Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Please Help Save The Pressurization Feature

Discussion in 'General' started by Malware, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

The safety lock was terrible and I'm glad to see it gone. Had to say it.

This game needs immersion. To be frank, I'm all for pressurization. It's a must have when I play, but, it's already there and 'works' enough to put up with it for now. We need survival content more than fixes to something that's already there.

I'd rather the argument be 'We love it, so promise not to abandon, and fix it after Survival Major Revision is released'.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Ironviper42 Trainee Engineer

Please keep Air tightness Keen. Don't remove things or put them in "Experimental"! Because this feature allows more immersion to the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sir_Kings_Alot Trainee Engineer

Cynicism is the bane of your sanity. Dont assume malice here. Its completely useless.

4. Malware Master Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lander1 Trainee Engineer

I ALWAYS use the airtight setting in game. It needs to be kept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@Malware actually right now i literally can't have a single cockpit on a Rotor for a basic ship without the damn thing whiggling around in offline singleplayer. Share Tensor, Rotor "lock", both, neither... doesn't matter. I don't know what people build that makes the current "Rotor Lock" work for them but it doesn't get much more basic than "1 Block" and it's not working for me.

7. Malware Master Engineer

@Commander Rotal Either way that's a separate issue, for a separate report, for a separate voting. It has nothing to do with this.

It is really simple. Add a new suggestion/report and have people vote. That's all I am doing, for things that I care about.

This is the only way we have to influence them, whether or not it actually works.

Heck; I'll vote for such a post myself :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. gothosan Junior Engineer

On a side note.. If I understand correctly I need to set the experimental mode for using both scripts and air tightness?
    I can't find that setting on the properties page for the game on steam..

9. Malware Master Engineer

@gothosan Correct. You need to go into the game options.

10. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

"And my axe" :tu: in other words I couldn't agree more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@Malware my appologies, i wasn't trying to derail.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. Hazee Daze Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  13. Saphi Trainee Engineer

I wish there should be also a more complex survival mode, with food, heat-system and "bio recycling". I like the idea to design a ship with those systems.

14. Malware Master Engineer

@Saphi Feel free to suggest it at the site. Food and stuff has plenty of resistance in the community though. Because it's been done the bad way in so many games already. Might be a good idea to split the idea into multiples, so you don't kill "heat-system" because you included food there - for example.

But this thread is about pressure ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    Come on, guys, 5 more votes and we pass 200 :p
    --- Automerge ---
    (darned automerge :mad:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Arcturus Senior Engineer

I made vote #200!

Side topic: current pressurization algorithm description and complexity? Possible ways to optimize? Hey, we have a bunch of brainpower that wants the problem solved.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Smokki Trainee Engineer

I think it's safe to say that the message has been received ;). Had to still make an account to vote for this, couldn't see playing SE without having pressurization on.

17. GrimmSpector Trainee Engineer

I have to agree, it needs this to be what we enjoy largely. It doesn't have a lot of the survival requirements, being able to build a safe space and the danger of having that safe space compromised is really necessary to the strong flow of gameplay. Plus being able to breathe on that earth-like world is super key to making it feel like you're not just alone in space hoping to find some ice.

18. KissSh0t Master Engineer

While I do feel a bit undecided about food being a gameplay mechanic in SE, I must say one of the best implementations of food in a video game that I have seen so far has been in the game Kingdom Come Deliverance.

Also, I voted on pressurization topic too because it is one of the features that actually added something interesting to the game.

19. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I am very passionate about hunger being a fundamental element of any sort of SE gameplay that addresses "surviveability" on any level. You can see the most recent community resistance in this thread. However, I'm with Malware in believing this is most fundamental.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I voted in support.

