Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Physics

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Tian, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tian Trainee Engineer

Hi, I wanted to discuss about physics in the game. As far as its cool in single player how everything floats around in random directions that its really painfull in multiplayer... Every client has to synchronize every flying piece. I dont think its a good solution and when making a game with multiplayer in mind we need to sacrifice some physics.
    Also when mining every piece is flying away and its hard to harvest everything :p (would be simpler if the whole ore was gathered in the inventory?) I wouldnt mind that much but this physics borne server.
    Unless you devs have some really good solution to fix this problem :)

2. radam Senior Engineer

Yes Im also not sure where physics is done, on every pc or just one. Then synchronisation is harder if people from US and EU are playing together...

Pressing T while mining allows you to collect some rocks the moment they spawn, and using a gravity generator on the ship you start with help aswell. But Id grind parts of the ship so that I could make a small drilling ship asap. make sure to use 2 rotated drills, as in placing one, and rotating the other 180 degrees.

3. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

The idea is to 'engineer' a system that collects all the debris, like a gravity generator and a few blocks to barricade it from rolling off, easier to collect that way.
    It would be easier if they implemented a radius, like if any ore was within 1m it automatically collects in your inventory.

4. radam Senior Engineer

You do know that atm all drills destroy rocks, not collect them. Which basically is destroying any rocks made by small ship drills.

5. maxb0mb Trainee Engineer

Well, the whole thing about the multiplayer seems like a bigger deal to me. It is no easy task to synchronize all that, but it takes up a lot of processing power just for a few objects, let alone 300 floating oars.

6. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

eh ? My ship drills collect fine so does my hand drill, what gives ?
    Theres waste but they do collect.

7. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

8. fobfromgermany Trainee Engineer

afaik hand drill just destroys but the small ship drills gathers more than half

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.