Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Planets are dark

Discussion in 'General' started by Dirktooth, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dirktooth Apprentice Engineer

Shoudent there be moon light, at least? Looks like im gonna need a freaking crap ton of lights to be able to see to even make ships at night.

What happened to natural night light? Moon light?

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

due to the absence of widespread civilization, there is not much light pollution to scatter ambient light. as for why there are very few stars and no moonlight even in the presence of a moon, well, that is a bit bad
    ;)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pyronymer Apprentice Engineer

It's unclear to me at this stage whether it's that dark on planets right now because lighting in the game engine has been wildly changeable and generally terrible from patch to patch forever now, or whether pro-masochism/anti-fun lobby on these forums has actually managed to prank the developers into believing the player base genuinely wants to spend 1/2 of all play time on planets staring at a pitch black screen.

Hopefully it's not deliberate and one day we will either get acceptable ambient lighting or acceptable artificial lighting options. Right now... night time is basically downtime.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  4. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

... and full of terror?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Dirktooth Apprentice Engineer

Ya i have it on 8 hour cycle, so i have a long freaking down time. Which sucks. Im on a fairly new map with little to nothing built, so i dont even have my own lighting.

im thinking of making a fleet of battery powered cars that are light racks so i can park them and light up what im doing. Sheesh this sucks.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Late Late x 1
  6. mhalpern Senior Engineer

to me its planing time- during the day if I don't already have something fudged up to fix I will inevitably fudge something up,

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Devon_v Senior Engineer

They'll likely implement moonlight later on. Obviously the distances involved are too great for ambient occlusion to do it, but planets shouldn't have built in moonlight since they might not have a moon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Logi Apprentice Engineer

Well I happen to enjoy these dark nights, why?

1) Flying/driving in dark adds extra danger and excitement and you generally need to fly/drive more cautiously than during day.
    2) Lights have actual function. Lighting up your base can't be that hard? If you can't do anything during night then light up your base, there! Now you have something to do during nights.
    3) Dark nights make the game more scarier. With Sabiroids even more so.
    4) If you lit up your outposts and watch it from a far during night it looks so cool and atmospheric. Nothing like driving back to your base during night and seeing the lights from a distance.

I wouldn't mind an option to choose from though. So us "anti-fun masochists" could still keep on enjoying our "missery".

I would just really like to know what's so big deal about dark nights for some of you? I haven't had a single problem dealing with it, nor downtime during nights.

Are you playing in a brightly lit room with sun galring at you screen? Do you have some eye related problems? Is there some problems with your screen? Or is it just because before lights were useless you don't even want to build them now that they have some function, even if that "downtime" during night would be the perfect moment to do so.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 2
  9. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

I think night time should be dark enough to pose a challenge, and to force creations of solutions to solve it. At the current state a simple light truck doesnt cut it and wandering about in the base looking for something to do is boring.(if a metal glut is possible on planets i suppose I could build in a hanger, but itll be a while before that will happen in my world so as some mentioned im basically staring at the screen.)
    Otoh making things too visible at night spoils the effect of being night time.

Even making lunar cycles in the style of the sun gets a bit iffy, because you could make a planet without a moon,or a moon that would be far away and thus just a speck in the sky and have it suddenly magnified at night, and since space travel is still encouraged naturally the moon would have to fade out in a nonsensical way because the actual object if it exists doesnt actually orbit, thus making the transition odd.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Azzanine Apprentice Engineer

Seeing though moons are static are you even on the side of the planet that has the moon? You must know how fucking dark it gets on a really waxing moon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Ceztu Apprentice Engineer

Personally, I love the dark nights. They are atmospheric and a bit challanging, plus you need to put a bit more thought about lighting than in space. The only thing I would like to see in the future is better spotlights. Their range currently is quite pittyful.

• Agree Agree x 9
  12. blizzerd Apprentice Engineer

place some inside lights, they work great as ambient illuminators

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Starforge Trainee Engineer

The night is TOO dark. It shouldn't be much brighter... I actually hate it when games make it unrealistically bright at night. That rarely happens (unless you have a full moon etc). But its just a bit TOO dark right now. Without lights you can't see ANYTHING. I mean go walk around at night when there's SNOW on the ground... even without a full moon you get quite a bit of light once your eyes adjust. In Space Engineers.... snow on the ground.. still darker then hell.

Just a hair brighter Keen.. just a hair. For the love of god... just hair brighter! :p

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

There's quite a few points really. If it really disturbs you, I believe where you settle down on the planet has an affect on the day night cycle. I.e. You can have permanent day light or permanent night by settling at a "pole".
    I quite like having a need for lighting, things look cooler when spot lit lol.

