Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Piracy Storytime

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Patriarch, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

Alright fellow pirates, my host server is down, and I got time to kill. Tell me about your favorite engagements on servers, and how they went down!

2. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

I'll go ahead and start.

On our server, we had this kid named Madspy. Madspy wasn't the brightest light on the Christmas tree, but he constantly provided hilarity in the chat channel due to his constant complaining of minuscule issues. I took out the poor guy's base a few weeks prior, a hollowed out asteroid, and he learned his lesson by building in deep space. We'll get back to him later.
    A few weeks ago, I was patrolling an asteroid sector with my troopship, a nimble large ship built for spawning in clanmates upon trouble. I buzzed a roid waiting for my turrets to pick up internal bases, when upon passing the other side, I was lit up by weapons fire. Eager for a fight, I rolled my ship's turrets to bear, and alerted my buddies for a fight. I kept up my transversal velocity, and managed to lay eyes on a long dark ship partially hidden inside a bored out asteroid. After a few seconds of fire, I managed to knock out the guns on the stationary ship, and I stopped to let my boarding team spawn onboard.
    I grabbed my rifle and a few mags from the ammo container onboard, and I had a friend stick around the transport in case we started getting trouble. The ship wasn't much compared to the large ships you would see in creative. Light armor, a couple of holes punched in from turret fire, and it looked like it had a few noobship components attached. However, I saw an inner aesthetic that was begging to be released. We ground open the top, only to have the first boarder get shot in the face with rifle fire. I poked my head over briefly to see an interior turret, as well as an astronaut in blue holding a rifle. It appears we had a pilot still inside!
    I jetpacked over to where the interior turret was attached to, and ground down the block while I was covered. As soon as I heard the familiar "Ping!" of the turret detaching, I switched to my rifle, and opened up on the poor victim. The ship looks like it's ours! I jumped inside as fast as I could, and ran for his medbay. I managed to grind it down, and welded it back to my ownership, capping the crucial ship part. Afterwards, the rest was easy; grind the cockpit, gain access, get out, and grind the rest to gain control to bring home. Best part of it was, I didn't notice the chat going on in the background until I was told about it. Apparently we found Madspy's ship. The poor guy was crying about it the entire fight, when he should have focused on escaping.

An hour or two later, I repaired the ship, cut the noobship components off, added more guns, and refitted it to my own specific needs. With a bit of rifle fire and a bit of celebration, I rolled out our new prowler from our shipyards- The Sodom and Gomorrah.

"Everywhere I go, I leave fire and brimstone behind me."

[​IMG]

3. Aggressive Salmon Trainee Engineer

You, sir, are terrifying

I wouldn't want to run into you in a dark alleyway.

4. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take that as a compliment, haha. It just seems like most groups around here are mostly peaceful. Where's the sense of combat? The pvp?
    I have a few other stories, if ya'll want them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  5. NathanTheSpaceSurvivor Apprentice Engineer

My ship, the Phoenix, is around 75x10x20, and handles like a fighter - due to my combination of modules built by me (A module just filled with gyros, one with solar panels), and modules build by Keen (Blueprints system was used to build it. I also mounted around 12 rocket launchers on the front, because missiles are deadly. I can unload destruction on a base (1000m rocket range limit) while not being shot (800m turret limit). And this goes very fast too.

Be careful not to meet me in a creative server with copy/paste enabled. Fortunately I don't play MP. I will start if any of my friends starts playing SE

Now my turn on stories, this time with cargo ships and explosives.

So, I went out with my new fighter to get myself a mining carriage to scrap. All was good until the gatling hit my cockpit, so I started unloadking rockets on the ship, a few of which took out the turret, but by the time that happened, my cockpit was dead. I quickly build a rescue ship using the torpedo hull set, and mounted some weapons on it. Hopefully the fighter's beacon - despite being totally exposed to gatling fire - didn't take a single shot, mostly because it was on the back of the ship. So, I took my retriever and tried to get that. Locking onto it was painful, but once done I triedto get it home. It was impossible to maneuver so I turned on my extra gyros stuck on right for that purpose, I got it to base. I only had 1 gear clamped to it, and on the retriever i had 3 total, so I unlocked, carefully trying to get them all locked. Doing maneuvers I bumped into the ship, sending it away into infinity. By that time I already had ground the beacon and reactor away.

Mission result: Total fail

6. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Not too many PVP on the current server I run on at least not with my faction, but we're the largest and have a active charted with other faction to leave us alone. We do have bit of PVP but it's mainly between smaller factions. I guess no one likes trying to take on the 4 to 5 large gun ships on, plus the floating turrents.

I'm think my faction will start more active PVP soon since we're getting rather large and we now have more man power on at one time to have some real fun PVP'ing. I know for a fact that one small faction is getting our turf and has not made contact with us yet. To my faction mates and myself that means you want us to turn you in to space dust, so it's just a matter of time.

7. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

I know what you mean. Our current server is in a quasi-cold war state. Aside from my occasional purge and raids, my faction has me on a leash. They want me to keep away from certain sectors of the map, and let some of their friends build up. I even had a few of my buddies come onto my server with the challenge of fighting me. I guess the only thing I can do now is just keep honing my craft and making new and exotic counters to larger and deadlier ships. I'm developing a gravity cannon weapon for fighting capital ships and stations, but the only targets I have are what I'm not allowed to engage.

8. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

I know what you mean. Thankfully I'm one of the leaders on my faction so I can and do let my faction member fight other factions, as long as we don't have an active peace with them. As our sever player count has been growing we've had new players coming in and moving in to areas they're not cleared for so we've had a lot of new players killed cause they didn't open com's with someone in our faction.

Had one yesterday I was out in my hanger ship checking out a new rock for a new base one of our other faction leaders had found. When I got the help call from the main base. I turned my ship around so fast I ripped off the new rear thruster I was trying to install. But I bee lined it over the main station. Only to find the player tucked tail and ran, he was in such a rush to get away that he hopped out of his ship and jetted away by suit cause it was faster. Can't blame him he wouldn't have made it if he used his ship it was really slow.

I blame the fact that the faction member called for help to me directly. I'm betting if he didn't I would have at least got a little bit of a fight. I'm the crazy guy that if you cross me I'll run my ship in to your just to make a hole so I can get in and shot you myself, and yes I do this in survival. Unlike your faction leader I'm fine with other going out and attacking player right off, as long as it's not a faction we have peace with, all others are far game. I'm of the mind if a faction has not made it clear they want peace with us they're asking for war. Most of the time I'm right and after we kill a few people and blow up or take a few ships, they're more then happy to open up peace talks.

9. Haunty Apprentice Engineer

I played a couple PVP servers solo, but I kept getting attacked when I was offline so I couldn't get started. Maybe if I join a faction later I'll get back into it.

10. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

That how it work on the server I play on. If you don't join a faction your open to attack from everyone. It's known that if you cross one person in a faction you cross them all.

The only other way to start in a PVP world is to be out in the middle of no were when your logged out. Even if you do join a faction there is still a chance you stuff my get jacked or blown up. It really depends on the number of people in your faction and how often someone logs in. The more the better, normally.

11. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

Yeah, the best advice I can give to folks starting out is to never build in asteroids, and to always base up in deep space. I've only found two bases, and both were due to them giving away their location via accidentally flipping an antenna to infinite, or mentioning the area they operate. Our faction is almost done with our capital ship program, and we're gonna roll that out as a secondary base.
    It's not much compared to the ships folks make in creative, but in survival MP, it's huge.
    [​IMG]

12. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

I've never really been impressed with what people can to in creative. Anyone can make a large ship in creative it's easy. No looking for ore, no dealing with damage from poorly placed rotors or pistons and no dealing with other players taking your stuff.

13. lmakeppelave Trainee Engineer

Shots Fired

3 Major Factions to begin with and about a dozen minor. Eventually #2 and #3 merged into a single faction to take on xPx The Pirates. The above videos cover the battle that ensued after we located their main shipyard. Survival / MP / No Rules

14. Echillion Senior Engineer

Nice ship Patriarch :)

15. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

I like it! That's the sort of fighting I love.

@Echillion, thanks. It's still about 80% completed, but we're looking to create a few more ships of it's size to scatter across the map. Here's an album our shipwright made giving a little tour of it.
    http://imgur.com/a/GgXEA#0

16. Echillion Senior Engineer

Thanks Patriarch :)

Edit: after seeing the pics I'll take that back its Brilliant *starts bowing - "I'm not worthy"* :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  17. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

It looks really awesome, but it's fitted as a mobile base, not for war, isn't it?
    Because otherwise one wouldn't build a bridge that can be destroyed by a fighter crashing in it :D
    Or did you add shutters to the bridge?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  18. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

Our faction decided for a bit of operational security when we released the album. It's not designed for war, but we got a few tricks aboard. Secondary and tertiary bridges, redundancy across the board, as well as weapons not shown in the album.

19. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

Yea thought about that, so the big bridge is mostly a dummy?
    Anyway, may I ask on what server you guys play? after reading your stories me and some friends would like to play with ya.

20. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

Sure, we could always use more active factions!
    PVP server TEST Engineers ( 198.12.70.164:27065 )
    We also have a subreddit @ www.reddit.com/r/testengineers

21. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

Ah nice!, found it with the steam server browser but it has currently the old version on it, will gladly try it out when it's updated :) See ya inGame!

