Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Please change character limit in code editor for ingame scripts

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by guran, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. guran Trainee Engineer

Can you please raise or remove the character limit of 100k from the code editor?

The amount of code tells nothing about the quality. Complex function just need space, and some of the best scripts (T.I.M as example) cant be extended because of the character limit.

2. Malware Master Engineer

The character limit is there due to data transfer, not code quality or performance.

People often use code minifiers to fit more code into the limits.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  3. guran Trainee Engineer

Hi Malware,
    thank you for your answer, but i dont fully understand. What kind of data transfer are we talking about?
    About something inside SE, the internet lines in global, or is this a restriction of STEAM to keep things small?

4. Malware Master Engineer

Multiplayer. When you change a program, that program is transferred to all other clients. In addition to all the other data that's going.

Personally I think it could be easily doubled but this is what I was told. They don't seem very willing to increase it. We have tried a few times.

5. Zeys Trainee Engineer

6. guran Trainee Engineer

Ah ok, now i got it!

I ask myself if this kind of transfere causes impacting bottlenecks. 100k of unicode, without compression that's 220k data included some tcp overhead, compressed maybe 50k.
    Hmm .... maybe a few years ago this might have been an argument, but today, in times every client can stream HD video?

The argument sounds very outdated te me.

7. gothosan Junior Engineer

Why not allowing players to mod it?
    It could be a safe way to test the limits and for players who don't play MP it would allow more code in SP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Malware Master Engineer

@guran But in a streaming application you don't have to run a performance hungry, physics-heavy game with many physics elements and other time-critical operations at the same time. Also not everybody has the same internet capability.
    --- Automerge ---
    @gothosan As far as I'm concerned, both the code limit and the instruction limit should be moddable. Both to increase and decrease.

9. gothosan Junior Engineer

We should work toward that then, the main reason why I have yet to finish some of the scripts I want is because the limit of 100k characters and the fact that blank lines and comments also count toward the limit, having it moddable will benefit everyone

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.