As in another thread, I think that this suggests that KSH has a different sense of what "core gameplay" is from a lot of the players. I'd always read it as basically a space-themed model railroad construction set, with the stubs of other forms of gameplay attached to that base. I'd always been puzzled why they weren't gradually adding decorative blocks, and in fact had said they didn't intend to. What other sandbox game doesn't allow you to create and decorate living spaces? So it was quite a surprise to learn that one of the developers didn't consider even pressurization to be gameplay. I'd thought it one of the three core engineering challenges: a functioning ship needs power and pressurization, and if it's going to come near a planet, a minimum of 1G sustained thrust. Without pressurization, it barely seems like there's a game of engineering in space at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. frannic Apprentice Engineer

The more i think about it, the more it pisses me of that these 2 game mechanics (programming block, presssure) are not considered fundamental while being in the game for so long.
    This way this game should not be called space engineers but space wars.
    Build a ship, shoot eachother and done....
    Next round.

22. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Even without other survival mechanics pressurisation should be part of SE. We are designing ships in space, pressurisation is just as much of a design consideration, and challenge at times, as working out thrust required to lift off, how many gyros for a desired turn rate and such like.

As it is pressurisation simply works, there is no need to make it any more complicated than it already is I just want Keen to maintain what they currently have in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Malware Master Engineer

@May Rears It doesn't need to be more complicated, no. It probably need to be less complicated as the current version is not performance friendly - which is why they put it into Experimental in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Terminal_6 Trainee Engineer

Airtightness has always dictated my builds to a degree. I only play in creative (might change with the new multiplayer) but build my ships with the intent that they're viable in survival. It still adds an engineering challenge to the game. I hope that by the time Keen gets airtightness into a "desirable" state, they find a way to give it more gameplay value. Give people a reason to want to take the helmet off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Malware Master Engineer

@Terminal_6 If they even try. Which is what this post and the vote is all about... To make sure they see that there's value to trying ;)

• Like Like x 1
  26. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Same here. I'm not sure I could play SE without some form of challenge/risk involved with survival.

Maybe not worth much, but three of my steam friends bought the game purely because of the pressurization system a couple of years ago. They, like me, do not play it without pressurization enabled. I'm curious how many others bought it for the same reason.

I understand why they've downgraded it to experimental, but really it should (and hopefully will) be updated and optimized in a later update. It's a really fun and interesting gameplay mechanic which I think adds some much-needed challenge to the game. For those that don't like the feature, it's always been optional, so that's a non-issue.

Removing it would be, dare I say, a big mistake. Definitely with you 100% on this @Malware!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  27. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Pressurization has always been a a major USP for this game - to me as well. I bought it long before pressurization was introduced but always built in a way that the ships could easily be airtight because I liked the immersion behind that thought. Boy was I happy when it actually got added. Even if my larger builds need to turn it off because performance I still build with pressurization in mind. This creates challenges for me and new ways to immerse: is there an area in the station or ship that I don't visit often? I may as well think about putting it outside the O2 area. Compartments for air preservation? Only in ships likely to get into combat or be damaged. Medical bays? Always a refuge area with an extra seal. Vents? Hate them, they are a mess to place - try to put them where they don't disturb. A construction game / engineering game that already has ridiculously short production chains and not a large amount of blocks all in all needs every iota of engineering challenge it can get. I am all your suggestion, Malware.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Me too. In fact, Space Engineers has replaced model railroading for me as a hobby cause it takes up less space. Model railroaders would understand the need for pressurization in a game like SE. They wouldn't be going, "Why would you want that?"

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  29. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

to me pressurization is one of the most important components to being in space and makes it feel so much more like being in space. Without pressurization there's no reason to design airtight ships, to ever take off your mask. In the humble opinion of this engineer, oxygen in this game has been largely ignored, and is more of a nuisance than an actual element. Hopefully the survival update adds more pressure (tehe) to utilizing oxygen properly, and building ships correctly. Nothing would be more awesome for pressure to be reintroduced into the game, and imagine, IMAGINE shooting at an enemy ship, breaching the hull and watching them float out into space.

Honestly though I can see why it was put on the chopping block since the multiplayer update was already a 6 month affair and optimizing and making it work would have been too much of a hassle to reasonably put in within a decent timeframe, hopefully it gets addressed in the survival update.
    You have my vote.

30. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Not to DERAIL this topic... But if you want to play with model railroading in an unlimited space, check out the game Rolling Line. And for an investment of probably less than a typical layout, get an Oculus and REALLY enjoy it.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.