22. lmakeppelave Trainee Engineer

I loved the ship before I saw the bumper plate, now I just want to marry it

23. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

Alrighty, another storytime. The case of the hardy Gladius.
    We have a frontline fighting ship called Gladius. It's a corvette size ship, mass producible, modular, and really hard to kill. I mean, you should shear the stupid thing in half, slap a cockpit on, and fly the other half home. We also had a fellow who we'll call "Paws". Now paws helped me develop the Gladius system, but he's also a little careless with our munitions. One such raid, we were using my Special Operations Gladius, a personally tricked out system. Multiple seats, internal spawn points, Ewar, and a few other tricks up it's sleeves.
    Anyway, we found the base of a guy named Shrek. He was floating in deep space with an antenna running when Shrek said "Gladius S-0, turn back now."
    Paws said back "Oh yeah, I'll turn back, how far away are you?"
    "8KM, turn back now." Shrek replied.
    You've got to be kidding me. I spawn in, switch seats with him, and he slaves controls to weapons and the missile racks at the front of the ship. I'll fly, he controls the fire. After two or three minutes, we see a big floating box in space. Shrek's station. I up the transversal velocity, and prepare to engage. Guns and missiles fly at us, but I rotate and mitigate damage, only taking minor damage. I pop open the side doors, and request that our other member online spawn in and attempt to board. He pops in, and flies out, heading for the base while we draw the fire.
    "Paws, I need you to open this door." our squadmate requests. There's a heavy armor block layer in the way of his boarding, so he wants a missile blown into it's side.
    "Stand by, wait for velocity to drop so you can fire." I reply, switching on the dampeners and rotating for a shot. Everyone knows that missiles are horribly unstable in multiplayer, and also while moving. Apparently, Paws has forgotten this.
    "Firing." *BOOM!* Debris and bits of armor fly away from the Gladius, shearing off a good 30 percent of the front. We must have taken a hit from a missile. I twirl away from the dwindling fire, and try to avoid turret fire in the exposed components.
    "I'm gonna keep moving, you're on your own." I said, cursing under my own breath. We finally manage to take out the turrets, and Paws disembarks to join the boarding. I sit aboard and assess the damage. Forward missile pods are gone, heavy armor reinforcement, one thruster direction, and probably a gyroscope and reactor. It'll be an hour in drydock, but it's not fatal.
    We eventually take the station, and Shrek ragequits. We attach a merge block to the Gladius, and tow the station home. On the way back, I hear a small remark from Paws.
    "Patriarch. I blew up the Gladius."
    "Guess who's buffing out the dents?"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  24. Echillion Senior Engineer

Great story :)

25. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

Sadly we've had a world reset on my server so no hunting each other down till we get built back up. No sport in taking on undefended bases with just the basics on it. I'm stuck waiting and building while the prizes fatten up. It was always the worst part of resetting the world. I guess there is always NPC ships to pass the time.

26. jlg81 Trainee Engineer

yeah you know the only ones able to build capital ships is you guys, cus you take out every one else when they are not home, we all know se tech sucks currently, there isnt even a real reason to build defenses because the suite is all you need, and the grinder is unbeatable, besides that you pirates just attack when people are not home, what would be impressive is if you showed up when they are home, nuke some thing and then demand resources or services, but you are just a more evolved troll doing rollplay grieving, just some thing to keep in mind

27. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

I don't take ships or station that can be active but no one is home to defend them, no fun in it for me. I do attack other ship and station of player that do though. But I'm still counted as a pirate and I'm fine with that. I have taken ship and station that don't look to be active anymore, figure waste not want not.

Also I'll give warning and demand payment to be left alone. Most were willing to pay up the little supplies I asked from them. This also put them in my good graces so if another pirate attacks them it's in my best interest to help defend them. It’s a win, win for me anyways. If a kill off the other pirate I get his ship and supplies and the other player is normally happy to give me a little more. If I just drive them off the other player is still happy to give me supplies and most likely will give me more next time I ask for it. In the end the combat does no damage to my supplies.
    While I don’t count this a pirate story cause it was just a sad little fight. I was floating around looking over the area I work seeing if any new station ship pop up (that new antenna install ping is all I need to find people most of the time) while moving around between station of people I had dealings with, I noted one was being attacked by a sad and pathetic small ship. The player had run the defense guns out of ammo and was not happily grinding on the door to the station. He was so busy grinding away he didn’t see my ship pull up behind him. I locked his little ship to my large one with my landing gear hopped out and shot him with a rifle (this was be for you could control turrets). As he was raging in the chat the owner of the station logged in to find my ship looming over his station and the other player using all kind of four letter words at me for shooting him, after a couple minutes the player raged quit and stopped filling the chat so I could explain to the station owner what happened. Needless to say the station owner was happy to give me a little ore for my troubles, and I flew off with a new little ship to grind up and a little more ore then I started with, and all it cost me was a little rifle ammo.
    This is counted as an act of piracy I shot another player and took his stuff. I might be a pirate but I’m not a monster.

28. Echillion Senior Engineer

This^ sounds more like Eve or Astro Empires? But then I'm just a visitor around here atm.

29. Patriarch Trainee Engineer

We actually have another faction we leave alone. It's a loner who set up a superheavy carrier. He has the audacity to place it in the asteroids. My bosses keep me on a leash, but the stories I hear from that sector is insane.

30. goduranus Junior Engineer

Sounds like a fun pvp server, does it use mods? Are the factions accepting? Can I join?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.