And well, there are a few things that prevent planets being fully immersive at this stage. All sort of connected. Atmosphere implies aerodynamics should be a thing, which it blatantly isn't at the moment. Leading on from that is weather which would/should have a direct relation on ambient light at the surface.
    There should be a bit of background star light, and reflected light from the moon. But the moon(or moons, if you have them) doesn't move, so that makes it odd again.

15. Casazzo Trainee Engineer

1.) Place "Interior Light" (costs only 1 Construction Component each) on ever other or 3rd tile.
    2.) Go to the "Interior light" Settings and change their radius and falloff to max. Reduce Brightness to your liking.
    3.) Profit.

I play with a 24h day-cycle .... that's a long dark night without serious lighting.

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. RIPerKilla Apprentice Engineer

It seems that all these complaining about "too dark" night never played ArmA 2-3(or any DayZ mod for them). There's a dark nights, yeah. And most of the time you have NOTHING to do with it.

In SE you have freakin bright flash light and you can build a ton of maximum cheap interior light to see anything anywhere. Have no lights? Enjoy seeing only beautiful skybox and bunch of trees. Interior lights and spotlights finally HAVE USE for them and it's cool.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

It's dark so I placed a few spot lights here and there, I liked it, instead of altering the darkness settings I think they should allow spotlights and interior lights to act over a greater distance.

I think it adds to the ambiance.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I'm always forced to wonder if these people remember they have a built-in flashlight in their suit...

I mean, if you're flying very high up, sure, your light or the ship lights wont illuminate much... but that makes complete sense. Planets are much more land-based (or at least, encourage low-altitude operations), in which case just load your ships and facilities up with lights. Built spotlights on rotor arms!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Foxhound71 Apprentice Engineer

It's great that nights are so dark. We do need better lights though. Spotlights are especially useless atm compared to the suit's flash light...

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I second that DayZ comment about night times. I enjoy driving back from a days minimg in the hills to my outpost. Rotating spotlights on a stand one it for me. Love night driving. You have no idea whats up ahead. There's been the odd time i've got out the cab to have a look at what's in front in the pitch black. Very very excitig and eery...

21. Reho Trainee Engineer

Agreed to most peeps here. We need more range on spotlights and interior lights!

• Agree Agree x 5
  22. vymasteny_pankac Apprentice Engineer

c'mon guys, without full moon up in the sky and human light pollution the nights would be pitch black as in the game and how naturally would be. also spot lights, just walk the distance they can illuminate, they shoot light far enough, it just doesn't appear like that because distances and scale of surrounding is so huge. it would be pretty ridiculous to have light illuminate hills and stuff 1k away, or if so at a great energy expense which would be somewhat acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Burillo Junior Engineer

not if you have an atmosphere. i've been to places on earth where there's no light pollution whatsoever for miles around you, and happened to be there on a new moon (so no reflected light coming from it at all). i could still pick out stuff in the darkness. not a lot, granted, but it wasn't pitch black - i could still see the ground, the trees around me, and about 10-15 meters worth of surroundings. if you were on a dark side of the moon and there wasn't any celestial bodies reflecting some light towards you - yeah, it would have been very dark. but atmosphere itself does scatter light from the sun even if you're on the opposite side of the planet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  25. vymasteny_pankac Apprentice Engineer

sure atmosphere scatters light and there is tiny amount of light present and your eyes adapt to it so you can see, but i think the light situation at the moment is far better from making the game look dull at night. it was just my reaction to comments above as they simply reminded me of complaints on our server "refinery is too slow at 1x" and so. making the game easy would kill the experience of playing this type of survival/construction game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Couldnt agree more.

• Like Like x 2
  27. noxLP Junior Engineer

I usually agree with challenges and i agree that nights have to be dark, but not so dark as they are right now, as @Burillo said if you are in a planet with atmosphere there is allways SOME light, while your eyes are not accustomed that is pitch black, but after a while you can see something, that is until they implement weather if they implement it.

So, this:

28. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

Starlight alone (excluding the Sun) is just not enough for our eyes to see in the dark.

It would be cool to have realistic moonlight tho. :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  29. noxLP Junior Engineer

You know, i was thinking of opening a thread called "What happened with the clair de lune?".

It's not only stars, moon and atmosphere allways reflect some sunlight unless you have a lot of clouds, of course it's not the same as full moon and if you go out from a lighter site, even a camp fire, it's pitch black until eyes get accostumed, but after a while you see something...

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. mhalpern Senior Engineer

what I might do is change the day length to 20min that seems like a good length....

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.