Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Player Shop Price Minimums are too high

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Kriby, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kriby Trainee Engineer

Hey!

Just wanted to chime in about the mandatory shop sale price minimums in player stores. I think they're way too high (Iron ingots for 143 credits??). I did some excel spreadsheets to calculate value of items with an assigned time cost and power cost. Even pricing a uranium ingot at 200k and the equivalent time slot to burn 1 uranium ingot while refining/assembling components as twice that, adding flat values for mining effort, a multiplier to cost for rarity of materials, prices for items (With a *hefty* profit) come out as fractions of the player store minimums. (for example, an iron ingot is really worth about 3 credits, and that's with a 50-100% profit margin) It just is *not* worth buying anything at a player store because players can not price their items low enough to be worth it. I think that the price minimums should be removed game-wide, or barring that, server hosts should be given an option to remove them.

If anybody has any arguments in defense of the minimums please present them because I can not see why they are useful or should be enforced so strictly.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

You do know Space Credits are not really worth anything themselves right? Lol.
    The server or host can delegate x amount of SC to anyone, and if you are doing Singleplayer you can make yourself an instant millionaire.

3. Malware Master Engineer

Indeed. In the end it's actually a technical thing. They are using high numbers to avoid using decimals. All sums are integers. There's no such thing as 0.5 credits.

4. Kriby Trainee Engineer

Neither are the currencies of any modern country, it's called Fiat currency. I still don't see people giving away all their money to strangers randomly, though. A bit more serious reply to this is that zone chips can only be bought with credits. Having zone chips lets you have a safe zone, which is really nice on a (PVP) multiplayer server. Because of that, credits have some kind of value.

Except when the server you play on doesn't do that. And just because you can give yourself infinite space credits, why does that mean that when you try to sell things, you *have to, enforced by the game itself* sell things with a minimum cost above 1 credit?

There are no decimal credits, sure. And I understand if Keen wants to keep NPC station prices high, there are a number of decent gameplay arguments you could make about that. But what I don't get is why I don't get to sell whatever I want at whatever price I want? And the minimums are ridiculously high as I mentioned before, way above what anybody should want to pay compared to just mining/manufacturing for themselves.

Not trying to put you guys on blast, I just don't see why it has to work this way. It's less fun since I want to sell things to players but the prices are way too high by default to do so.

5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I'm not going to go into why I thought this Space Credits thing was a bad idea, but what I can probably surmise is that Keen set about trying to determine what was "worth" one credit and then setting prices for things based upon that, thinking that they will just have to adjust things (balance, if you will) after some time has passed. Before the update I made jokes about setting up my own stores next to the NPC stores and charging lower prices in order to drive the NPC stores out of business. I never actually tried that, and it appears that whoever is in charge in the SE Universe decides what a credit is worth and my little plan would not succeed since I can't set my own prices. The fact that admins can change that value is moot because most simply won't because they don't understand the impact, and very possibly don't care. You can rest assured that the value will never change on a Keen server. You will be hard-pressed to undercut NPC stores.

We have an "economy", but we don't have a free market.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I want to black market some contraband...you know...like some really primo uranium and magnesium. Guaranteed to get you off. That sort of thing. And pirate wenches.

7. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

I want total control over a shop I build. No Fees if you don't have a network to sell over and there is no government you can oppose. Doesn't make any sense. And I want to set the prices as I want. Or a good explanation why I can't so.

8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

You can still give stuff to players without charging them anything. Set up a cargo container anyone can access place what you want to give away in it..Add an LCD free to good home. :)

9. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

You can also just drop it, but that's not the question. I don't want to give it away, I want to sell it for money, and for the amount of money I decide freely.

BTW, an auction style sale would also be nice to have. Highest bidder in a given time gets the item.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.