Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

PLANETS! & Water ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Avaruusmies, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah. That flying "submarine" that went down six feet. You can do that with a Cessna 150. After 50 years no production model. If Reid had made it to go 500 feet underwater it wouldn't fly. I stand by my claim.
    There's nothing special about those. They are not launched from great depth. The rocket motors don't activate until they clear the surface. They're pushed out of their tubes with compressed air.
    Being dropped is not the same thing as flying.

As I said, if someone makes a mod that allows a spacecraft to operate under water I will have no problem with it. Mods are mods. SE spacecraft made from stock parts should not work under water.

2. Asaku Trainee Engineer

So.... Water confirmed?

3. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

Water suspected.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Blue, flat surfaces in temperate climates confirmed. Water suspected.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dreokor Senior Engineer

Rejoice!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Zyfe Trainee Engineer

I really hope it's not just a solid plane at a stationary height... that would NOT bode well for our ability to mine out a planet.

If somehow they managed to implement a solution for volumetric water that doesn't murder every modern PC out there, then HELL YES. Otherwise... I would prefer they don't implement water at all..

7. TheSpaceBuilder Trainee Engineer

Captain, we're taking on water. ABANDON SHIP!!!

8. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

The good news is it looks like we'll find out when planets release.

9. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

The bad news is we have to wait for planets to be released....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Logi Apprentice Engineer

This made me think if the water (if it's water and not ice) could actually be dynamic. Maybe they won't add huge bodies of water but smaller ponds here and there?

11. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

We all want huge bodies of volumetric water and pumps I would think... how much fun would that be to play with?

That said... I doubt our machines could handle it well honestly.

This is the kind of water I want (I just don't think the hardware is actually there yet for this to work in SE):

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  12. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Would people be okay if they made ice oceans but nice water Lakes/ponds? That way we get atleast a part of both worlds?

13. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I'd prefer both ice oceans, and water oceans, and ice lakes and water lakes. Preferably on different planets, so cold ones could have frozed oceans.

14. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

Oceans of mercury... Ooo or gas giants that crush ships if you go to far in, wait that's not really the same thing

15. yamlCase Trainee Engineer

Oh Snap!!! Watching this video reminded me of Sage's Ball Dropper video from 6 months ago, which means WE ALREADY HAVE VOLUMETRIC WATER!!!

16. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Beautiful...but I wonder what kind of powerhouse computer they needed to run just that demo? O_O

17. Aracus Senior Engineer

That limited volume demo? Probably not much.

18. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

Pfft, you can clearly see there's no refraction while looking at that figures legs. Step up your game nVidia!
    Moving in the right directon, but there's still much to be done to get perfect water.

19. Forgemasterhd Junior Engineer

*swooping in to be Debbie Downer*

Keep in mind that that's just little .5 meter balls, which are probably too large to create a nice flowing water; the performance hit of both increasing the amount and decreasing the size of each particle would make volumetric water quickly impractical. For all intents and purposes though, yes, we do have a form of volumetric flow (If we're playing with the conceptual premise and nothing technical, of course.)

20. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

Ya, it's also from 2 years ago and their architecture has gone a full step since then. That said, on the scale SE would need it, I don't see that happening until maybe 2018 when Volta architecture is supposed to release. If CPUs keep pace, we'll have pretty awesome games in the 2020s.

21. Spets Master Engineer

this is the water animation in this Army Sim VBS3
    is just an animated mesh with animated texture and some "physics" and particle effects for the boats. it looks good enough for me

• Like Like x 2
  22. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

As nice as that looks, i think the real issue here is that what does that mesh/map do when you cut away at the beach? does it just expand to suit? or does it create a gap? also thats a very specific engine/environment made to suit that water, im not sure its within Vrage capabilities

Cool video though

23. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I don't know about it working at that level of quality, but I imagine that they'd have the mesh "flood-fill" areas that are mined out adjacent to it. Probably divide up the water mesh based on "chunks" ala minecraft's 16x16 squares.

24. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

I didn't know about that. Why don't they put that in ArmA3? It'd definitely kick ass.
    Anyways, like @GrindyGears says, this kind of water is probably out of reach for VRage, but not only in terms of quality as @BlackUmbrellas says.

First and foremost concern being that in ArmA/VBS the world is flat and static, taking place in just one framed space (literally, as the playable area is just a big square), which means any implementation can be much more complex, as oppossed to SE, where the world is infinite and not flat; the ground is not static as it can be mined, deformed, etc; and water could be present in many different spaces (planets); and so, things have to be simplified in order not to overtax the sytem.

If all that can be accounted for, implementing "quality", as in rendering/texturing, physics reactions, general environmental behaviour (waves, density and bouyancy simulation, coluring), can all be archieved with much less trouble in conception, though as always minding performance at implementation.

Cheers

25. Demo Apprentice Engineer

Sorry found this image in one of my folders and just had to post it here.

[​IMG]

26. Spets Master Engineer

necroing :p
    I just found this video to share

27. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Ahh yes good old NVIDIA

The waves in Battlefield 4 are pretty awesome and do not require proprietary tech to function, seeing as Keen have stated Volumetric Water is too computationally heavy I would like to see it at least in a simple form.

It doesn't make sense to have ice lakes everywhere on planets that are not frozen.

Even something like Minecraft water would be interesting.

Imagine digging on a planet and hitting a water vein and then flooding the tunnel hehe

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  28. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Who keeps bumping 3 month old threads? This is like the third or fourth one I've seen today

29. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Spets did it! *points finger*

30. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Ew

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.