on here lol

13. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

This was actually way to reproduce the ghost ship issue. Fixed. Thanks a lot!

14. OI Steven Trainee Engineer

Rotor explodes on small ship when the grid is edited, on DS.

1. Make any kind of ship.
    2. Place small rotor on ship (1x2 block version).
    3. Place large reactor on the rotor.
    4. Change rotor velocity to 5.
    5. Add any type of block to any part of the ship.
    6. Watch it blow up.

15. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

16. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Cant crash small ship but big one yes

17. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The physics of connectors may have changed. In 1.101, connector attraction force (before locking, i.e. yellow ring) grows stronger as the pair of connectors get further apart. This can be seen if you slowly increase thruster override on a small ship attracted to a station/massive ship connector. You will see that the small ship can't escape, and will bounce back like on an invisible spring. This stronger force at a distance also causes approaching ships to violently snap towards the connector and suffer collision damage. The connector force also grows stronger as the mass of the ships increases - it is more like a prescribed acceleration than a force.

I noticed that the break impulse was changed again, to 36800 OR ship mass divided by 30, whichever is greater. Stations probably don't benefit from the increased strength, no matter how massive, because they don't have enabled physics.

I don't understand how landing gear were changed - I know that they are previously a Havok "Fixed Constraint", but now there is something about "weld groups"?

Did you know that if you reduce the deformation ratio in cubeblocks.sbc for landing gear, they become less explosion prone? IIRC small ship landing gear have a worse deformation ratio (1.0) than light small ship armor (0.32).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

18. BrainWeasel Trainee Engineer

19. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

@Lt.Yankee: Yep found something. Dont know if exactly this since it crashed here ^_^
    @OI Steven: Should get to it soon
    @Arcturus: Attaching LG now makes single rigid body out of connected things thats what hides behind the "welding". Unfortunately visual explanation of this didnt made it to update vid.Will check whats it about the connectors but nothing should have changed *puzzled*

20. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

@Lt. Yankee : does this look like a fix? :)
    [​IMG]
    the fighter lg next to crosshair was attached to the top of airtight hangar doors

@BrainWeasel : I think I ve seen this but we couldnt possible reproduce. Would you mind sharing the world (in PM if you want) that would help a lot!

21. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

About connectors,when u lock with small ship,everything is fine maybe because its light weight.When u lock small ship with large ship,then problem occure like in video.

22. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

@OI Steven : Sorry cannot reproduce
    [​IMG]
    Its on DS, rotor is spining there are even LGs on both ship and reactor grid and building does nothing.
    Do you have a world that I could load place a block and reproduce?

23. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

@Lt. Yankee : Whats thew problem in the first vid? That it "dances" around not holding tight? Its the same issue LGs had and should be fixed in following updates but right now no.1 is fix that pile of bugs we spilled.

24. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Fix?? If he was attached, why is everything destroyed? I dissabled distructible blocks option...

25. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Yes it is.
    Alrighty then.

26. Arcturus Senior Engineer

[​IMG]
    Small ship mass 8316 kg => need a bit under 72 kN thrust to escape using a direct pull
    Small ship mass 32333 kg => need a bit under 288 kN thrust to escape using a direct pull
    This suggests that the connector is now mandating a 8.5 m/s2 acceleration. It wasn't this hard to escape in 1.100

27. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

@Lt. Yankee : ah I forgot to set them undestructible. never used that feature :p :D

28. Lt. Yankee Apprentice Engineer

Well,logic say u must because of game status. Remember,even if that option is OFF u can still smash large ship.

29. Jan.Nekvapil Developer Staff

Wow you actually found a root of many evils that are happening around the hangar doors, fixing like crazy.
    I dont understand the last message? :confused:

30. BrainWeasel Trainee Engineer

Sure, can you PM me instructions on how to do that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.